Dutchmen 261 BHS problems/solutions thread. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #1

California
Dutchmen 261 BHS problems/solutions thread.

Figured this could be a long running thread with all the various issues/solutions.

My last latest issue is the heater, which was used for the first time this weekend, had a very strong burnt plastic smell and actually set the smoke detector of overnight. The wife was super stoked about that, but the 5 and 7 year olds slept right through it.

Checked inside and outside access panels, didnt see anything that looked out of place. Both floor vents and the exterior vent had the smell, which has lessened some, but still pretty obnoxious.

Any thoughts?

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #2

British Columbia
What other problems have you had. We have a 2014 261bhs that we are taking out for the first time in a couple of weeks.

wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
Figured this could be a long running thread with all the various issues/solutions.

My last latest issue is the heater, which was used for the first time this weekend, had a very strong burnt plastic smell and actually set the smoke detector of overnight. The wife was super stoked about that, but the 5 and 7 year olds slept right through it.

Checked inside and outside access panels, didnt see anything that looked out of place. Both floor vents and the exterior vent had the smell, which has lessened some, but still pretty obnoxious.

Any thoughts?
Did the heater stop working or did you shut it down?

Can you trace the smell as being stronger in one vent vs the others?

Did you have any smoke in the coach?

Can you see any trace of burnt wires?

Do you have a shop vac, if so can you get it into your vents and see if you can pick anything up. (Steal a pair of your wifes panty hose and make a filter for the shop vac)

I suspect that there is some left over manufacturing trash in a vent that is fairly close to the heat source.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #4

California
might have been slight smoke, but at 330 in the morning, it was hard to tell.
All the wiring looked fine, and the odor was consistent throughout. There is construction debris throughout the trailer, I am actually pretty disappointed with that.

Other problems I have had have been relative minor. The blank tank flush wasnt actually connected putting water into the bunk area. The dining seat ends are not mounted well, and fell off the first trip. There is an electric switch for the water heater, but it does not come with a dual heat water tank. ALL the keys were keyed different, so I switched that out. The vinyl floor was bubbling in a few spots and the tub was cracked and needed replacement. There is extra caulking everywhere.

Mine was a 2014 new on the lot. We LOVE the trailer, just surprised at all the little problems.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Alberta
We got our 2013 bhs this year, first trip there were a lot of things that seemed to be very shoddy workmanship.... We are booked in with the dealer at the end of september.

Front door doesn't seal at the bottom, back of dinette broke first time used, bathroom walls glue peeled, table was loose. Some other things I keep noticing that probably aren't even warranty claims.

The stairs are hard to pull in and out and seem to be crooked right from the start. Bathroom staurs are near impossible to pull out and to stow.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

British Columbia
When we first looked at these models we picked the one with espresso cushion and dinette colors. I went through it myself and looked at everything that I possibly could get my head or hands in. It seemed to be well built. No mess under cabinets or drawers. Everything closed tight and snapped shut. Before we picked it up they cleaned everything inside and out. We then spent two hours with the PDI fellow and showed us how everything worked. They had water in the fresh tank and turned the pump on with propane and also electric. Ran the taps and toilet and checked for leaks. Shower also. He ran the AC and furnace with us to make sure they were working. How to use them and the monitor panel. Ran the awning and slide in and out a few times. When the slide was in he noticed one side had a bit of a gap. He didn't like that and called one of the service fellows to look at it. He crawled underneath and did some adjustments and fixed it. Checked to make sure the seals were not binding. Sat inside the trailer and he answered any questions we had. Then another hour adjusting hitch so everything was level. He said after you try it out on a camping trip and find anything that we have problems with bring it back and he will have it looked at. He also said he would stop at our place on his way to work to repair anything that he could do. He lives close to us and the dealer is just a few miles down the road. So we will see comes apart after our first trip. Hope only minor things.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #7

California
I spent some time with my guy too, but I had lots of debris and continue to find more each trip. The heater works fine, and did on inspection. It just started to stink after it had been running for a bit on a colder night.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #8

British Columbia
What do you mean by construction debris. Was it not cleaned up.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #9

British Columbia
Plug...

I should have picked up on the fact that this was the first time you used your furnace. I now think that the problem may be the residue left over from the manufacturing of the furnace. Just about anything made of metal will have some oily residue on parts, from the cutting, threading of fittings and the like. I would run the furnace with the t-stat set at 75-80 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes. Let the trailer air out until you can't detect the offending smell. Then run the furnace at normal temps and see if you still have the smell.

If it's still there I would see your service center.

Wrangler...

Construction debris is stuff the gets swept under cabinets and into heating ducts.

I am in the process of up grading the bathroom faucet and when I got right into the vanity I could see sawdust and bits of foam insulation under the vanity.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #10

California
I ran the furnace for a while the second day with all the windows open. The odor didnt set the smoke detector off the second night, but its still pretty noxious. I had to take the trailer back for a few other repairs, so I am just going to let the vendor deal with it. My trailer seems to have an inordinate amount of debris in every crook and cranny of this trailer. Pulled the inner heater panel of below the fridge, and found some. Pulled the panel of to access the water heater, found some, bounce the trailer to the campsite, and find more all over the floor. Its like they squireled it away on purpose.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #11

British Columbia
I'll pull my access panels off and check. Maybe I will have a surprise.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
I ran the furnace for a while the second day with all the windows open. The odor didnt set the smoke detector off the second night, but its still pretty noxious. I had to take the trailer back for a few other repairs, so I am just going to let the vendor deal with it. My trailer seems to have an inordinate amount of debris in every crook and cranny of this trailer. Pulled the inner heater panel of below the fridge, and found some. Pulled the panel of to access the water heater, found some, bounce the trailer to the campsite, and find more all over the floor. Its like they squireled it away on purpose.
I don't see why construction techniques of a TT would be any different that a house.

If you could see behind the sheetrock the amount of garbage that gets dumped in the wall cavity. They don't have to pay to haul it away that way.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #13

California
good point. BUT, then liken it to any automobile, and you wouldnt accept it would you? Just doesnt bolster confidence in craftsmanship or attention to detail.

Dont get me wrong, I love this trailer and am willing to accept the mess, its just surprising, albeit, common in in the industry from what I gather.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
I was always under the impression that with a new camper, you should always run the furnace for an hour or so to let the ducts "burn in". I would never go to bed after turning on my furnace for the first time. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #15

Delaware
My dealer warned me about the furnace smell and the smoke detector going off when I bought my trailer last week. There will be residue on the parts from manufacturing. I plan to run mine at home before we go out and need it.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
good point. BUT, then liken it to any automobile, and you wouldnt accept it would you? Just doesnt bolster confidence in craftsmanship or attention to detail.

Dont get me wrong, I love this trailer and am willing to accept the mess, its just surprising, albeit, common in in the industry from what I gather.
We used to. The big three used to push out crap off the lines, then North Americans discovered there were opitions. All of a sudden the big three had to pull up their socks, quality started improving and now we can buy world class NA built cars and trucks.

Lack of competion is probably the biggest reason we have the problems that we do. There is no incentive for the manufacturers to improve quality.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #17

Alberta
Here's the issues we have found so far..... It's in the shop right now... Hopefully it all gets fixed.

- Front door seal at bottom, this one really pisses me off and doesnt help to keep rodents out. Luckily it doesnt seem like there is water coming in.

- table is loose

- back of dinette (not very well made, no support.....had to put a blanket between back and couch) This is because they put the screws in the wrong way, needs to come from the back and then be covered with 1/4 round or screw caps. right now it screws from the frame into the finished material that makes it easy for the screws to pull out.

-dinette side broken (not very well secured)

- finishing on the bunk corner

- bunk curtain is not wide enough

- bathroom wall not secured to wall, silicone bead pulled apart.

- The back stairs are wonky and really hard to pull out.

- the floor in the bathroom is bubbling

- the front of the trailer seems to have a crease and small dents just below the logo. (Maybe this is normal?)

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-albums27.html
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #18

British Columbia
Hddecker....my fellow Kamloopsium...there are competitors ..even some manufactures that are almost local..Oregon...check out the Website and Jubillee RV. It just depends on the price, construction, options etc.and what the wife/ partner likes as a layout, colour scheme etc.
I agree with you ...for the price one pays sure does not reflect the quality and customer service.
Outdoors RV Manufacturing

Coops SOB owner
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #19

British Columbia
So far have not found anything wrong with ours yet. Knock wood. The two things that gripe me is the three keys for the two main doors and the rear pac and play. Can they be changed to one key? The other is the ward closet on each side of bed are not long enough. Shirts on hangers crumple up and jackets are hard to get in. Could have done away with shelf on bottom of ward.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #20

Alberta
On mine I was given three keys but the side doors are the same... The PAC and play is different