Low Point Drains - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Georgia
Low Point Drains

Good morning!

New member here, hoping for a little help.

I recently purchased a Coleman 2515 RL, 2019 year model. I had it delivered to me from a dealer in Jackson Mississippi, I am in Georgia.

We are not off to a great start with this trailer. It was delivered with a broken shower drain and a nonfunctioning AC unit. I have gotten those problems rectified with zero help from the dealer. Anyway, I didn’t come to complain.

My next issue that I’ve recently discovered is that I have no low point drains. The underbelly is sealed which makes finding them difficult. I’m hoping they are tucked up under there somewhere and the factory simply forgot to pull them down.

There is a drain for the freshwater tank but no drains for the hot or cold lines. I called Dutchman and they said they would be to the left of the steps above the axle. They are not there, just the freshwater holding tank.

So, I was hoping somebody here might have the same model and could give me a picture or description of where they might be located or if the factory simply forgot to install them.

I’m a little frustrated to say the least but I appreciate any help anyone might could offer.

Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Good morning!

I recently purchased a Coleman 2515 RL, 2019 year model. I had it delivered to me from a dealer in Jackson Mississippi, I am in Georgia.

We are not off to a great start with this trailer. It was delivered with a broken shower drain and a nonfunctioning AC unit. I have gotten those problems rectified with zero help from the dealer. Anyway, I didn’t come to complain.

My next issue that I’ve recently discovered is that I have no low point drains. The underbelly is sealed which makes finding them difficult. I’m hoping they are tucked up under there somewhere and the factory simply forgot to pull them down.

There is a drain for the freshwater tank but no drains for the hot or cold lines. I called Dutchman and they said they would be to the left of the steps above the axle. They are not there, just the freshwater holding tank.

So, I was hoping somebody here might have the same model and could give me a picture or description of where they might be located or if the factory simply forgot to install them.

I’m a little frustrated to say the least but I appreciate any help anyone might could offer.
They should be VERY close to where you connect your water supply. Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear you are having issues. We have several PRE-DELIVERY check lists here on this site so you can grab one of them and go over it for your first trip BACK to a dealer for Warranty Work.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Wisconsin
What for?

So far your issues sound typical of low price point TT's. My 2017 Kodiak Cub was far worse and continues to loose parts.

We lost the TV antennae and rear mount spare tire on the last trip; rear bumper end caps previous trip; marker light lenses trip before that. Inside, glass cook top, decorative window trim, and microwave fell off. "All Season" enclosed and heated underbelly was not usable below 32 degrees F. Tongue weight was more than double Dutchmen's specifications. Etc.

You can get along without low point drains. The only time I use mine is when flushing the pipes. They are a nuisance in this case. They are just two more taps to flush. Winterizing using RV antifreeze or the blow out method also don't need low point drains.

What do you use them for?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #4

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They should be VERY close to where you connect your water supply. Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear you are having issues. We have several PRE-DELIVERY check lists here on this site so you can grab one of them and go over it for your first trip BACK to a dealer for Warranty Work.
Thanks. I’m sure you’re correct. I believe that’s where they were supposed to be as it seems the logical place tracing the plumbing around.

They just forgot them at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E791C08-86FA-4C70-B70B-A8FF7405DE0E.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	5492  
Old 06-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
So far your issues sound typical of low price point TT's. My 2017 Kodiak Cub was far worse and continues to loose parts.

We lost the TV antennae and rear mount spare tire on the last trip; rear bumper end caps previous trip; marker light lenses trip before that. Inside, glass cook top, decorative window trim, and microwave fell off. "All Season" enclosed and heated underbelly was not usable below 32 degrees F. Tongue weight was more than double Dutchmen's specifications. Etc.

You can get along without low point drains. The only time I use mine is when flushing the pipes. They are a nuisance in this case. They are just two more taps to flush. Winterizing using RV antifreeze or the blow out method also don't need low point drains.

What do you use them for?
Mine seems to be built ok. That said, I’ve spent the first three weeks going over everything with a fine tooth comb fixing all the things that were done shoddy at the factory. Mostly it’s small things that maybe most wouldn’t notice...but I’m a bit of a perfectionist that way.... things like reinforcing this shower floor, straightening crooked trim, adjusting cabinet doors, etc. etc.

