Hitch and trailer hookup help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Newfoundland
Hitch and trailer hookup help

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what the height should should be on the ball/hitch and the trailer hookup, Should they both be the same height ?
I hooked her up last night and brought her home but with everything done and torsion bars hooked up she was sagging over 2 1/2 inches in the rear and bounced alot on the ride home to my driveway. (First time Rv'er)
I know it wasn't sat up right and I looked at a bunch of youtube videos explaining the torsion bars should be level.....which they were not.
I'd like to get the ball height right first, then I can work with the rest of it.
[IMG][/IMG]

newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

Newfoundland
The travel trailer is level in this photo, I'm assuming the ball should be up level with the receiver. *My driveway is a very slight downhill grade.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

California
If you say the travel trailer is level than you need to get your ball at the same height. The way you need to do that is take the ball mount off the receiver. Turn the receiver over & remount the ball. You also want the ball mounted so it tilts back toward the trailer.
So if your trailer is level & the tongue height where the ball fits is say 19" off the ground, the ball on the truck needs to be at that height also when not connect. The truck needs to be on level ground also when doing this first set-up.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

Newfoundland
Ok so I have the ball and tongue at the same height. But the back of the truck is still dropping by 2 and half inches.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

New York
Might help if we knew what truck and trailer you have - the trailer may be too heavy for your tow vehicle, making your truck squat.
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

California
What chain loop are you using? When connecting up you need to raise the trailer quite a bit higher than level. I would start at the 3rd or 4th link & than drop the trailer & see where it sits. Once you find the correct link to connect up to paint it so you will know the next time. It does take a little trial & error to get it set right.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #7

Arizona
Here is a photo of my set up. Photo was taken when the dealer installed the weight distribution hitch. Hope this helps. I use the 2nd link on the equalizer bars. I tried the 3rd but didn't like the way it rode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2292  

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Colorado
DesertRat has a very good point on working through getting the torsion bar chains linked at the right link to level the trailer/truck when hooked up and ready to go.

I'd find a nice, big, level parking lot. Then hook up, drive around the lot and see where you are a the end of the loop. Then move the chains up a link and do the same loop...and repeat until you find the right link...then mark it, right it down so you'll remember for the next time.

I'd also think about getting Firestone air bags to help support the back of the truck. I pressure them up to 35 psi to tow my equipment trailer, 55 was for the bumper pull toyhauler and use 70 for the Voltage 3800. Help a whole lot!

Just some thoughts.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

Newfoundland
Sorry, I have a 2014 Ford FX4 and a 2011 Aspen Trail 2810BH. I just returned from a level parking lot and trying a bunch of things.
The trailer now sits almost perfectly level when hooked up.
There's myabe 1/2" in difference from front to back.
The truck drops just 2" in the rear.
However, the truck is perfectly level measuring both the front and rear wells.
*Ford trucks seem to sit higher in the rear.
This is how it looks now....just the torsion bars are a little high, I can't get them level without keeping the trailer level.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Newfoundland
Sorry, I have a 2014 Ford FX4 and a 2011 Aspen Trail 2810BH. I just returned from a level parking lot and trying a bunch of things.
The trail now sits very level when hooked up. There's myabe 1/2" in difference from front to back.
This is how it looks now....just the torsion bars are a little high, I can't get them level without keeping the trailer level.
THe torsion bar system is a Curt 17001 System.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #11

Newfoundland
The trail now sits very level when hooked up. There's myabe 1/2" in difference from front to back.
Hitch system is a Curt 17001
..why does this reply keep getting deleted ?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #12

Newfoundland
What I ended up with.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #13

California
I wouldn't worry about the bars being level. if the truck & trailer are level or very close, you found the right set-up. Looks like your on link 5.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
What chain loop are you using? When connecting up you need to raise the trailer quite a bit higher than level. I would start at the 3rd or 4th link & than drop the trailer & see where it sits. Once you find the correct link to connect up to paint it so you will know the next time. It does take a little trial & error to get it set right.
I use zip ties...

To the OP. Start with the truck and the trailer level, ball needs to be noticeably tipped back, I would guess a good 15°. When everything is hooked up the bars should have slight bend and be level or slightly up on the trailer end. The trailer should ride level and truck should be level or slightly down in the rear.

What is your tongue weight and what sized bars are you using? They should be pretty close to each other with the bars being slightly over the loaded tongue weight.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote