Kodiak 242RESL Slideout problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #1

Kansas
Kodiak 242RESL Slideout problems

Hi,
I have a 2014 Kodiak 242RESL in Australia and would like some advice. As I am having issues with my slide out skewing when it is extended. The floor is being damaged by the draw draging on it as is the wall.
I need to know if the slide works on rollers or is it just friction on the carpet?
The plastic strip under the passive side of the slideout has been destroyed and I replaced it with a strip of teflon about the same width but a little thicker but has not made any difference.
When the driven side (active side) gets out about 1/3rd of its travel a noise like the rack and pinion is jumping a tooth which I feel is resulting from the skewing of the room.

Thank you in advance.

Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyroad View Post
Hi,
I have a 2014 Kodiak 242RESL in Australia and would like some advice. As I am having issues with my slide out skewing when it is extended. The floor is being damaged by the draw draging on it as is the wall.
I need to know if the slide works on rollers or is it just friction on the carpet?
The plastic strip under the passive side of the slideout has been destroyed and I replaced it with a strip of teflon about the same width but a little thicker but has not made any difference.
When the driven side (active side) gets out about 1/3rd of its travel a noise like the rack and pinion is jumping a tooth which I feel is resulting from the skewing of the room.

Thank you in advance.

Depends on which slide out you have regardless, it should not drag at all. I have a slide on my RV that has rollers on it but they work on the linoleum.

Here's a link to help.

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/i...hanism-011537/

service manual. You can go to LCI and get service and owner's manuals.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...Out-Manual.pdf

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #3

Kansas
Thank you very much for your reply, My system is a Lippert through chassis electric system. I should have included this information when I posted my problem, sorry!
So, I have tried hard to contact the manufacturer and the dealer (Dutchmen in Indiana and Windish in Colorado) but it is as if they do not want to have anyone talk to them about a problem. I have the Lippert manual but this has not helped.
Before I can go further with repairing the slideout I need to know if my trailer has a roller system or just slides on the carpet. If it is rollers then I suspect the roller on the passive side has dropped out of position causing the room to drag on the floor.
Again, I really apreciate your assistance as it is difficult researching the issue from Australia.
Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Colorado
Kodiak slide out issue

You may have the Schwintek slide out system. It has what looks like gear tracks along the sides of each room. I found after $6500 of repairs that all I may have needed was to lubricate the mechanism. After lubricating one should synchronize (retime) the gears. The link to the lubrication procedure is:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-to...mechanism/]How To Lubricate The Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out System

On YouTube look for "Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out System - Retiming" for info on re-timing.
Good luck.
KLParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

North Carolina
We have the Lippert slide out on our camper. It has started making a screeching sound as it opened and closed. I crawled under there as my wife worked the switch. The sound was coming from where the rails ride one inside of the other. I lubed it up and it quieted down. I use Slide lube in some places and regular oil in others. The point is, I think, to not let those metal pieces get dry and try to grind against each other. The gears and tracks don't seem to be the issue. But, they have to work against what's actually bearing the weight of the slide if it's not maintained with some lubricant. Before our next trip I have some preventative things planed, service the EZ-lube bearings, adjust the brakes, and roll that slide out and lube the underside moving parts as well. Seems like every trip we take includes hours of towing in the rain..
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

Colorado
Schwintek slide out mechanism

It looks like the link to the lubrication video got truncated. It should be: How To Lubricate The Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out System.

I believe the type of lubricant is important as well as where you lubricate. There are rollers under the slides. I haven't had a real issue with those. The issue seems to be in the place where the gears meet the rails. There are small "blocks" that seem to bear most of the weight of the room while it is in motion, these are what need to be carefully lubed.

I have heard that using the wrong lubricant could cause more damage and void any warranty.

Hope this is helpful.

KLParker is offline   Reply With Quote