There is no doubt that there is very little attention to detail in construction, and that service after the sale is not important to most dealers, at least not camping world.

I’m a long-time boat owner, and an RV seems to be very similar. Fixing the little problems before they get big and preventative maintenance makes things last longer.

And it’s not so much that I need them as much as it is they are supposed to be there

I knew a little bit about what I was getting into, It’s certainly not $100,000 airstream
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #6

Alabama
My 17 Coleman 2405bh doesn't seem to have any either. sounds like we have the same set up. all I have is the fresh tank drain around the axle to the left of the stairs. When it came to winterizing I used compressed air to blow the lines clear. If I do have some they are tucked away under the enclosure somewhere
jhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat View Post
My 17 Coleman 2405bh doesn't seem to have any either. sounds like we have the same set up. all I have is the fresh tank drain around the axle to the left of the stairs. When it came to winterizing I used compressed air to blow the lines clear. If I do have some they are tucked away under the enclosure somewhere
Ok...that makes sense. Perhaps they’ve done away with them even though the generic manual says that they all have them.

Thanks for the reply, thought I was crazy!
Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #8

Tennessee
Have you checked on the outside of the frame? Mine are right behind the rear tire just behind the outside skirting. It's all fun and games pretending you don't have any until they freeze solid and break the caps next winter.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Have you checked on the outside of the frame? Mine are right behind the rear tire just behind the outside skirting. It's all fun and games pretending you don't have any until they freeze solid and break the caps next winter.
Well, I stand in amazement...and feeling a little stupid too. I have crawled on my back looking at every inch of the bottom.

After reading your post, I took my flashlight outside in the dark and checked all around the skirt and there they were. In an obscure location tucked up next to the skirt, next to the slide.

I’ll be.... I looked for hours to find those things.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:44 AM   #10

Alabama
Well I guess I will be back under mine in the morning, may have missed them as well. Glad you found yours Beck
Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #11

Wyoming
Happy all is resolved for you and jhat as well! Welcome to the forum both of you!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Well, I stand in amazement...and feeling a little stupid too. I have crawled on my back looking at every inch of the bottom.
How do you think I found mine? I had no idea some plumbing would be on the outside of the camper. I've had that "stupid" feeling on my camper no less than 50 times.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

Alabama
Thanks guys! After taking another look to the right of the slide, under the outside shower. BINGO! I’ve been through 2 winters with this camper and consider myself lucky that I didn’t have a burst pipe.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #14

Georgia
Well, it turned out to be good. Looking outside the frame lead me to the discovery that the copper line to my water heater was kinked nearly closed where the factory had tried to shove it up against the floor. When I pulled it straight it snapped off.

So I took the opportunity to redo the line correctly and install a propane quick connect too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98B1BAA7-4548-4953-98E9-B33ABFA3F738.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5499  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
How do you think I found mine? I had no idea some plumbing would be on the outside of the camper. I've had that "stupid" feeling on my camper no less than 50 times.
Only fifty?!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #16

Alabama
My low point drains were in the middle of the under belly. I ran lines out to the side of my fiver. Built a bracket from some 1/8 inch aluminum and fixed them next to all the other drains and inputs. No more crawling under the trailer to drain them.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #17

Arizona
Glad you found the drains. Mine were located almost under the slide just behind the rear axle...port side. Two sets! I had to look up to see them.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #18

Colorado
Low Point Drains

Quote:
Good morning!

Hello, I am not sure if you have found the low point drains as of yet, but my brother in-law has a trailer similar to mine and he showed me where they are generally located. If you will check under your trailer directly underneath the bathroom sink you will find them right up against the skirting. One should be red for the water heater and the other blue for the main line. The fresh water tank drain should located by the tank itself.
Hope this helps.
sgtwaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:23 AM   #19

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtwaken View Post
Hello, I am not sure if you have found the low point drains as of yet….
You’re not sure?!??

This post was made THREE YEARS AGO! If they haven’t found them by now, they never will.

Check the dates, people… sheesh.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
You’re not sure?!??

This post was made THREE YEARS AGO! If they haven’t found them by now, they never will.

Check the dates, people… sheesh.
the sarge is trying to be helpful which we can appreciate. Tom is correct though. Some of the posts are old and the original poster never came back to “close the post” with any information related to the solution.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote