Good News, Bad News, and an A/C Question for you all :) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Ohio
Good News, Bad News, and an A/C Question for you all :)

So we picked up our Camper on Thursday Night (YEAH!!) Friday night we 'dry' camped in the driveway..

now let me just mention that I did have the camper inspected before we got it, and there were a couple of things that needed addressed, and they were by the dealer. one has part on order (a $12 part for the awning -no big deal) some things needed resealed, and after the inspector finished and i was meeting with the sales guy to review my notes, I noticed that there was water draining from the bathroom into the bunk house - a little stream..

I panicked, so did the sales guy. He went and got the service manager. I noticed the water seemed to be coming from the sink cabinet, the bottom right corner, and was pooling around the toilet base and in the corner which led it to seep into the bunkhouse.

I pointed this out, but, I don't feel like they were really listening to me (sometimes it sucks being a female, sometimes you are dismissed as not knowing as much as the guys). Even though I insisted that was where it looked to be coming from, they couldn't find evidence of a leak from the sink, they flushed the toilet a few times and thought they saw water coming from the seal. So, I left it to them and they agreed to replace the toilet seal before we picked it up.

When we tested it before signing, I flushed the toilet a few times, and didn't see water, so I assumed all was good.

we signed, and took our camper home. Fast forward to Friday night. Getting ready to dry camp, and pulling in stuff from the house. I look over to the bunkhouse, and my heart sinks. That same stream of water that I saw at the dealer, was coming from the bathroom again.

This time, I grabbed a screw driver (with hub's help, we had to find the right bit) and I took of the wood panel that blocked the pex tubes, and sure enough the tubes were wet. Kicking myself for not being more insistent about my initial suspicions, I talked to hubs about it, and we were trying to determine if we could repair the tubing - when he ran his hand up to the sink and found that the water was actually coming from both the hot and cold connections to the sink. he hand tightened somewhat, but I finished because my fingers were smaller. after we did that, no more water. came to the conclusion it was when the water pump was on, that the water pressure was forcing the leak to come out. it had nothing to do with running water, but would leak when pressurized from the connection. I was so tickled that we fixed it - and quickly too! Thankfully it was an EASY fix...

That said, while at the dealer signing papers, we managed to get the good sam 4 year warranty for like 1800 - and saved .50 % on interest because we hit a specific loan bracket, so that the whole thing cost us about 9 bucks per month for the 4 year warranty. I wasn't going to get it, but since it through us into a lower interest bracket, and we ended up getting it rather cheaply after the interest rate adjustment, we opted for it. A used unit, with little to no warranty left on it, was slightly concerning..

That leads me to my question, though about the A/C. we have a 13.5 A/C on our 2014 Dutchmen 315BHDS. I have doubts about it being powerful enough to handle the 34' Trailer anyhow, but we are planning to camp in 90-95 Degree weather with 7 people. So body heat, and exterior temps considered, is that 13.5 going to cut it? haven't been able to really test it but not sure we won't be roasting with the 7 people in there, and if the A/C can really cut it. I wish it had a 15k, but no luck. Might be a future upgrade.. thoughts?

OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

Missouri
Your A/C will most likely struggle during a hot sunny day. However in the evenings, or in the shade, I would bet your going to be just fine. Remember, your camping and you will be out most of the days anyway. Boy you are going to load it up with seven people!

As for your repair, good job! and welcome to the RV world. You find, that there is a good chance you'll be able to make most of the minor repairs, and you have the warrantee for the major stuff.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

Missouri
Oh yea, now that your a RV owner, put the model in your signature block so every one knows what you have.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Tennessee
I would go around and re-tighten all the water lines and drain lines in the bathroom and kitchen. All of our kitchen drains were loose. We also stacked too many pots under the kitchen sink and knocked a drain line loose while traveling. All pots and pans now go under the dinette seats.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
That 13.5 is on the small side... park in the shade. It should be able to keep it cooled down at night unless you plan to camp in Phoenix in the summertime. Then I don't think 2 or 3 of them would even be enough.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That 13.5 is on the small side... park in the shade. It should be able to keep it cooled down at night unless you plan to camp in Phoenix in the summertime. Then I don't think 2 or 3 of them would even be enough.

Aaron
ugh. I know. I hate to say it but we might be looking to upgrade for next summer. I don't want to jump the gun on it but I wanted a 15k, but this didn't have it. It didn't seem enough to walk away from the unit over but it was a rough point for sure. upgrading it I know won't be cheap but maybe we can sell it as a working used unit if someone needs one. Guess we are just stuck. It's so frustrating, all the sales people kept saying it would be plenty but everything I read was that it was questionable (depending on the luck of the draw, some do ok, while others just can't cut it). 15 k would have been first choice so no worries, but it is what it is.
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
ugh. I know. I hate to say it but we might be looking to upgrade for next summer. I don't want to jump the gun on it but I wanted a 15k, but this didn't have it. It didn't seem enough to walk away from the unit over but it was a rough point for sure. upgrading it I know won't be cheap but maybe we can sell it as a working used unit if someone needs one. Guess we are just stuck. It's so frustrating, all the sales people kept saying it would be plenty but everything I read was that it was questionable (depending on the luck of the draw, some do ok, while others just can't cut it). 15 k would have been first choice so no worries, but it is what it is.
Don't even worry about it, take what you have out and it may not even be a problem. Who knows!...

You can always try stuff like this...
Amazon.com: Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulator with Reflective Surface: Automotive
Before you start replacing the A/C. for about 12 bucks, might be worth a try.
Also if you have a vent in the bedroom, there is always a possibility that you could add another 13.5K there.
But remember, you most likely will be ok, especially in the evening.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 08-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #8

South Carolina
There is good news about a 13.5 If you find yourself in a campground with only 20 amp outlets, like the ones at home (don't be surprised, we have one near here), the 13.5 will run ok. Use a 30 to 20 amp plug adapter, and switch the water heater, fridge to propane, and don't use the microwave. But you'll be cool. Congrats, too, on the plumbing fix!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #9

Ohio
We tried to run it on low and it still popped the breaker. The water heater is propane only.. The Fridge was on auto so electric.. Should it work with home electric?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
We tried to run it on low and it still popped the breaker. The water heater is propane only.. The Fridge was on auto so electric.. Should it work with home electric?
First, switch Fridge to "gas." In electric mode, it uses a lot of energy. Second, check the outlet you plugged it into. Check the circuit breaker feeding it. Homes have two sizes, 15 amp (older homes and some light circuits) and 20 amp. The 20 amp are characterized by the sideways T slot on the left. Notice your kitchen probably has 20 amp, the bedrooms 15 amp. You'll want to be on a 20 amp circuit, with nothing else "live" on it, such as a refrigerator, or anything with a heater or a motor. Check also that your extension cord is as short as can be, and is of a heavy gauge. Don't use that light-duty, 100ft cord that you use for hedge clippers. Good luck!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I would go around and re-tighten all the water lines and drain lines in the bathroom and kitchen. All of our kitchen drains were loose. We also stacked too many pots under the kitchen sink and knocked a drain line loose while traveling. All pots and pans now go under the dinette seats.
Adding the line tightening to my growing list of to-do's we have drawers on the side of the sink we will use for the pots and pans(most of them)..
Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #12

Georgia
We bought a 2014 300BHS with a single 15k unit in the spring of 2014.. It struggled last summer keeping up - even in the shade. Before our 2 week trip to the Grand Canyon this summer, I went and got a 2nd unit installed. (Based on the advice from the good folks here). SO glad I did! It did great keeping things cool and comfortable. Hate to say, but given the conditions you outlined, it's probably going to be tough keeping it comfortable in there with what you have...

Good luck and enjoy it!
Lofcaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Quote:
I would suggest checking the air conditioner in warm temps. I'm going to guess you might be OK with a 13,500 unit. I have a 2014 Dutchmen 245RKS with a 13,500 and it works quite good. Will try to point out some factors on AC & electricity. First running the AC on low or high is only changing the fan speed, not the compressor amp draw. The 13,500 unit is probably drawing about 13 to 15 amps, and not knowing what size fridge you have, but it will draw about 3 to 5 amps. You did not say what breaker tripped, the trailer or your house, but if you were plugged into your house outlet on a 15 amp circuit, you are over drawing the capacity, hence tripping the breaker. Even if your house breaker is a 20 AMP you are close to capacity, also your house circuit could have other items plugged in that circuit, as house multiple outlets will be connected to the same circuit. As far as the Air unit, it will only have a cooling capacity of approximately 20 degrees cooler then the ambient air. If the outside temp is 95, the unit will cool down to about 75. But if it is that hot outside at 75 you will still think your in a refrigerator. Hope this helps out. Best if running fridge and AC at same time, use a 30 AMP circuit. Good luck.
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #14

Nevada
OhioRVmom, If you can, get one or two Fans to move the air around, it will help, I used them in my old trailer, before I went to the 5th Wheel.....I had a 30ft trailer before and like someone above added, that long and with that many people, plan on adding another A/C next year, the cost to add would be about the same, as adding the bigger A/C if you have a vent there already.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 AM   #15

British Columbia
My two cents worth.

Dawn to dusk outside.

Half hour before dusk go turn on A/C, (or if your going to be in and out all day leave to A/C on all day) open all windows on the shaded side of the coach and turn on all roof fans. Cool air is being drawn in from the shady side, air is being chilled by the A/C and all the hot stale air is being exhausted.

When it's time to head in, turn off all roof vents, close all the windows and only turn on the lights that you need. Your brain tells you it's cooler when it's not so bright.

If it gets a little warm turn on one of your roof fans, it will suck the hot air off the ceiling and out. We have a Fantastic Vent with a T-stat so it's an automatic thing. I mounted the T-stat up higher on the wall, so it cycles quicker.

Finally to echo Wis-Redneck, A 20* difference between outside and inside temps makes it feel like your in a fridge. My better half might last 10 mins before the sweater goes on.

That's how we have done it for as long as we have been camping in a TT and found a 13.5 A/C works for us, even Buffallo WY at 103*.

Of course the CAVEATS there's just two people and three dogs and we don't do alot of moving around when we're inside, either TV or games (GAMES! what are those Pa) at the table.

The only place we had any problems was the east coast with the humidity. Being dry landers, humidity is killer. In humid climates we leave the Fantastic on Low-Manual and keep the condensation mopped up and dumped outside of the rig. At least we can sleep at night.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote