Main Slide Slow Retract 2014 289RK - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2015, 04:00 AM   #1

California
Main Slide Slow Retract 2014 289RK

Hello-

Is there anyone out there that has experienced a slow retract on the main slide on the 2014 Dutchman 289RK? Several times I have had to push to assist the slide as it first starts to retract. Seems like it starts out very slow and then picks up momentum. Some times it reacts as if it has a dead battery and simply does nothing. Batteries charged when this happens.

I spoke with a gentleman several months back that had the same issue with a 2013 model and apparently the main slide motor was too small for the unit? Batteries have been fully charged when this has occurred. This is a Lippert Unit. Thanks in advance for any intel on this issue from this group.

brednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Illinois
Can't speak to your specific model, but all the experienced guys on this forum emphatically say that you should only use your slides on the generator or plugged in, and not off battery, regardless of charged condition. Curious if this addresses your issue. Good luck.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

California
Rusty,

Thanks for the observation and good advice. I will try it and see if it makes a difference and report back to the group on my findings. We are taking it out for a few days soon and will have a good opportunity to give it a shot. The model is a 2014 Dutchman Denali 289RK.
brednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by brednose View Post
Rusty,

Thanks for the observation and good advice. I will try it and see if it makes a difference and report back to the group on my findings. We are taking it out for a few days soon and will have a good opportunity to give it a shot. The model is a 2014 Dutchman Denali 289RK.
We have the exact same rig and even plugged in, the slide starts off slow and then picks up speed as it retracts. Remember, that is a BIG slide and is very heavy so it takes a lot to get it started but once it's in about a foot, it takes about 15secs to fully retract. I wouldn't worry unless your slide keeps moving very slow after a foot or so, IMHO. Ours, plugged in or not takes about 20-25secs to fully retract from start to finish. I lube the big rails and gears under the track with an anti-rust and lubrication spray, T40, from Krown Rustproofing. It serves a dual purpose and reduces the creaking noises.

We are leaving today for 10wks of camping and will be changing sites a lot (but all in the same park) so the trailer's systems will be put to the test (before the warranty expires next May). We already have 35 days in and had to take it back for a few minor fixes and adjustments but other than that, we just love it!!!!

Hope this eases your mind......
Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 AM   #5

Missouri
One suggestion for you. If you don't have A/C Power, make sure the power cord is hooked up to the tow vehicle and the vehicle is running. This will give you a little extra voltage to help move the slide. It is a big load on the batteries for the slide to operate.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Colorado
We had slow retract and extend issues with our main slide.

Watched the video on lubricating the Lippert slides...that took care of the problem. They move smoothly with our without AC power.

Going to start lubing them frequently. Only takes a few minutes.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote