Help get the stank out - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 AM   #1

New Mexico
Help get the stank out

Hello all so I had a power outage and poped my GFCI on my trailer didn't know about it for about a week well had some meat in the freezer that we we had forgotten about last time we went to the lake well getting ready for a trip once again and went inside the trailer and wow what a stench about 2 maybe 3 pounds of hamburger meat I cleaned the freezer out 3 times with bleach and put bakeing power a whole box on over the bottom of the freezer still pretty funky anyone have a trick to get the smell out

Joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe h View Post
Hello all so I had a power outage and poped my GFCI on my trailer didn't know about it for about a week well had some meat in the freezer that we we had forgotten about last time we went to the lake well getting ready for a trip once again and went inside the trailer and wow what a stench about 2 maybe 3 pounds of hamburger meat I cleaned the freezer out 3 times with bleach and put bakeing power a whole box on over the bottom of the freezer still pretty funky anyone have a trick to get the smell out
There's another thread here somewhere about someone that did the same thing... Not sure if they ever got the smell out since last we heard, they were considering replacing the fridge!

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tion-6895.html

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe h View Post

When I got my first dog many years ago a 100 lb GSD, I found some stuff that worked wonders.

Unfortunately I don't recall the name. Literally 2 drops erased the scent of that dog having errrr lets call it stomach issues.

Anyway, try a good pet store. They may have something.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Good luck. About the same happened to us. We tried it all and more. I ended up with a fan in the open freezer for a month before it subsided. Of course, the door to the RV open to exchange the air.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

Florida
I use a package of DampRid on my fridge when I store the RV. It has activated charcoal in it and it's sold in the RV section of Walmart. it's a much larger package than what you find in the regular aisles. You may also want to try this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Activate...93699099&psc=1

It's a shot in the dark but (lesson learned). I think the issue is that the stench gets into everything in the freezer, including the insulation. You can't wash that out.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
When I got my first dog many years ago a 100 lb GSD, I found some stuff that worked wonders.

Unfortunately I don't recall the name. Literally 2 drops erased the scent of that dog having errrr lets call it stomach issues.

Anyway, try a good pet store. They may have something.

Here is something similar (maybe) from amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1170_351497970

Good luck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 PM   #7

Illinois
Have you tried ODO-Ban? It tends to work getting rid of the stank. Made with Eucalyptus oil.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Oklahoma
So far bleach with lots of Arm and Hammer and I've left my kitchen and fridge open for the last couple of months. I was at the trailer 2 weeks ago, and still had a scent of death in the kitchen area. Not horrible, but there. I think it's time for a new fridge. We shall see what the wife says next time we go out.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

Florida
thanks for the update... sorry to hear it though.