Coleman Lantern Water Heater Electric upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

New York
Coleman Lantern Water Heater Electric upgrade

Hey all. I’m about to sign the papers on a like-new 2019 Coleman Lantern 263BH. It seems to tick all our boxes as an entry level, budget friendly bunk house with a slide. The one thing I’m not too keen on is the gas-only DSI water heater.

I was searching and found an electric conversion kit from Camco https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Hot-Water-Hybrid-Heat/dp/B0024ECCJW

Anyone have any experience with this kit? I’d love to see some pictures especially if you have a Coleman! Thanks!

Lou

Sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

South Carolina
We had a little Coleman, and the water heater was gas only. Our current is dual, elec and gas. We prefer the gas! Here's why: 1. In the summer, the AC, the converter, and the fridge all add up to a few amps. I've had to change a burned out plug and an extension outlet. 2. Gas heats the water faster. That means faster when you are waiting to do dishes, or take a shower, AND higher recovery means you'll have a longer time in the shower before you run out of hot water. 3. I like to hear the "rush" of the gas flame knowing the water is heating up. 4. Propane use is negligible. We use it for heat, and sometimes fridge. Of course we use the fridge when traveling, on gas. A tank refill here is $10, and we might do that twice a season. 5. I've seen those adapter kits, and they might work. But the heat coil is smaller than normal, to fit in the drain hole. I wouldn't bother.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 AM   #3

Oregon
My Coleman is gas only but my last trailer had a dual system When it was on electric the water got so hot the release valve would start to leak. It did not do this on gas.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
My Coleman is gas only but my last trailer had a dual system When it was on electric the water got so hot the release valve would start to leak. It did not do this on gas.
That sounds like a thermostat problem. If the thermostat was not telling the heater to turn off it would do that.
Sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlou View Post
That sounds like a thermostat problem. If the thermostat was not telling the heater to turn off it would do that.
The trailer was brand new so I contacted the Dealer and they said the temperature was set by the manufacturer and there was no way to set it to a different temperature.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, electric conversion, water heater