Hybrid Front Bed Door leaks water - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Minnesota
Hybrid Front Bed Door leaks water

I own a 2015 Dutchmen Kodiak Express Hybrid or expandable trailer. We purchased the trailer new with us-seen damage to the front bed door and subsequently got a new Front bed door. Long frustrating story not suited for this forum. Anyways the door still leaks water every once in a while due to the lip of the door stick out past the gutter and the Dealer cannot seem to fix properly. I would like to wash my hands of them. I have packed this up several times and sometimes it's okay and others it sticks out. I always make sure nothing is in the seal area or on the inside pushing the door out. Has or does anyone else have this issue and what is the fix? I getting to the point where I may get rid of this and by a different brand but really love the trailer so I would like to fix!

bhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Tennessee
Pics would be helpful, my old doors used to fit fairly snug to the body well under the little rain gutter. You could also compress the gasket a little with the latches.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #3

Minnesota
I am compressing the door as much as the latch will allow. I will get pictured tonight.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #4

Florida
I had one awhile back, could not stop the ends leaking, I had to replace the boards that had rotted out on the ends. I tried everything and finally got rid of it and bought a regular TT.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Minnesota
Update, I think I fixed the problem, but maybe too early to tell since it has not rained yet. We camped this Father's Day weekend, best way to send Father's Day in my opinion, right next to us was an identical model and size camper just 2 years older. Got to talking to the owners and they have NEVER had water in the front bed door and they live in upper Michigan and the trailer sits out side year round. So with permission I scoped out the front bed door and latches. The laches were solid they swiveled but did not wobble. What does wobble mean ... well there was a gap between my latch where the rivet held the two pieces together allowing the door the ability to flex back out when closed. This has been my theory for some time. So when I got home I when to work with a 3lb mini sledge and a hammer. I smashed the rivets together taking out that gap on both latches. Guess what!! the door closed well inside the gutter and the gasket on top actually engages and the door does not flex back. I have never been able to get a finger width under the gutter not I can. Now I know this need to be temporary as all my years in manufacturing and tinkering with things along with getting advice from my more seasoned friends, older gentlemen, that the Rivet will not stay that way. So I am looking into getting bolts and nylock nuts to make this more permanent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed door June, 19, 2016 pic 1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	3379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed door June, 19, 2016 pic 2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	3380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed door June, 19, 2016 pic 3.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	3381  
Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Illinois
I fix most things with a hammer. 3lb is a good starting point! LOL. Hopefully it solves your problem for now.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote