E-Z Lube Axles - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Florida
E-Z Lube Axles

Hello, I am curious to know how many use the Dexter EZ Lube axle zerks to lube your axles? I have used them on a previous TT and had no problems or issues but I have read about some who have had problems. I'm debating whether to use them or take in in to my dealer (I trust them) and have them do it the old fashion way. Comments/Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post
Hello, I am curious to know how many use the Dexter EZ Lube axle zerks to lube your axles? I have used them on a previous TT and had no problems or issues but I have read about some who have had problems. I'm debating whether to use them or take in in to my dealer (I trust them) and have them do it the old fashion way. Comments/Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
I like to see what going on with my brakes and bearings so therefor I clean inspect and repack once a year

Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Illinois
I say use with caution. Way too easy to overgrease the rear bearing which will leak out the seal and damage the brakes. On non braked axles, not that big a deal though.

They should be inspected at least yearly, or every other year just to make sure the grease is good and actually in the bearing and not just in the center of the hub.

Also a caution to the type of grease used. The grease that is usually used in grease guns for joints is not very good for roller bearings, too thin, so make sure the grease used is for wheel bearings. I had used what I thought would be OK, and a year later did a full inspection, found it was too thin and pooled in the hub. The bearings were OK, but had very little grease IN them. Switched to a heavy moly based lube, and haven't had a problem since.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post

I am not sure which ones I have. They are Lippert axles.

I can tell you this. I took mine apart a few weeks ago.

Very little grease from Factory. Probably ok. Except for one.

Using an "easy lube fitting". It would take a huge amount of grease to reach the outside bearing. You have to fill the entire void between bearings in order to reach the outside bearings. The often heard and recommended 4 squirts is not going to cut it.

Take it apart first time at least. Then you are operating with some knowledge.

Your mileage may vary
Have fun
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Georgia
I think it’s important to understand how they actually work. The grease goes thru the center of the spindle and exits behind the inner bearing then pushes it way up thru the outer bearing and out the opening. Packing the bearings as it happens.

I have them on my boat trailer and give a few pumps before a trip and then flush them once a year by adding grease until fresh appears at the front. I usually slowly spin the tire as I’m doing this. A little messy but has worked well for me over 10 years on a boat trailer regularly put in salt water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	969E5874-FC2B-4F9E-A5CA-87077CB754CE.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5502  
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I think itís important to understand how they actually work. The grease goes thru the center of the spindle and exits behind the inner bearing then pushes it way up thru the outer bearing and out the opening. Packing the bearings as it happens.

I have them on my boat trailer and give a few pumps before a trip and then flush them once a year by adding grease until fresh appears at the front. I usually slowly spin the tire as Iím doing this. A little messy but has worked well for me over 10 years on a boat trailer regularly put in salt water.

So how many "squirts" does it take for you to see the new grease??
Approximately??
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
So how many "squirts" does it take for you to see the new grease??
Approximately??
Well, Iím not sure. I use blue marine wheel bearing grease in every trailer I have and itís pretty evident when compared to the old.

So, what I do with my boat trailer, before the first big trip of the year, I flush.

I usually buy 2 cartridges for this. So, I run about half a cartridge thru each hub....tandem axle boat trailer.

I regularly drag it 350 miles one way to Florida with me a few times a year.

I would imagine this may be a little overkill for a travel trailer. Maybe every 2-3 years on a flush....just because a boat trailer is submerged in water all the time.

Also, remember you donít want your ez lube hub slam full of grease. I stick my finger in there and scoop out most of the excess in the cap....Be careful, the flange is sharp....you need expansion room to keep from blowing out your seals.

One other little tip, I carry an IR thermometer gun with me and check hub and tire temps every time I stop for gas or food. Itís a great way to see if youíre fixing to have a problem.

Anyway, thatís my system and....knock on wood....Iíve never had a bearing failure. Hope it helps.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Arizona
I have Lippert axles also and I actually called them to find out what time of grease and they told me it's lithium complex so I like to use the red and tacky
mmgolfmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

Arizona
I have EZ Lube on my 3 axles but I don't use it. I repacked the bearings in 2016 and haven't touched them since. I did the repack properly and see no need to do it again anytime soon.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
RDJ

Washington
Years ago i heard that if you use the EZ Lube and fill the whole cavity of the hub with grease, the heat can not disperse out of the bearing area if its packed full instead of having an air pocket, just my 2 cents worth