More issues... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

More issues...

So we went to Couer D'Alene Idaho this past weekend. On the second night we noticed our lights were dim but didn't think too much of it until we were going to bed and the furnace didn't kick in. We turned off all of the lights and then things started working again so we figured we were just drawing more off the 12V supply than the converter could recharge at. Second night comes around (we hardly used anything in the camper during the day) and same thing - little to no power. Luckily I brought an electric heater so was able to use that. However, I didn't have enough power to put the awning back in but it wasn't windy so I left it out. Well it rained through the night and we woke up to a loud noise that turned out to be our awning collapsing (more like crumpling) - I even had it on the steepest pitch setting. Wasn't even sure how to get it off so was a little panicked when thought we mght be stuck there but then I figured it out and wasn't that difficult to remove. Of course, finding a place to put the rolled up awning inside such that it wouldn't move around was a challenge - good thing we have a long trailer! Anyway, taking it to the dealer tonight. We have another trip planned in two weeks - what are the chances they will have all this fixed by then?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Re: More issues...

Sounds like another eventful trip.Bad enough for the power to start draining but for the awning to collapse is just crazy man. I bet there were a few choice words thrown around. Let us know what the dealer says & if they cover everything.Good luck.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Choice words is right! If someone had of offered me $20k for this thing around this time yesterday, I very well might have taken it. Well at least I had an 8-hr drive afterwards to fume about it. And to think, I got out of racing so I wouldn't have to deal with unexpected failures anymore and tight timelines - nix that. One thing I will say is that it doesn't matter how much you pay for an RV, they all seem to be built like absolute crap. It's almost as if there is no quality control whatsoever. My buddy has a $300K Phaeton motorhome and a ton of stuff has broken on his as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #4

British Columbia

....I thought the new electric awnings were well engineered...but I guess not. I agree with you about the quality control or the lack of. We bought the extended warranty for our unit

In full service hook ups we use our electric heater, it is very quiet and has 2 heat settings ...saves the propane usage. We also bring along a 2 burner electric heat plate to cook out side.....saves propane as well...my thinking is we are paying for the electricity in full hookups anyways.

Good luck with the dealer. A bit of a pain to hook up and take it to the dealer...too bad you can' t get a loaner...
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the sympathy, it helps, trust me. I apologize for my negative post above as well because if the dealer comes good for it, nothing really to complain about. I was just totally surprised how an awning that SHOULD BE designed to shed water ends up breaking under the weight of the water it captured. Regardless, lesson learned. The awning will never stay out in the rain unattended ever again, which means packing up and putting away anything that shouldn't get wet under it. I think the biggest thing is that it's rather embarrassing when you're out camping with friends and their little 10 year old trailer performs flawlessly and your brand new $35k rig is falling apart around you. I guess it is just teething pains but man, what a way to show it! I'm just glad my buddy's wife, who was near our trailer, only got wet and didn't get hurt when it broke. Hopefully this is the last of the issues and we can get on with enjoying the summer and not running back and forth to the dealer, which is a half hour away. At least I don't have any delamination, water leakage or any other such MAJOR issues (knock on wood).
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Washington

We've put 6k miles on our 289RK in the last 2 months and are going to put another 6k on it getting home.
The only major problem we've had is that the Corian countertop in the kitchen broke in half....and the dealer has a new one on order. Don't know if it was a product issue or installation issue, but I understand that there were several other Denali in stock that the dealer went and checked and found that the kitchen counter had broken.....other VERY minor things like a stripped window crank and a stove burner lighter that does not work (a hand held butane lighter works really well) ......other than that, full time living in our Denali for 7 weeks has been great! LOVE the pillow top mattress and I sleep better in the TT than at home!

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #7

I think your sentiments ring true for those of us whom have purchased our first trailers. It is very frustrating to spend so much money and have things fall off, leak or find wrong all because of quality or design.
I too have been posting about our issues and as of today our dealer has been great to work with and all issues have been repaired or parts ordered.
But still frustrating
Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Maryland

I can definately feel everyones pain when it comes to the issues, you would think you would only get problems like this from a used camper.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

I read all the warnings about new campers having lots of issues until shakedown is complete. I just want shakedown to be over now please! Lol

update on mine - converter was toast. New one going in next week. Looking like awning will be covered as well.

On a side note, the big national rally is in town this weekend and I am sitting on the sidelines (in moral agony) as I sold my race car to buy this camper. All I can say, is it better be worth it and this camper better not be more trouble than it's worth as watching all those rally cars tear away from the ceremonial start off to the mountains for 2 days of automtove bliss nearly killed me. My kids are 3 and 13 so hope that the memories we have with this camper are worth more than the ones I am missing out on this weekend!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

British Columbia

Glad the repairs are covered by warranty and yes it is worth it especially for your kids.
Canada
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #11

Glad everything is covered JC. I'm sure all the kids memories of camping in that trailer will be good ones. The more things go wrong, the more the kids will be laughing at dad getting frustrated.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

California

Definitley worth it! My kids have been camping since they were 6 months old. Plenty of memories for us and the in-laws!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #13

Actually, there were a lot of people out camping on the rally stages today. So that will be my plan from now on - go camping along rally routes and then we can spectate rallies out in the woods at almost the comfort of home!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #14

Sounds like a good plan JC.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #15

Picked up the camper yesterday and can confirm that everything was indeed covered under warranty. I am actually very impressed with their lack of fight on this one. I thought they might give me a hard time on the awning and force me into an argument about it but no such thing. I didn't even have a single conversation about whether it would be covered or not, it just was. Happy camper now, and very pleased with Sunridge's ability to step up to the plate and go to bat for the customer!! In fact, I am going to send them an email telling them such.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #16

California

Great to hear! I'm so happy everything went smoothly for you! Excellent customer service goes a long way!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #17

British Columbia

thejean...did u find out what caused the awning to collapse ?
Canada
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #18

Thats great news JC. Glad it all worked out...When you out next ?

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #19

what quality control...lol thats a joke
some times camping is cheaper than racing , but doesnt sound like it in this case. home track top gun,nevada
strodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
thejean...did u find out what caused the awning to collapse ?
Not really. The only thing I can figure is that the motor allowed the awning to unwind a little over the course of the night allowing a belly to develop in the canopy, which allowed too much water to sit on it. When I went to tighten it before I went to bed I didn't have enough power left in the batteries to even budge it so I just said **** it (it was after midnight and the truck wasn't parked in front of the camper due to the campsite layout). That was a mistake. If that ever happens again (converter fails) I'll be moving the truck around if I have to and connecting up and putting the awning in. If the neighbours don't like it, too damn bad.