NASCAR Camping - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

New Jersey
NASCAR Camping

We plan to go to a track this season but don't know what to plan for. I'm sure there are no hook ups but not sure. A generator might be to noisy considering how close you have to set up to your neighbors. Just wondering if anyone who has done this if you might have some advice. What else can we talk about in the middle of winter? Thanks for any help I can get.
Marty

Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

Wyoming
You are correct... most places will be boondocking, dry camping... whatever you wanna call it.

Some tracks have begun installing hookups, but those are normally reserved as soon as they become available by those who have been going for years. Also, don't expect to get a 'prime spot' near the track, as those are also reserved at least a year in advance by the same people who have been in them for years. And if you should happen to get one, you'll want/need to arrive no later than on a Wednesday so you'll be able to maneuver into your space before the place gets too congested.

Not saying any of this to discourage you into not going... just don't want you to expect too much.

Each track is, of course, different... with different things to offer. In general, the larger tracks will have more spaces/area, while the smaller tracks have very limited space.

You'll probably wanna make sure you have your fresh water tank filled to the gills. Some places do have a 'honey wagon' that comes around daily to allow you to dump the black & grey tanks. Running the generator during the day occasionally shouldn't be an issue, but your neighbors won't want to hear it at night.

Cookouts & parties are everywhere... horseshoes, card games, and camp fires are common in the days & evenings leading to the races.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

New Jersey
Thanks. if all the stars line up we like to go to Martinsville. Should I buy a small generator because I have a 6500watt deal but it ain't quit.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Plan on getting to Martinsville plenty of days early, or you will be setting up on a slope. Learned that the hard way, pulled in on Thursday afternoon and ended up using all my leveling wood and was right next to a group of campers that had a large generator for all. Very noisy. I carry a piece or two of insulation board and a couple of stakes to block neighbor generator noise. It is dry camping but is one of my favorite tracks. Check out the track web site - campground opens 1 week early, and it fills up fast. Campers are allowed to reserve adjacent sites when they are set up so the available space shrinks rapidly. Nice thing about Martinsville is that it is cool at night so no need to run the generator at night. I stopped going a few years ago when I traded the trailer in on the current toy hauler, too big for Martinsville for my liking.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC)
Denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #5

British Columbia
Noise wasn't a problem at Dover, everyone made lots of it.

I'm hoping to get to Martinsville next year too.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #6

Michigan
Everyone at the tracks expects generators humming 24/7. It's part of life at the tracks and acceptable.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

New York
We go to various racetracks Pocono - we drove to, only an hour from where we lived - Daytona - we did stay infield; Charlotte & Dover........we camped just outside the tracks.
Dover - we park in a mall parking lot & it is dry camping, but they do have water trucks delivering water and honey suckers running around all weekend. At Charlotte, we choose to camp at a full service campground - yes it is very crowded and people are tight (we were their for race week- so there for a full week) and that was enjoyable.....and it was only about 1/2 mile walk to the track.....
So that is another avenue that you may want to explore......
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

New Jersey
We made reservation for Dover in May. This will be our time using our RV so it should be a interesting learning experience. The good part is we're a few hours away and our son is meeting us Sat. so if need be he can bring anything we might have forgot. Maybe we'll meet some of you there. 88 and 14 fans.