Converter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Illinois
Converter

I suspect my converter may be bad. I’m not too proud to admit I had my battery hooked up backwards after re-install this winter and now my General Purpose breaker keeps tripping. I had the battery checked and it shows good so no issues there. I replaced the 30 amp fuses (put there for dummies like me) , and have green light verifying power to the converter, lights work, but GP 15 amp breaker keeps tripping. Does this mean my converter needs replaced? I have an 04 Adirondack and my converter is installed on end to the left of the fuses and breakers so I think I may be limited on size with a replacement. Any ideas?

fisky@nwcable.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I don't know what a general purpose breaker is. My Kodiak Cub has a "Main" 30 amp breaker that controls all shore power to the TT. My TT also has several "branch" 15 amp breakers. One branch is dedicated to the converter. Nothing else on the circuit.

If your converter is connected to the breaker that trips, the converter could be the cause.

You need to know what appliances and outlets are on the "general purpose" breaker. Disconnect them one at a time to troubleshoot.

My converter/charger has a 30 amp main output fuse and a 40 amp reverse polarity fuse to protect when hooked up backwards. I expect replacing the fuse would be all that is needed.

Other 12 volt appliances may be connected directly to the battery through fuses not on the main panel and may have been damaged. I would not expect such a failed device to trip a circuit breaker, but it is possible in some cases.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #3

Illinois
Replaced the self resetting circuit breakers off the battery, still same issue. Upon further investigation I found that someone had at one time hooked another wire up to the general purpose breaker which should be for the converter only. When I moved this wire to the GFCI breaker it tripped that breaker out when power was reestablished. I put a neural nut on that wire and everything else seems to work except the outlets by the bed. The converter has power and the cooling fan is running so I’m hoping my converter is good. I left the outside light on with shore power hooked up so I’ll hopefully know soon if my converter is good. Thanks for the help!
fisky@nwcable.net is offline   Reply With Quote