Intermittent 12v Problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Florida
Intermittent 12v Problem

I am having intermittent problems with my 12v system not working. I have a 2010 Coleman 240. The problem usually occurs after using the tongue jack, but it seems like it has occurred at other times when the trailer just sits in my driveway. Usually after a few hours or a day, the 12v system will come back on. It seems like it usually follow being connected to shore power, but I don't think it is a battery problem as I have tested both the voltage and load capacity on the battery and they are both fine when the problem occurs. All fuses are good and fully inserted. Almost seems like the tongue jack is causing the 12v system to go into a shutdown mode for some period of time and then it comes back to life. I have only had the trailer for a few months and this is the only problem with it.

JDC32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

California
First thing I would check would be your cables at the battery. Are they tight & clean.?
Next I would check the connections at the convertor.
Intermittent wiring problems are always fun to try & track down.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

Florida
Yes all of the cables at the battery are tight. I have also checked all of the visible locations where I could find fuses, frame/ground connections, etc. I have also load tested the battery and it holds up just fine. It almost acts like there is a safety or overload switch somewhere in the system that is shutting down the 12v circuit for a period of time or until some other condition occurs. I thought it may be related to the charging circuit but at least one time the 12v circuit came back up without the trailer being plugged into with the truck or shore power. When the 12v circuit does go out, I don't get any 12v appliance or light to work, even if I am plugged into the truck at the time.
JDC32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

South Carolina
It might be a (not working well) self-resetting circuit breaker in the line. Look for a small, two-terminal module in the 12V line, one wire in, and one wire out. Probably up close to the battery, or even on the battery post. Sometimes on the frame, too. When the lights are not working, you would have voltage on one side, but not the other. When they are working, you would have voltage on both sides. All voltage checks with respect to ground.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

California
I agree with MartyG sounds like a circuit breaker. If the problem seems to happen after using the electric jack my guess is the wiring is too small for that load.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
It might be a (not working well) self-resetting circuit breaker in the line. Look for a small, two-terminal module in the 12V line, one wire in, and one wire out. Probably up close to the battery, or even on the battery post. Sometimes on the frame, too. When the lights are not working, you would have voltage on one side, but not the other. When they are working, you would have voltage on both sides. All voltage checks with respect to ground.
I had my breaker go bad... It didn't trip, but reading voltage at the terminals, I lost a volt on the load side. One volt lost gave me several issues. Replacing it took care of it.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, electrical, power