Leaking Slideout - 2010 Dutchmen 28BGS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Leaking Slideout - 2010 Dutchmen 28BGS

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone else can help identify this problem. When my slideout is extended or closed I get water coming in from the wall/top metal seam above the slideout. Is this a bulb seal or something else? I took pics (see attached) when slide was closed and i see lots of screws that were never set flush; guessing they could be root cause since they were never tight to maintain seal. The water seems to be coming in between the white metal and the wood of the wall.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Leak Spot 1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Leak Spot 2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Leak Spot 3.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1131  

Skynrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #2

Utah
Sorry I am unable to help with your problem, But if it was me I would get it into a Dealer or RV repair facility pronto as a water leak can do serious damage to interior walls and flooring.
Mel

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynrd View Post
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone else can help identify this problem. When my slideout is extended or closed I get water coming in from the wall/top metal seam above the slideout. Is this a bulb seal or something else? I took pics (see attached) when slide was closed and i see lots of screws that were never set flush; guessing they could be root cause since they were never tight to maintain seal. The water seems to be coming in between the white metal and the wood of the wall.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Lynn
This is the reason they invented slide toppers.

Seriously, if you have screws that are not properly seated, start there. Don't over tighten them, but tighten them. Then check to see if that is the problem by running water over the side of the rig.

While your securing the screws inspect the bulb seal for any tears or defects. The smallest flaw in the seal can cause significant leakage.

Good luck in solving the problem.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

British Columbia
Second look at your photos, where is that split in the seal?

If that is running across the top of the slide, it will never make a proper water tight seal.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies everyone.....I'm in contact with Dutchmen right now to see how they can assist in repairs or making a determination on the origin of the leak.

I wish I could afford the slide toppers, but being recently divorced and a single father money isn't the greatest now with the economy.

I really don't think I can reach the screws that are seen in the pics to try and tighten them up. Not sure if the only way to actually reach them all would be to remove slide.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Hddecker, the white bulb seal and the screws are all on the inside of the camper....I had to wedge my arm and phone into the space above the slide was it was in closed position to get the pics and to set some towels in there to catch the water.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynrd View Post
Hddecker, the white bulb seal and the screws are all on the inside of the camper....I had to wedge my arm and phone into the space above the slide was it was in closed position to get the pics and to set some towels in there to catch the water.
Skynrd, take a look at the trim around the slide. If it is like mine, the wise person that engineered it decided pin nails to hold it up there.

I got tired of it falling off, so I pulled the whole thing down, pulled the pin nails and put it back up using real finishing nails.

When the trim is off there is just enough room to get your hand in there. If you can work a screw driver upside down and backwards you could tighten the screws.

If the bulb seal needs to be replaced you may be able to do it without removing the slide.

Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Thanks buddy, only got one reply from Dutchmen asking for my VIN.....depends on results there may be a weekend project. I appreciate the information....