Hitch and Sway Issue. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #21

Michigan
Just returned from a 800 mile trip. the changes made helped quite a bit. Until....winds kicked upto 20mph while on a 2 lane highway. Then it was all over the place, just like before. Im sure the system should work better than it did. 20mph isnt that strong. On the trip home, things went well for a bit. I-75 south has about 100 miles of road that has all those grooves cut into the cement, OMG, the pivoting between the truck and trailer was horrible. Felt like I was driving on ice. Before I take another trip Im going to sell that E2 hitch and try to remove a washer, then raise the bars 1 hole, that is the only adjustment left to try, if that dont work, this hitch system will be sold, and I will buy a different one. Years ago. I pulled a 25' Rockwood Lite with a Ranger, no WD bars, just a Sway Bar, and it was a better driving system. Hard to beleive that this new E2 could be such a pain.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #22

Illinois
It might not be the hitch, but the trailer itself. Axles could be out of alignment, and that will cause all kinds of grief. The statement about grooved pavement makes me believe this to be the case. Properly aligned, grooved in the road shouldn't affect it. If one axle is out of alignment, then both axles will fight each other.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

Texas
Sorry to hear that. Couldn't have been enjoyable and this is supposed to be fun!
Even the journey part is part of the enjoyment.

There's an explanation. Like acdii says, could be something NO hitch can fix. Instead, it is something else that needs to be addressed.

Good luck.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #24

Utah
When we went from of ford suv to my ram 1 ton I had to change the height of the hitch adjustment. I read for 2 weeks and learned a lot. The mfg has good info on measuring front wheel truck hight before and after loading and the acceptable measurements.
A simple washer shim in the hit changes issues. I know if fixed my sway.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #25

Illinois
Well after 3171 miles, I can say my cheap little Husky WDH with single sway bar did very well. Encountered 60+ MPH cross winds in Colorado during a nasty storm that dented the crap out of the front of my trailer, and cracked my windshield from hail.

I do get push pull when a semi passes me, but that is wholly expected, the push of air from the front of the truck will push against the side of the trailer at the rear which will push the front of my truck in the opposite direction, but it is so minor that I don't mind it, and got used to it within a few hours of driving, and anticipated it when I saw a truck coming up on me.

Cross winds, there were a LOT of it through Utah, Colorado and especially Nebraska. It pushed me, but nothing that concerned me. If I didn't have the sway bar, it would have been a different story. A single bar is all I need on my setup, the truck has a 145" WB, and the single bar is stiff enough that adding a second one would have zero effect other than doubling the noise when turning.

Adding the Bilsteins to the rear solved the weird sashaying I felt the first time I pulled it loaded, so those OEM shocks were worn out.

One thing I did find out, if I dont completely fill the FWT and have the two waste tanks half full, I get more trailer movement than if I have an empty grey and 1/3rd black and full FW. Just a difference of 150# can really be felt.

Other than swapping out shorter gears in the truck, the rig is a pretty good setup. Other than overheating climbing the Rockies because of my tune, that EB just pulls like mad, but gets hot quickly when tuned, it was a comfortable drive, and not once did I have an issue where I wish I had a bigger truck. When I first brought the trailer home, I was very worried, it pushed the truck all over the place, but a few hours of work setting up the hitch correctly worked a miracle.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote