humidity in travel trailer? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Utah
humidity in travel trailer?

In the spirit of full discolusre, we live in a VERY dry state (Utah). I am also not a meteorologist, so perhaps I don't understand humidity. Despite our dry arid climate, today it is showing at 59% on my weather app. I know that is a far cry from the humidity experienced in the south-eastern area of the country, but it is not zero.

I had a Damp-Rid brand dehumidifier cup in the trailer ALL winter long (November through April). I BELIEVE those special crystals are supposed to somehow convert to water, which is caught in the cup below to keep the trailer living space drier.

NOT A SINGLE DROP OF WATER formed in the 5 months I had it in the trailer. All the crystals are sitting there happy as clams.

Is that normal for dry climates?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Remove the weather app or stop looking at the humidity. Your wife will know when the humidity is up. That is when she can't DO ANYTHING with her hair.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Remove the weather app or stop looking at the humidity. Your wife will know when the humidity is up. That is when she can't DO ANYTHING with her hair.
Haha. Good advice. I just won't be buying a 48-pack of those Damp-Rid canisters anytime soon. To me or for my situation, they are just rocks.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #4

Wyoming
The relative humidity is based on temperature. It goes up and down as the temperature changes. The humidity outside will be different inside so you would need a humidistat inside your RV to accurately monitor this.
Having said that, if your crystals are dry then you do not have any issues around humidity. Up here on Vancouver Island I replace my crystals a couple times over the winter as they are completely dissolved into a mucky wet mess in the bottom tray.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Florida
We found the damp rid bags work best just hang from cabinet we change them out every 4 to five weeks they get half to 3/4 full here in central fla even in our 50 to 70 degree winters
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #6

Florida
I put the damp rid canisters in the fridge to keep the moisture out of there. The RV seems to be OK by itself.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 AM   #7

Utah
Thanks everyone for the input. I guess we just don't have humidity. Our TT came with little plastic pieces that keep the fridge and freezer doors cracked but secure, so I didn't need to add them in there.

I will report back to the group at how many months it takes for my crystals to turn to mush/water.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #8

Illinois
They may never turn to mush but instead into a solid chunk of damp. I kept checking mine, they are the refillable ones, and never saw water, but when I was in it a few weeks ago I noticed it felt damp in there so I checked the buckets and found they were quite heavy, and after taking the lid off found the crystals had absorbed enough moisture to turn into a kitty litter like clump. I also have the large bucket and found it had turned to mush, but again, no water. I refilled the buckets and within 2 days the dampness feeling was gone.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
They may never turn to mush but instead into a solid chunk of damp. I kept checking mine, they are the refillable ones, and never saw water, but when I was in it a few weeks ago I noticed it felt damp in there so I checked the buckets and found they were quite heavy, and after taking the lid off found the crystals had absorbed enough moisture to turn into a kitty litter like clump. I also have the large bucket and found it had turned to mush, but again, no water. I refilled the buckets and within 2 days the dampness feeling was gone.
Thanks acdii. Yeah - my flakes are just as dry and light as the day they were born. Again, I knew I did not live in a "humid" area, but I thought that being closed up and covered over 5-months of a rainy/snowy winter would produce SOME humidity inside the unit. Guess not.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Thanks acdii. Yeah - my flakes are just as dry and light as the day they were born. Again, I knew I did not live in a "humid" area, but I thought that being closed up and covered over 5-months of a rainy/snowy winter would produce SOME humidity inside the unit. Guess not.
I will be glad to box some up and ship it to you.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I will be glad to box some up and ship it to you.

Aaron
That's probably a good idea Aaron, he may has some defective dehumidifier crystals, he will need some humidity to test them out, otherwise he could go for years not knowing if they work.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #12

Alabama
About 3 years ago I bought a dehumidifier that uses a thermo-diode that when powered on causes a cold side that condenses water vapor to water. The one I have covers 2200 cubic feet. About the same size as my Komfort 35 foot fiver. Doesn't use a lot of energy, but runs all the time. Living on the Gulf Coast of Alabama the humidity changes daily. Some days I get a 1/4 cup of water and others about 2 cups. It's collected in a small bucket and easy to empty. It really keeps the musty smells out.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #13

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
About 3 years ago I bought a dehumidifier that uses a thermo-diode that when powered on causes a cold side that condenses water vapor to water. The one I have covers 2200 cubic feet. About the same size as my Komfort 35 foot fiver. Doesn't use a lot of energy, but runs all the time. Living on the Gulf Coast of Alabama the humidity changes daily. Some days I get a 1/4 cup of water and others about 2 cups. It's collected in a small bucket and easy to empty. It really keeps the musty smells out.

I considered doing this with a Dehumidifier I have in my workshop, but then thought, what if I forget to empty it, and thought, nah, stick with the buckets of salt. The one I have holds 4 gallons of water and can pull that out in under a week.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
What brand did you buy? I need to look into getting one. We currently just leave the A/C on 80 degrees, kind of hard on the power bill.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #15

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I considered doing this with a Dehumidifier I have in my workshop, but then thought, what if I forget to empty it, and thought, nah, stick with the buckets of salt. The one I have holds 4 gallons of water and can pull that out in under a week.
It has an auto shutoff switch. Usually takes a week or more to fill in high humidity.
I'm in a mode of operation that I open all cargo doors and a couple of windows when the wind is blowing and humidity low.
Livin the Life
Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #16

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
What brand did you buy? I need to look into getting one. We currently just leave the A/C on 80 degrees, kind of hard on the power bill.

Aaron
It's an Ivation found at Amazon they have 2 or 3 room versions. Mine is the small one. I think I paid $40 for the one I have. Just type in Ivation dehumidifiers and make sure it a thermo-electric model. Mine is 5 years old and works great.
Livin the Life
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #17

Oregon
Relative humidity is the ratio between the current amount of water vapor in the air at a given temperature to the maximum amount of water vapor possible in the air at that temperature. (But relative humidity is not necessarily the exact ratio between the current air temperature and the dewpoint temperature.)

Dewpoint is the temperature at which water vapor in the air condenses into liquid water, such as in the form of dew, fog, or possibly rain (and in the case of things happening in your RV, when your crystals begin to melt). The dewpoint is always lower or equal to the air temperature, hence why dew or fog often occurs during the early morning hours, when the air temperatures are typically lowest and the dewpoint highest.

A relative humidity of 100% indicates the dew point is equal to the current temperature and that the air is maximally saturated with water.

If you live in an area of the country that typically has a high dew point, then the most effective way to control dampness in your RV or TT is to use a dehumidifier. While crystals can’t replace a dehumidifier, in certain circumstance they can be used in place of one for short periods of time. Also, crystals only reduce humidity levels to 60%. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the optimal moisture levels to prevent mold growth are between 30-50%.

A dehumidifier does cost more, at least initially, but will most likely save money over time since a good dehumidifier will last for years while crystal products must be replaced frequently. (A dehumidifier is safer to use in a space with pets or small children, too.)
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Quote:
It's an Ivation found at Amazon they have 2 or 3 room versions. Mine is the small one. I think I paid $40 for the one I have. Just type in Ivation dehumidifiers and make sure it a thermo-electric model. Mine is 5 years old and works great.

Thermo-electric, aka thermo-diode, aka Peltier Junction. The same junction used in travel coolers to keep things cold and when reversing voltage input keeps things warm.
Maybe when not used as a dehumidifier it could be used as a small heat device.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #19

California
Leaks every morning in one area

My trailer ceiling has been leaking every morning. Is it really possible to have THAT much moisture that it leaks through the ceiling panels?

We are in San Francisco Bay area and it has not rained for months, so that tells me the water leak is interior and above my ceiling panels. Also it's only in one area above my bed.

As I rip off the white batten strip between the ceiling panels, one side of it is soft, damp and black inside, the staples are black, while the other side that isn't leaking looks still new. The gap between the panels are also dirty-looking and stained. But the panels are still stiff. I tried to push up to remove them but they wouldn't budge.

I have a 2015 Aspen Trail 2210RBS, does anyone know what is above the "driver" side of the bed? Why is moisture only accumulate there?

I do have a dehumidifier which I use while taking shower every night and leave on timer for 1 hour or 1.5 hours after. I also have not used AC for almost a year. The leak/dripping only seems to happen in the early morning around 7am.

I really hope to find the source and cause of the leak because it's driving me absolutely nuts!
klbytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #20

Oregon
I would guess your dehumidifier is on the drivers side of the ceiling/roof. The condensation from the unit should be piped to the outside, but sounds like it is draining into your roof structure. Try taking your shower in the morning, and/or skip a day to observe what happens at 7 am.

Worse than the drip is your mildew and mold problem.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote