Counter top Cracking - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #1

Utah
Counter top Cracking

The counter top in my 289RK Denali is starting to crack on the curved part about 1 inch in from the outside rim. The counter top appears to be a plastic material. Cheap Cheap should not do that. So far the crack is about 5 inches long. It looks like the whole curved part will break off if the crack keeps going. I wonder if I could put something in it to prevent it from going further? Are others having the same problem?
Mel

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:25 AM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
The counter top in my 289RK Denali is starting to crack on the curved part about 1 inch in from the outside rim. The counter top appears to be a plastic material. Cheap Cheap should not do that. So far the crack is about 5 inches long. It looks like the whole curved part will break off if the crack keeps going. I wonder if I could put something in it to prevent it from going further? Are others having the same problem?
Mel
Check the last post on this page:
[URL="http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f18/more-issues-164-7.html"l[/URL]

Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #3

British Columbia
I had the same thing. Dealer replaced my counter and several others on the sales lot.Seems it was a factory default that failed in cold weather coditions
Beaufort Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaufort Bandit View Post
I had the same thing. Dealer replaced my counter and several others on the sales lot.Seems it was a factory default that failed in cold weather coditions
Guess I will have to see how good my extended warranty is that the dealer talked me into. because it is out of factory warranty.
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Tennessee
Mine started splitting, the dealer is fixing it. It is still under warranty though.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Mine started splitting, the dealer is fixing it. It is still under warranty though.

That is due to water intrusion... mine is doing it in one corner. Not that bad. I am going to pull the nose part way off and lay a bead of sealant in there. Particle/chip board with a shove in nose piece AIN'T water proof.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is due to water intrusion... mine is doing it in one corner. Not that bad. I am going to pull the nose part way off and lay a bead of sealant in there. Particle/chip board with a shove in nose piece AIN'T water proof.

Aaron
It better not be, there are no water lines close, and no evidence of a roof leak It "mysteriously" appeared after the first round of warranty work, after they fixed the shower surround which is less than a foot away from the counter top.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
It better not be, there are no water lines close, and no evidence of a roof leak It "mysteriously" appeared after the first round of warranty work, after they fixed the shower surround which is less than a foot away from the counter top.
I meant water intrusion into the counter top...

Ours was from excess water that got splashed up from the sink. The trailer was a bit off level and it ran down to the corner behind the stove then out to the front edge.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I meant water intrusion into the counter top...

Ours was from excess water that got splashed up from the sink. The trailer was a bit off level and it ran down to the corner behind the stove then out to the front edge.

Aaron
Ah, I see. We've only used it 4 times, so hopefully it's them and not us. I'm fairly paranoid about water in a camper, I even wipe down all the shower walls after each use.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Ah, I see. We've only used it 4 times, so hopefully it's them and not us. I'm fairly paranoid about water in a camper, I even wipe down all the shower walls after each use.
If the new one is the same style it will do it again. I just checked mine and in a couple of places the nosing is slightly above the countertop which means it will catch water and lead it into the chipboard. I am considering replacing my countertop with a better version made out of something a bit more durable, like moisture resistant MDF or 12 ply furniture grade plywood.

We are OCD when it comes to a lot of our stuff. But it pays off. We sold our 10 year old Coleman Niagara popup for 125% of book value because it was in like nearly new condition and had quite a few upgrades on it, we did use it quite heavily for 7-8 of the 10 years we owned it.

I am in the process of building a larger carport to accommodate our 2015 Coleman CM16FBS, my wife doesn't want it up at the big barn. So I am working on the 28x40 carport off the back of the house.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #11

Tennessee
I have a buddy who does solid surface and he volunteered to replace it, but I wanted the dealer to do it first. The kitchen counter top is ss, I don't know why they cheaped out in the bathroom.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I have a buddy who does solid surface and he volunteered to replace it, but I wanted the dealer to do it first. The kitchen counter top is ss, I don't know why they cheaped out in the bathroom.
$$$$$

My Coleman is near the bottom of the line, everything in it is cheap. But we knew that when we bought it. I have the style of counter top you pictured in the kitchen area. There aren't any counter tops in the bathroom... too small.

Aaron

Tags
cheap, counter top, crack