How to stop bounce when trailer set up - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #1

Texas
How to stop bounce when trailer set up

I have a 2011 30 ft Denali with two slides. They are opposite each other in the rear. The trailer has 4 scissors jacks, on the corners, for Stabilizing when set up. There is a considerable bounce when walking around. This is more than our old Layton used to bounce. Any suggestions? I looked at the stabilzers for the rear and sides but you would have to crawl under to set these up. I have also considered adding two scissor jacks to the center to help support the middle. I use wheel chocks but not the wedge style between the wheels. Does anyone use jacks under the slides? One dealer told me NOT to use jacks under the slides as it can cause damage to the slides. Any suggestions will be appreciated to stop this annoyance.

2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

Missouri
Have you tried those X-Chocks?

Some people have had good luck with them. For me, I didn't notice much difference, so I rarely install them.

Also, maybe put a little more load on you scissor jacks. You will never be able to get rid of it all unless you jack it up and put it on blocks.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

California
Don't jack up the slide, that will cause nothing but problems. I never had good luck with scissor jacks. On the last TT I had I replaced them with this style.
Amazon.com: BAL 24830 24" Deluxe Telescopic Stabilizing Jack: Automotive
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Tennessee
I'm all over these as soon as possible.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:03 AM   #5

Texas
Has anyone tried the BAL23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar? I am intrigued by the reviews and ease of use with jack crank.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23216-Lock...bal+stabilizer
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slides View Post
I have a 2011 30 ft Denali with two slides. They are opposite each other in the rear. The trailer has 4 scissors jacks, on the corners, for Stabilizing when set up. There is a considerable bounce when walking around. This is more than our old Layton used to bounce. Any suggestions? I looked at the stabilzers for the rear and sides but you would have to crawl under to set these up. I have also considered adding two scissor jacks to the center to help support the middle. I use wheel chocks but not the wedge style between the wheels. Does anyone use jacks under the slides? One dealer told me NOT to use jacks under the slides as it can cause damage to the slides. Any suggestions will be appreciated to stop this annoyance.
We have the same TT as Eric NSTL. We have electric stabilizing legs that come down in the front and rear. What we noticed is, if we use blocking under the stabilizers so that they don't need to extend any more than maybe 18", then he rocking of the rig is greatly reduced, from just a little to none at all. So now, when we set up, I use enough blocks under each stabilizer pad so that the stabilizers do not extend anymore than a max. of 16". That's been our experience so hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Don't jack up the slide, that will cause nothing but problems. I never had good luck with scissor jacks. On the last TT I had I replaced them with this style.
Amazon.com: BAL 24830 24" Deluxe Telescopic Stabilizing Jack: Automotive
Had those on my old Airstream, I didn't know what bounce was until I got the Dutchmen.

Seen all them crossbraces of one sort or another, they might do the job but I'm getting to old to be crawling around under the camper to hook/tighten them up.

My next trip south I'm going back to the Ball telescopic stabilizers.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 AM   #8

Arizona
As long as the tires are on the ground and the leaf springs are under any load, you'll feel movement while walking or so it seems to me. My Voltage has the 6 jack levelers and I added two scissor jacks to the rear-most corners and we still feel movement. When we have family staying in the garage/bedroom we can feel them moving around back there while we're in bed up front. Seems if you can get the tires completely off the ground then the feeling of movement should stop.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
As long as the tires are on the ground and the leaf springs are under any load, you'll feel movement while walking or so it seems to me. My Voltage has the 6 jack levelers and I added two scissor jacks to the rear-most corners and we still feel movement. When we have family staying in the garage/bedroom we can feel them moving around back there while we're in bed up front. Seems if you can get the tires completely off the ground then the feeling of movement should stop.
Tires on the ground and loaded springs certainly add to the problem, but scissor jacks are the biggest part of that equation.

When I had the camper up on jack stands with the axles out of the rig, there was still some movement when walking around.

You are trying to stabilize your camper on 4 "wobbly legs" that have no stabilizing properties. This is the very reason that there are so many add ons in one form or another.

The system that DesertRat shows works much better, because you have the telescoping legs working with together to stabilize across the camper. That along with well chocked wheels gets rid of 99% Of the bounce.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote