Equalizer or Anderson - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Missouri
Equalizer or Anderson

Greetings all, I just became a proud owner of a new Denali 289RK, (Well almost, it will arrive Mid March as we didn't want the model from the RV show that had thousands of people messing with everything.)

I am trying to figure out what hitch to get, and it seems that I have it narrowed down to a Equalizer or and Anderson.

I am just looking for input on which way to go.

I am leaning on the Anderson, but I was a little concerned that a dry weight of 7350 and total length of 33.66' might be asking a little too much. Has anyone used the Anderson on a trailer this size or larger?

I have a Nissan Titan PRO4X with the long bed. It is rated to tow 9000LBS. I know I am pushing it, but everything is within the weight tolerances. (The trucks is paid for and I refuse to get a new one since I only have 60K miles on it.)

This is our first camper, we use to tent camp, then had to go camping with family members with big fifth wheels... DARN THEM!!! We took the advice of many and bought the one that was perfect for our needs and didn't start small.

EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
Hitches

Greetings EricNSTL. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation here. Both hitches have pros and cons and saying one is better than the other is like saying one vehicle is better than another, you'll get both here. I have the Andersen and two things I noticed were less noise and less bucking action after driving over a dip in the road. Others I have driven with have noticed the same thing. The Andersen also does an excellent job of stopping trailer sway. If you get the Andersen spot weld it only after you have tested it on your rig.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #3

British Columbia
Hi, Eric...

Welcome to the forum.

Trailer hitches are a very subjective item. Everyone feels that what they have is the "BEST".

It all boils down to what you want, load equalization, sway control. Which is more important to you. Do your research, make your decision and be happy with your choice.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

British Columbia
Hi Eric Welcome to the forum, I came from a equalizer hitch to a propride p3
and haven't regretted it .The equalizer wasn't bad but very noisy, the propride is silent. Most times most hitches will work well , I was very glad we had the propride when we towed from Bend Oregon to Lincoln Rock State Park in one day and there was 40 to 50 mph winds almost the whole way with no sway. They are a little pricey though.
2011 3500 Dodge Cummins Propride P3
petesherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

Indiana
Yep I have used them both on our 311 bhs. We bought new last winter and installed the andersen right out of the box. Two trips with the andersen and I never got comfortable with it ( i think the trailer is just too heavy for it). We put it back in the box and it is still sitting on the shelf in the garage. We had a new Equalizer installed and the first trip was awesome and we have never looked back.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #6

Missouri
Thank you everyone for your quick replies.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove View Post
Yep I have used them both on our 311 bhs. We bought new last winter and installed the andersen right out of the box. Two trips with the andersen and I never got comfortable with it ( i think the trailer is just too heavy for it). We put it back in the box and it is still sitting on the shelf in the garage. We had a new Equalizer installed and the first trip was awesome and we have never looked back.
Thanks Mike, This is the kind of information that I was looking for. I think the Andersen looks good, but it seems from most that I have read, once you start getting over 500 LBS on the tongue weight, it might not be as effective. I appreciate your real world experience.

I have sent Andersen a email but have not got a reply as of yet. (Its only been a day, so I am not slamming them.)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesherry View Post
I came from a equalizer hitch to a propride p3
and haven't regretted it.
I wish that was in my budget! I have to epuip the trailer and pay the taxes... Maybe next year if I am not happy with what I end up with.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Greetings EricNSTL. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation here. Both hitches have pros and cons and saying one is better than the other is like saying one vehicle is better than another, you'll get both here. I have the Andersen and two things I noticed were less noise and less bucking action after driving over a dip in the road. Others I have driven with have noticed the same thing. The Andersen also does an excellent job of stopping trailer sway. If you get the Andersen spot weld it only after you have tested it on your rig.
How much does your trailer weigh and how long is it?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:40 AM   #10

Nevada
I finally got my 287RE back from the dealer (purchased in November) and went on a shakedown last weekend. I have an Andersen and really like the way it pulls (quiet and anti-bounce). I was towing a 8200 lb loaded 30 ft Pilgrim with it. I have been in 35-40 mph crosswinds with semi's passing on I40 near Grand Canyon. While I was very vigilant and cautious it performed well in the wind and when large vehicles overtook us. I have traveled only about 75 miles with the the Denali 287RE so far and only been passed by about 10 semis in low or no wind conditions with no sway results. The scale says only 200 lbs of the 480 removed from the steer axle (41%) is returned to the steer axle by the weight distribution hitch. However the steering does not seem light and control does not seem affected. The front wheel well measurements on my 2005 Suburban (8.1, 2500, 4wd) are within the Andersen instruction manual (3/4" higher and rear 2" lower.) The Chevy manual says to return the front wheel well to pre- hitch load conditions. I am close and so far satsified with the performance. The tongue weight is 1180 lbs. I plan to go farther soon and hopefully with a little wind. The statistics were similar for the previous trailer and I was very happy with our longest trip last October before trading for the Denali. I hope you enjoy your new 287RE. I have had some small issues to start out with but am happy with my dealer's response considering they were on vacation all of December.
renojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #11

Idaho
I pull a 287RE with a Ram 3500 and the Andersen returns the front wheel to the same height as stock. Have not put it on scales but I am guessing that the trailer is now pushing 10K lbs. with all our crap in it. Tow behavior is nice.
elousv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by renojack View Post
. I hope you enjoy your new 287RE.
I will not be able to enjoy my 287RE, but I will enjoy my 289RK.. The 287RE was just to much for my truck.. I have it at the limit with the weight of the 289RK.

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

Utah
When I bought my Denali 289RK I had traded in a 5th wheel so needed a hitch for the Denali. I bought a Equalizer Hitch from Camping world with the anti sway kit. Mounted it myself and drove home about 20 miles. When I got home I set the hitch up like it is supposed to be. Made a couple of trips and have had no problems. I only drive 55 to 65 MPH on the freeway.
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #14

Missouri
I ended up with the equalizer hitch. I pick up my trailer next weekend so I will post my impressions after a few uses. Thanks for everyone's input.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #15

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
I ended up with the equalizer hitch. I pick up my trailer next weekend so I will post my impressions after a few uses. Thanks for everyone's input.
Take the time to set it up the right way. I think you will be pleased and will not have any problems if you load the trailer correctly and follow good towing practice. I find in many cases the following items are the reason for people having towing problems.

1. Improper weight distribution.

2. tow vehicle is to small for the trailer they are towing.

3. improper tire inflation.

4. Hitch is not setup correctly.

5. driving to fast

When I picked up my trailer I put the WD hitch in the receiver, never hooked up the bars or sway control and drove the 20 freeway miles home at 55 semis passing me and no problems. a lot has to do with the tow vehicle. my F250 Super duty weighs 7,040 Lbs. I can't see paying $1,000 or more for a hitch when a $399 hitch will do as well if set up correctly.
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #16

I have the Anderson on my 287 also. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ram 3500 SRW. I have a bad crosswind area a few miles from home and twice I have been a little nervous in the area. Once on the way home and once headed out on vacation. Both times the sway eventually came under control but it took time and I am concerned that a steady cross wind area may not allow the sway to stop. As for semi's and all other towing with the 287, not a complaint. As for Anderson customer service, forget it! I contacted Anderson after the first scare and basically received a promotional email in response about how the Anderson didn't allow sway. I then asked about stronger bushings since the 287 is heavy and long. The next reply was that only one bushing model was made by Anderson and worked on all trailer weights and lengths. My next statement to them is that I was experiencing sway and needed a solution. From there I could not get a reply back and gave up. I still use my Anderson but I know to be very careful and slow if the highway signs say strong crosswind or if I know an area has a strong crosswind. I would not recommend Anderson based on their inability to acknowledge any possibility of anyone having a problem with their product. Hopefully someday I will save enough pennies to try a Hensley or Pro Pride.
DamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #17

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamMan View Post
I have the Anderson on my 287 also. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ram 3500 SRW. I have a bad crosswind area a few miles from home and twice I have been a little nervous in the area. Once on the way home and once headed out on vacation. Both times the sway eventually came under control but it took time and I am concerned that a steady cross wind area may not allow the sway to stop. As for semi's and all other towing with the 287, not a complaint. As for Anderson customer service, forget it! I contacted Anderson after the first scare and basically received a promotional email in response about how the Anderson didn't allow sway. I then asked about stronger bushings since the 287 is heavy and long. The next reply was that only one bushing model was made by Anderson and worked on all trailer weights and lengths. My next statement to them is that I was experiencing sway and needed a solution. From there I could not get a reply back and gave up. I still use my Anderson but I know to be very careful and slow if the highway signs say strong crosswind or if I know an area has a strong crosswind. I would not recommend Anderson based on their inability to acknowledge any possibility of anyone having a problem with their product. Hopefully someday I will save enough pennies to try a Hensley or Pro Pride.
I sorry to hear about you towing pains... I was worried about the Anderson not being up to this size of our trailers. That why I decided to get the Equalizer hitch. My only complaint of the equalizer is the noise it makes when turning. The campsite definitely knows when you arrive. However, I have no sway issues at all. So if the Hensley is out of you price range, which it was for me, the equalizer does do a very good job.

From what I gathered in my research, the Anderson preforms well until the trailers weights start getting over 5000 Lbs, and based on what you just wrote, it seems to be correct.

Be safe towing!!!

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #18

Florida
I have used the equalizer and am now using the Anderson hitch on my 24rb dutchman.. In my opinion the equalizer was more stable and felt more comfortable towing. The Anderson is not bad but it just doesn't have the stable feeling of the equalizer...I love that the Anderson has no need for grease and is super quiet...I am still using the anderson but if I had it to do over again I would have stayed with the equalizer for performance.

Anderson Hitch
Coneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote