Electrical - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #1

Florida
Electrical

Hey Guys, I just got a 2012 Dutchmen Kodiak. Everything is working great but I decided to get two 2000W generators and hook them in parallel so I am ready when I don't have shore power. However when I power it up and run the AC it overloads them. I have narrowed it down to the breaker labeled general purpose, if I leave that off everything works perfect, AC and all. But when I switch that breaker on it trips my generator breakers. I am thinking it is powering my converter because there is only one outlet on the TV/radio area that I can confirm is on that circuit. So I am going to test the converter next but I was just reaching out to see if any of you have any ideas/suggestions. Thanks in advance

Campitout29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #2

Kentucky
Welcome. I am sure someone will chime in about your issue. Some very knowledgeable folks on here.

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome!

It does sound like the converter is pulling a lot of current. Which model of converter do you have? Also what condition are your battery(ies) in? Have you charged them completely using an independent charger and had them load tested?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #4

Nevada
Remove all the loads on that breaker that is tripping. One at a time replace each load when it trips again that most likely where your problem is.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:29 AM   #5

Colorado
Does that general circuit work normally when connected to shore power?
I wouldn't think your converter would ever draw more power then your AC unit, unless it was shorted.
Are you sure your gens are in Parallel and not series? just askin : )
If the system works ok on shore power it can only be a couple of things
Your gens can't (or aren't) putting out enough power to power that circuit. test the output.
The start up load on the ac may be too much draw. Turn the AC off and see if works.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #6

Florida
Thank you all for the replies, I am going to dig into it more this weekend but when connected to shore power it is fine, everything works I do have the parallel kit for the gens but I will test that as well. The gens run the AC just fine until I flip that one breaker on in the panel. More to come, thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Alabama
Another culprit for amp draw on the general circuit would be your refridgerator, which should be plugged into an outlet located behind the exterior (of the camper) plastic vent. In both the campers I've owned the converter had it's own A/C circuit, as did the microwave and the Air Conditioner unit(s). Everything else was plugged into a sometimes hidden outlet, and on the general 15 amp circuit.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #8

Montana
My camper came originally wired with the converter piggy-backed to the "GEN" breaker. If your batteries are low on charge, then your converter may be trying to work hard to charge the batteries and overloading the generators.

GEN covers all the non-GFCI outlets in my camper, so is there anything else plugged in that would be drawing power?

Another poster mentioned your fridge on auto which would draw about 300 watts.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks again guys, I did try it with my fridge on gas and still no go. I have unplugged everything in the camper and narrowed it down to one outlet that is on that General circuit and nothing is plugged into it. I am not sure if having a factory converter that is old causes amps/watts to spike. The camper has worked on a 6500 W generator. I find it hard to believe I cannot operate on the 4000. Again thanks all and I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 AM   #10

Nevada
Do you have an electric meter (digital multimeter) now with the breaker in open position (off) I would test continuity from load side of the breaker and ground, If you have continuity you have a short on that circuit. Do the same load side of breaker to neutral. Then Neutral to ground.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campitout29 View Post
Thanks again guys, I did try it with my fridge on gas and still no go. I have unplugged everything in the camper and narrowed it down to one outlet that is on that General circuit and nothing is plugged into it. I am not sure if having a factory converter that is old causes amps/watts to spike. The camper has worked on a 6500 W generator. I find it hard to believe I cannot operate on the 4000. Again thanks all and I will let you know how it turns out.
Since you have narrowed it down to one outlet, it is time to pull that outlet and have a close look at it. Just because there isn't anything plugged into it does not mean that there isn't another branch circuit feeding off of the back of it. Sometimes things such as fans, lights, or even heavy appliances are hard wired into the back of outlets. Since it works on higher wattage generator, something is causing a voltage drop, resulting in higher current drop. As you look at the back of outlet, also check to make sure it is wired with the correct polarity.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote