Considering a Coleman 192/202 RD - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #1

Missouri
Considering a Coleman 192/202 RD

Hi all. We are considering purchasing our first travel trailer this year. We have been boat owners for several years but we are tired of having to rely on good weather AND good river or lake conditions to enjoy our hobby. Travel trailer camping would be less dependent on what Mother Nature has to deal out. Additionally, now we have to maintain boat and trailer, whereas one thing can be eliminated with just a camper. We are also just looking for a little slower pace.

We are empty nesters now and are just looking for a simple couples trailer, w/o any slides, with a living area, a separate fridge and freezer, and an oven in addition to the stove top. We have a Ram 1500 pickup with the 5.7 Hemi, so we have an adequate tow vehicle for our needs with a WD hitch. I originally came across the rear dinette floorplan in the form of the Coleman 192. Upon further research I found that they have a slightly larger RD plan in the 202. The 202 has the bed facing front to rear with two wardrobes and nightstands whereas the 192 has a sideways bed with one wardrobe and nightstand. The 202 also has a slightly larger sofa. I have found many other manufacturers that offer very similar trailers. One that is particularly appealing that has the identical floorplan is the Heartland Pioneer 210RD. There are many things it has over the Coleman 202 that are attractive but I am not sure if they are worth the additional cost. Here is the list,

Cabinets over the bed between the wardrobes, Coleman just has a shelf.

Faux tile tub surround.

Power corner jacks and power tongue jack.

Larger windows in the living area plus an extra window in the bedroom area.

Grab handle by the entry door.

Spare tire and folding utility rack attached to the rear bumper area of the camper.

Out of all of those, the last one is most appealing to us. The cost difference ranges from 2-2.5K between the two. I would appreciate any opinions about the cost difference vs. the options. Also, are we just asking for failure problems with the power jacks? The faux tile in the shower seems like it would be more water resistant. The windows and the cabinets aren't really too big of a deal. I am also wondering if build quality would be much different between the two.

Thanks in advance, Tom

twocell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Missouri
Love my 192RD!

I've said it on here before, but my wife and I love our Coleman 192RD. I retired this past July after 30 years in public education, our children are grown, and it is just my wife and I. That makes our trailer perfect for us!

She gets up early in the morning, but does not disturb my continued sleep since the back living area is far enough away from the bed. She can read with a light on while I snooze. That is one advantage of the bed facing the way it does in the 192. Also, I am 6'6" tall and find the bed great to sleep on. However, it is more difficult to make up the bed after I finally wake up.

Not having cabinets over the bed actually helped my decision. It makes the trailer ever so slightly lighter. I also have a 1/2 ton truck that I pull it with, and I don't need any extra weight. My wife found small square baskets that fit perfectly on the shelf that hold many things. We don't need the cabinets.

The only negative about the Coleman is that they made the windows smaller on the models that followed ours. We got ours from the first half of 2015 and it has larger windows in the back than the current models do. I noticed the difference when I saw the newer model in a campground. We love to sit on the couch or the dinette and look out the windows.

We have used ours since December of 2015 for short trips to the lakes around us and long trips to the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. It has been our best trailer (of four in our lives) so far! Little things have needed attention, but nothing beyond my ability to fix. The price was fantastic too. I don't personally believe that the extra money for the upgrades you listed would be worth that much money. Just the opinion of someone who loves his 192RD.

Either way you can't lose. They are both great options!

2015 Coleman CTS192RD
2018 Ford F150 XLT 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
jbacke20119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Ohio
Welcome!!

I'm a newbie around here as well. Just bought a 16FB before Christmas. I needed a lighter trailer as I'm towing with a minivan (at least for now). One of my requirements was a "real" bathroom (not interested in the wet bath set ups) and another was non-trapped bed. Most of the time I will be travelling alone, so it's not necessarily a huge issue. But on those trips where my DH is accompanying me I don't want to have to crawl over him to get up in the morning. Also, making a bed when you only have one side open is a real pain (but I'm short and have no reach).

As for the need for other 'bits' ... I've not used mine yet. So I'm still learning myself!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

Texas
Well, as usual, you are getting good advice on this forum. It's chock full of the kind of folks that can make a great forum.

My 2cents is financial. If you were much younger, I'd probably just hold my tongue.

I've worked hard for decades and now find myself in the last few chapters. Nothing bad or wrong with that. But at this point, I make my compromises using different criteria. What I am saying is, if you are fortunate to find your selection of choices within a couple of $thousand bucks, you are....well, fortunate!

No way would I deny myself my FIRST choice over a couple of grand.
I know, "easy to say that when you don't know my circumstances".
And that might be true.
But only you know where to draw that line and I'm just saying I draw it differently in these last chapters.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #5

Missouri
Thanks for the replies so far. I had thought about baskets on the front shelf also. As I stated, along with the window size, that wasn't too big of a deal. What type of wall does the 192 have in the shower area? Is it like the rest of the trailer or a more water resistant material? It's hard to tell on the internet pics. Also, for anyone on here with power jacks, are you able to operate them manually if the motors fail?

Also, being a newbie here, I see DW and DH in several posts. Obviously I know what W and H are for, but what does the D stand for??
Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Arkansas
We have had our 192RD for about 4-5 years now. We have done a lot of camping in it mostly weekends and holidays. Most of the time just me and the wife.
We still like the floor plan. I also have a 2014 Ram 1500 no W/D hitch.
It is perfect for 2 people, we have had 5 a few times.
The one thing you mentioned was the bed. If I had one do over it would be having the bed turned long ways being able to walk around it. And making it easier to change the sheets as was mentioned.
My advice would be if you can afford it get the one you like either way the Hemi will drag it anywhere you want to go.
good luck.
d_eggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocell View Post

Also, being a newbie here, I see DW and DH in several posts. Obviously I know what W and H are for, but what does the D stand for??
I know it as Dear, Darling or Damn ... depending on tone of message!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I know it as Dear, Darling or Damn ... depending on tone of message!
That explains it. I did take it several different ways in different posts. On my boating forum it's mainly men posting. We all assume we are the captains but we all call our wives The Admiral.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

Missouri
I appreciate all of the replies from 192 owners. I included that model number in the title hoping for your comments given the fact that the 202 is just a stretched version of the 192. Keep em coming.....

Do you 192 owners have spare tires? If so, did they come with the unit or did you purchase it separately? Also, where do you keep it?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #10

Arkansas
Mine didn't come with a spare, I did talk them into throwing one in. I have it mounted in the middle of the rear bumper.
d_eggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #11

Missouri
Mine also didn't come with a spare tire, but I told the salesman that I wouldn't accept delivery without one mounted on the back bumper. Like magic, he made it happen! Ha!

The shower/tub is nothing special, just a plastic tub surround. Even at my extreme height, I still use it all the time. The skylight gives me just enough headroom.

I bought mine during a time when Camping World had an online notice for a $300 gift card for anyone buying a new tow-behind RV. I used that money for a power tongue jack, a wheel chock, a 25' power cord, and a few little things. All in all, a great bargain on a teacher's salary!

2015 Coleman CTS192RD
Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacke20119 View Post
Mine also didn't come with a spare tire, but I told the salesman that I wouldn't accept delivery without one mounted on the back bumper. Like magic, he made it happen! Ha!

The shower/tub is nothing special, just a plastic tub surround. Even at my extreme height, I still use it all the time. The skylight gives me just enough headroom.

I bought mine during a time when Camping World had an online notice for a $300 gift card for anyone buying a new tow-behind RV. I used that money for a power tongue jack, a wheel chock, a 25' power cord, and a few little things. All in all, a great bargain on a teacher's salary!
How was your Camping World experience? I have read good and bad. Did you go to the one near Springfield on I-44?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

Missouri
We went to the Camping World in Columbia, Missouri. Overall, we had a really good experience. The salesman wasn't pushy and the entire crew that works in the store was extremely nice. The only negative was the meeting with the financing guy. He was kinda pushy (I know they get a kickback for each financed RV), but we had received a hail damage settlement on our last trailer and were paying cash. He tried, but I just told him no. No big deal. I know everyone has a job to do.

My parents live down by the Camping World in Springfield and make frequent trips there during sales. They really like that one too, but haven't bought an RV from them.

Any way you slice it, an RV dealer is like a car dealer. They can be pushy. They can be good. They can be bad. Coming into the process with an idea of what you want and how much you will pay is key. Even the idea of walking away should stay in the plan.

2015 Coleman CTS192RD
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #14

Missouri
We are in the STL area and the closest one to us is in Wentzville, MO. A coworker of mine bought a fifth wheel and also opted for the Columbia location. He said they were much better to deal with than the closer location.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #15

Mississippi
We have had our 192RD for 1 year and absolutely love it. This is our first trailer and hope to use it for about 5 years if possible. The downfalls for us is the East-West bed, it's a drag trying to make the bed. Also, the bathroom is very small. I'm a good size guy and just not comfortable at all siting on the toilet. We love the layout and plenty of storage room, at least for us. We pull ours with a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500. Nice meeting some folks with the same trailers!
Stlrj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #16

Missouri
OK, today I got quotes from two dealers, both for 14K. First one is for the Coleman 202RD and the second one is for the Jayco 212 QB SLX. Except for fabrics and paint colors, they are nearly identical. I thought I wanted the Coleman but the Jayco is appealing because the dealer has a better reputation. What to do???
Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrj58 View Post
We have had our 192RD for 1 year and absolutely love it. This is our first trailer and hope to use it for about 5 years if possible. The downfalls for us is the East-West bed, it's a drag trying to make the bed. Also, the bathroom is very small. I'm a good size guy and just not comfortable at all siting on the toilet. We love the layout and plenty of storage room, at least for us. We pull ours with a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500. Nice meeting some folks with the same trailers!
First time RV buyer here And I got the 192 in April of 2016, the one thing I didn't check was sitting on the toilet, wish I had. Fortunately, I travel by myself and can have the 'luxury' of not shutting the door, when I do have to close it, it is uncomfortable. So much so that I am considering moving the sink completely or selling the trailer. I won't make the same mistake twice. I turned my rear dinette into an office desk and that is the main reason I bought this floor plan, it's nice to be working with windows all around.

I didn't get a spare tire but am planning a xcountry trip in a month and will be adding one to the rear bumper.
I added a power jack, made all the difference in the world when using the load leveler hitch.

The internal storage space under the bed was a really good spot for lithium battery upgrades.

I've had no real issues with mine yet, although I do think the axles are out of alignment.
Good luck
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #18

Mississippi
I feel your pain with the toilet. Do you have any pics of the inside? I'm curious to see how you turned the dinette into a desk.
Stlrj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 AM   #19

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrj58 View Post
I feel your pain with the toilet. Do you have any pics of the inside? I'm curious to see how you turned the dinette into a desk.
Not yet. Basically started from just turning the table 90 degrees against the wall under the window and putting a file box where the back bench would be. This way I can still turn it back into a Dinette or bed if needed. Also added an office chair on wheels that fits right in.
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #20

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocell View Post
Hi all. We are considering purchasing our first travel trailer this year. We have been boat owners for several years but we are tired of having to rely on good weather AND good river or lake conditions to enjoy our hobby. Travel trailer camping would be less dependent on what Mother Nature has to deal out. Additionally, now we have to maintain boat and trailer, whereas one thing can be eliminated with just a camper. We are also just looking for a little slower pace.

We are empty nesters now and are just looking for a simple couples trailer, w/o any slides, with a living area, a separate fridge and freezer, and an oven in addition to the stove top. We have a Ram 1500 pickup with the 5.7 Hemi, so we have an adequate tow vehicle for our needs with a WD hitch. I originally came across the rear dinette floorplan in the form of the Coleman 192. Upon further research I found that they have a slightly larger RD plan in the 202. The 202 has the bed facing front to rear with two wardrobes and nightstands whereas the 192 has a sideways bed with one wardrobe and nightstand. The 202 also has a slightly larger sofa. I have found many other manufacturers that offer very similar trailers. One that is particularly appealing that has the identical floorplan is the Heartland Pioneer 210RD. There are many things it has over the Coleman 202 that are attractive but I am not sure if they are worth the additional cost. Here is the list,

Cabinets over the bed between the wardrobes, Coleman just has a shelf.

Faux tile tub surround.

Power corner jacks and power tongue jack.

Larger windows in the living area plus an extra window in the bedroom area.

Grab handle by the entry door.

Spare tire and folding utility rack attached to the rear bumper area of the camper.

Out of all of those, the last one is most appealing to us. The cost difference ranges from 2-2.5K between the two. I would appreciate any opinions about the cost difference vs. the options. Also, are we just asking for failure problems with the power jacks? The faux tile in the shower seems like it would be more water resistant. The windows and the cabinets aren't really too big of a deal. I am also wondering if build quality would be much different between the two.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Hey Tom
So I traded my boat and 24' Sonic camper for my new Kodiak 291RESL
Enjoyed the sonic TT, check them out. No concerns while owning it
GOOD LUCK, ENJOY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote