looking for heating advice - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #21

Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Purchased a new 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL last year (30 ft long total, 26 ft box length). One thing we noticed is that are NO heating vents OR ducted heating (trust me - there are no heating vents anywhere on or near the floor, and we popped the belly open and there are no ducts). There is a heater for sure near the rear bunk beds, but it only puts out heat from that one location into the main space of the trailer. I have seen these types of heaters in small pop-up trailers. We were concerned about the master bedroom getting heat as it is the farthest away, and especially if/when the bedroom doors are closed. We were also surprised to see that nearly every other 2018 Dutchmen travel trailer, both longer AND shorter, had heating vents.

I called Dutchmen and they looked up my trailer by VIN, and said the plans show ducted heating AND vents at multiple locations. They committed to "fix it".

My question is this: Assuming Dutchmen and my dealer are willing and able to somehow convert to a heater with ducts and vents, is it a good idea? I keep hearing stories of the bathroom being too hot etc.

Is there any downside, risk, or liability in putting vents/ducts into a trailer that for whatever reason, didn't come with them? Should I just keep what we have and keep our bedroom doors open a crack?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!
I have the same trailer I have two vents and the rest of the heat comes thru the air-condition vents I adjust the thermostat to heat.

Robert R Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #22

Arizona
I have the same trailer I have 2 vents on the floor and the rest of the heat comes thru my ac vents I adjust the thermostat to heat. I have the 2019 Kodiak.

Robert R Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #23

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AETHERIA View Post
Hello, I am not sure it will be cost effective to have a dealer do it (a good job I mean) I have a Kodiak 201QB and just installed a Dometic (Attwood AFSD16111) 16000btu ducted unit to replace the suburban 19000btu direct discharge, noise maker. I have 2 x 4" vents in the main area and a 2" outlet in the bath which controls any heating / overheating issues. I used all insulated ducting and took a 2" , restricted flow duct to the belly as well. the unit is mounted just forward of the water heater and slightly above it which is in the bathroom. It was a massive undertaking but I can assure you it was well worth the pain and sore joints, we can now sleep at nights. It is very quiet and I can hardly hear it running. heats better than the larger 19000 Sunburn. If you do it yourself be sure to follow vent sizing, especially return as these issues are very important so as the furnace itself does not overheat and become a fire risk. Hope this helps.
Yes - we would only do this if it was free. The direct discharge heater is loud but works fairly fine....I just worry about the bedroom getting cold. They would have to replace the furnace and be careful to do it right given wiring etc. and with quality. A lot to ask a dealer sometimes. We'll see what happens.
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #24

Utah
Haha. Yeah - I too am waiting to see the outcome. We will see.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #25

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R Wynn View Post
I have the same trailer I have 2 vents on the floor and the rest of the heat comes thru my ac vents I adjust the thermostat to heat. I have the 2019 Kodiak.
Wait, you have the 255BHSL and have floor vents for heat???!! I thought traditional trailers had vents on/near the floor for heating, and ceiling vents for A/C. I have hard of some 5th wheels where the rooftop A/C unit converts to a heat pump, but...

May I ask what heater make and model is in your unit then?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #26

Michigan
If Dutchman is going to do it free, as they should, I not only would let them, I'd demand it. There is no liability, or Dutchman wouldn't do it. As far as the bathroom, you can have them put in a register that will open and close.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #27

Washington
The heated underbelly is intended to get heat from the ducts passing through the underbelly not direct air blowing into it. The farther away from the furnace from the given vent is the less the heat at that vent.
I would get the free install of ducts but you decide where you want them and tell them you want smaller tubing at the far end of the rv so you still have pressure for air flow for heat at that point. It’s better to have a propane heat and not need it than to not have it and need it. I love my mr big buddy and portable electric heaters but I like being able to turn on my furnace on in the morning to get the coach warmed up quick.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #28

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Haha. Yeah - I too am waiting to see the outcome. We will see.
Hi, Any update on this? Contemplating a 227BH but also noticed only has direct heat output, which would be technically a downgrade from our current ducted furnace on our old unit. Not sure if it's a deal-breaker or not, regarding noise and heat distribution. Thanks!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:31 PM   #29

Utah
update

So, here's an update for the individual who asked...

We are still surprised that Dutchmen put a single-point direct discharge heater in a 26 ft box length travel trailer. IMO, that is too large of a unit to not have vents in more than one location. It worked fairly well and distributed heat well enough (as long as you kept the master bedroom doors open a little). But again, not my preferred best option.

Dutchmen ended up admitting their error as they had misread the design plans when telling me that my unit was manufactured incorrectly. Turns out that the 255 BHSL (which no longer appears to be made) was always designed with a single point output furnace. Dutchmen sent me a check for my inconvenience and we sold the unit. The new one we have is smaller (22 ft box) and could easily get away with a single output but has vented heat (but only in two locations low to the floor but on the wall, which I like so as to not be stepping on vents everywhere). The furnace is still about as loud.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #30

Quebec
Ok, good to know that it worked somehow decently. I guess some layouts are more complicated than others to route the vents through the cabinets and around appliances, leading manufacturers to make such choices based on their costs / benefits mainly.

Thanks for the feedback!

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote