Interior light bulbs vs LED bulbs - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer

Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #1

Montana
Question Interior light bulbs vs LED bulbs

I've heard that swapping out light bulbs for more energy efficient LED bulbs will conserve battery power while dry camping. I want to compare just one bulb to see if the illumination is sufficient; however, I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE THE EXISTING BULB!! Am I just stupid? What am I overlooking? The generic users manual is useless for interior stuff. I am looking for help.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 AM   #2

Alberta
go to your local rv dealer in the parts dept and ask them for a 24 element led kit , they have adapters with the kit ,open your light by sliding the cover away and pull down. then take out the bulb and compare the ends find the right end and plug it into the led lead install it the same way you took it out and replace the cover when your done, be sure to use the double back tape to fix it to the fixture.they come with instructions as well .good luck

Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

Montana
Thanks for all the advice. Now if I could just figure out HOW to "take out the bulb."
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

New Mexico
I don't know if you are talking about the 'puck' lights but if so I just learned a few things. The glass face will unscrew from the metal body and depending on the setup its a G4 bulb. Do a search, several ideas and pricing varies greatly.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
I've been doing a little research of my own and there's five things you have to consider: 1) Colour tone of the bulb (cool white, warm white, etc.) 2) lumens or output. Where am I going to use this bulb? A bulb in the living room watching television will be different then the one in the bathroom where you're pulling out slivers or shaving 3) what base do you need - bayonet, wedge etc. The forth thing to consider is packaging - you can purchase the same bulb (colour, lumens etc.) in different configurations so each application will be different depending on the housing you're putting it into. The final decision is price. I've decided on the bulbs I want and am now waiting for the price to drop. A warning here is to watch where you purchase your bulbs. You may get a cheaper bulb on the Net but does it get so hot that it melts the plastic housing or worse yet start a fire.
Right now for my DW and myself there's no hurry to purchase the bulbs so we will wait for the conditions to be right before we do the change out. An RV could cost you upwards to $200.00 to make a complete change, so choose wisely.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

British Columbia
Hello Gruggers...how r u doing removing the bulb t???...I have the 921 wedge type bulb that slide in sideways..they are small and fragile are not the easiest to remove as u can't get a good firm grip on the suckers.
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
They say as you get older that the brain is the first thing to go. To the Gruggers I apologize for not mentioning that my Kodiak 242RESL has wedge shaped bulbs and like Cooper's they are sometimes hard to get out. Sorry I missed that in my original post. Would it help removing the whole fixture so you can see and gain a better grasp of the bulb.
You are absolutely 100% correct in the battery life that you will gain by changing to LED. I seem to recall that the battery will last three times longer switching to Led over the regular filament type.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
They say as you get older that the brain is the first thing to go. To the Gruggers I apologize for not mentioning that my Kodiak 242RESL has wedge shaped bulbs and like Cooper's they are sometimes hard to get out. Sorry I missed that in my original post. Would it help removing the whole fixture so you can see and gain a better grasp of the bulb.
You are absolutely 100% correct in the battery life that you will gain by changing to LED. I seem to recall that the battery will last three times longer switching to Led over the regular filament type.
Longer battery life is so very true. I witnessed this the other day when I was checking out the lights on our new rig. I started by turning on the LEDs. With each switch thrown there was zero difference in briteness when I turned o. Just these incandescent (MEDICENE can in bathroom) the LEDs all dimmed down
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

California
L. E. D. Bulbs use about 1/8 to 1/10th the power of incandescents. Pay attention to the kelvin and lumen ratings ( color and brightness). They are amazingly bright and efficient. Pricey, yes. But they are worth the money at least in key fixtures. It saves lotsa grief in my rig because I don't get in trouble anymore for walking behind my wife switching lights off. 10 fixtures on now use the power of 1 old one.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
I've been doing a little research of my own and there's five things you have to consider: 1) Colour tone of the bulb (cool white, warm white, etc.) 2) lumens or output. Where am I going to use this bulb? A bulb in the living room watching television will be different then the one in the bathroom where you're pulling out slivers or shaving 3) what base do you need - bayonet, wedge etc. The forth thing to consider is packaging - you can purchase the same bulb (colour, lumens etc.) in different configurations so each application will be different depending on the housing you're putting it into. The final decision is price. I've decided on the bulbs I want and am now waiting for the price to drop. A warning here is to watch where you purchase your bulbs. You may get a cheaper bulb on the Net but does it get so hot that it melts the plastic housing or worse yet start a fire.
Right now for my DW and myself there's no hurry to purchase the bulbs so we will wait for the conditions to be right before we do the change out. An RV could cost you upwards to $200.00 to make a complete change, so choose wisely.
If you are melting housings with LEDs then you are allowing to much current to pass through the LED, therefore creating the extreme heat. With the proper sized current limiting resistor the LED will operate as it should, no heat output.
Not all LED packages come with built in resistors so you'll need to know if the ones you are purchasing have the resistors included in the package. If not you'll have to add them for proper effiency.

sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denali lights, led, led bulb, removing bulbs