Living in freezing weather - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

Florida
Living in freezing weather

I have a 2013 dutchmen aerolite 282DBHS I'm going out of town to work in New Jersey and was wondering what I would need to do to survive the freezing temperatures. I know I can winterize it but would like to keep the water working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mac90483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac90483 View Post
I have a 2013 dutchmen aerolite 282DBHS I'm going out of town to work in New Jersey and was wondering what I would need to do to survive the freezing temperatures. I know I can winterize it but would like to keep the water working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wouldn't be winterized if you intend on having flowing water. First thing would be to protect your incoming water supply from freezing. The rest is up to chance, can't leave a faucet open for fear of filling the gray tank or if you let the gray water free flow to the ground it will possibly freeze also.
I have a five gallon jug of fresh water in the RV for when I freeze up. I can disconnect the water supply, drain it and only hope I don't need the water. I usually do because somewhere in the RV a water line will freeze regardless.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #3

Arizona
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17c33667e019fc

Check out the above link, Camco 22911 25' Taste Pure Heated Drinking Water Hose with Thermostat

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:44 AM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
can't leave a faucet open for fear of filling the gray tank or if you let the gray water free flow to the ground it will possibly freeze also. .
You can, of course, allow a slow trickle of water if you are connected to a sewer connection, and your gray valve is open. A little pink antifreeze, along with the blue stuff and "other stuff" in the black tank, along with keeping the cabin warm, should keep the black tank from freezing.
I wouldn't push it down much past the 20's at night, with above-freezing temps during the day. If it's colder than that, all bets are off!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Oklahoma
I guess our member, calejohnson, that lives in Maryland in his RV would be the go to guy for freeze protection.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
You should also protect the low point & water tank drain lines that hang down below the floor insulation. Be careful if you use heat tape. Some tape can not be wrapped around the pipe or overlap itself. Keeping the cabin warm will help keep your tanks from freezing up.

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote