Coleman CTS16FBS? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

Indiana
Coleman CTS16FBS?

We're considering purchasing a Coleman Trailer, CTS16FBS, and we're interested in learning from anyone who owns one what you think of it (good and bad).

It's been a few years (6) since we owned an RV. We were full timers with DW, 4 kids, and 2 dogs from 2006-2008 in a Travel Supreme 5th wheel. I retired from the Army in 2006, and we home schooled our kids so we took them on an American History tour for 23 months around our great country. Kids are now all grown up (2 graduated from college, 2 in college) and we're looking to hit the road again in a smaller capacity = not full time, a few weekends and a few weeks at a time (working again ... kids in college duh). We've got a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3500 lbs tow capacity, 350 lbs hitch capacity. I've already got a weight distribution hitch, and anti-sway bar (owned a 32' Holiday Rambler before the 5th wheel) so I think I'm good to go with this set-up, just looking to see what other owners think of the Coleman Trailer.
Thanks for any input you can provide.

Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

South Carolina
We have the CTS14FD (just a little shorter, but no full-time bed. Dinette bed only). We love it! We bought it just a year ago and are already looking at larger, we like the idea of the bed is the bed, and the table is something else. All that being said, we love the Coleman brand, and the camper is made very well. Yes, we've had some "nits," and you'll see discussions between me and WAHOONC (search his posts, he has the 16 ft model) But compared to some, we've got it made, everything works! Classic case of "keep it simple, stupid!" We are retired military, and this year, retired on Soc Sec, and no longer working. We've taken ours across country with a little old Dodge Dakota V6. (Have since replaced that with a bigger V8), but the V6 made the trip! Check out my posts and his, you'll see pictures, too!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Morning Retired...

Must be nice, I was headed for "retirement" from my day job at age 55 but due to a few economic reasons it didn't happen.

I have a 16' as Marty pointed out. It is a great little trailer and we are pretty happy with it. It is just me, my bride and a 50# dog when we go camping. We spent almost a week in it this past summer with no problems. The bathroom is a bit on the small side, especially if you want to use the shower. Love the side mount air conditioner. It saved our backsides in October. We showed up to camp at the Scottish Games and there were only 20 amp circuits. We were the only trailer that could run our A/C on that. Needed it too, it was in the upper 80's during the day. My wife insists on a bed that stays made up, so that was her choice. I like the concept of murphy beds, but Coleman doesn't offer them.

Overall fit and finish on the Coleman is probably average for the current RV industry. Make sure you poke, prod and check everything out. I have found some not so nice stuff behind the scenes on mine, but it is no big deal and I have seen it in $750,000 motorhomes too. Things like stripped screws, split mount blocks on cabinets, messy wiring, etc.

I am in the midst of doing a bunch of upgrades to mine. We probably should have done a bit more research and bought a tad bigger with more bells and whistles, but c'est la vie.

The camper is a 3 season camper, the tanks are exposed so camping in freezing weather requires some forethought or an upgrade to tank heaters.

I would double check the numbers I think you are going to be overweight for towing with your current vehicle. The 16' runs tongue heavy and very quickly runs up to the GVW of 3800#, my tongue weight was a bit over 400# on the last trip. The cargo carrying capacity is on the light side too. It is only a bit over ~500#. My biggest concern is the tires on it. They are right at rated capacity when loaded to go camping. I will be upgrading to 15" wheels and a D rated tire before next season, I haven't had any issues... yet. But it makes me uneasy, especially on a single axle trailer.

I would seriously consider either going down to the 14' like Marty has or getting a better suited tow vehicle. FWIW we tow with 2003 F150 4.6 liter V-8 factory tow package. It is rated to 6,800# towing capacity. I try stay under 5,000# with it.

If you have any other questions let me know. I check in a couple of times a day or you can email me.

Good Luck with your search!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Indiana
Thanks guys, pretty much what I'd expected. I'll do a good 100% check of the trailer before buying, run all electrical components, water, sewer etc., and check all the fit and finish items. Camping World's got three of them with a sticker weight right at 3080 lbs. Granted I'll be close to my max of 3500 lbs, and I'll use a weight distribution hitch to keep the hitch weight within spec's.
Good to hear your both happy with the Coleman brand. We don't plan on doing any 4 season camping (at least not until I "Retire" again, this time for good ... but not for another 7 years). I'm 55 right now so working till I'm 62 ... or so works for me. I'm also pretty handy = very little I can't fix, along with having a hobby as a woodworker (I like to make Amish style furniture), so I figure I'll be able to fix about anything that may pop up. My DW like buying from Camping World because if we do have a problem they are located throughout the USA.
Again, thanks for your comments, and enjoy your time on the road.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #5

California
Going from a Travel Supreme to the Coleman is going to be a big difference.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
That 3084 is dry weight from the factory. Add a battery and a full 20# tank of propane to that weight. And that is BEFORE you add any personal gear.

Also I would check and see how the tow rating is calculated on the Hyundai, I know with a lot of vehicles that towing capacity is reduced by the load in the vehicle. You should have a GCVWR number for the Santa Fe.

Aaron
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
We've got a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3500 lbs tow capacity, 350 lbs hitch capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That 3084 is dry weight from the factory. Add a battery and a full 20# tank of propane to that weight. And that is BEFORE you add any personal gear.
Personally, based on what Wahoonc is saying and your stated limits, I think you are pushing hard in the realms of the very unsafe.

When you are pulling a trailer that weighs as much, or worse, more than the towing vehicle, you have, to paraphrase, entered the "white knuckle zone."

I had a Toyota Tacoma, rated at 6500# max towing capacity. When I pulled a trailer with a sxs, and 2 quads, I was real nervous, especially in side winds.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #8

South Carolina
Maybe he can do it. Here's my math: All numbers in lbs. Battery/case 50, propane 40, 10 gal H2O 80, toolbox 40, hoses 10, ext wire 20, sewer hose/fittings 10, pillow/blankets 10, minimal soda and sandwiches 10, 2 lawn chairs 20, small wall mount TV 20, 2X backpacks with clothes and toiletries 30 = 340lbs + empty trailer = 3420! Actually, we were probably way overloaded on our trip to KS, with a generator in the back of the truck too, with extra propane, gas, and many tools.
Remember too, that we all buy things on emotion, and then justify it later with facts! Good luck, and keep us posted! (P.S., part of me says buy the camper now, then make a big deal about the weight, so you can convince your DW to get a new truck next year! LOL)
Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
I still think he is going to be over his GCVW rating with that trailer and vehicle combination. But to each their own. I have knowingly exceeded mine for short distances with my F350. Had my eye peeled for DMV enforcement the whole way too. It would have been EXPENSIVE if I had gotten caught.

My rule of thumb is to take 75% of the rated towing capacity and compare it to the GVW of the trailer to be towed. Anything over 75% requires further investigation. I know one trailer I recently looked at had a GVW of 7,000# however the empty weight was just a bit over 4,000# Helluva CCC on that one!

Aaron
Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #10

North Carolina
I'm pulling a 16fbs with a 2013 Silverado 1500.I have owned a SantaFe and I really don't think pulling that trailer with it would be fun.I have scaled my rig very lightly loaded.Results were 2900 on the trailer axle,480 on the tongue.No water in any tank.battery and 20lb tank on the front,very little food inside,maybe 50lbs of stuff in the front compartment.[these are tongue heavy for such a small trailer.You also should add the 70 or so lbs that the WDH adds to the rear of the TV.
nctrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #11

My Dutchmen 814RB is extremely close to the Coleman CTS14FD. I love it. It is the two of us and a little dog.

We have an 8" memory foam mattress permanently set up on the dinette cushions and if we need to eat inside, we use small tables.

Ours has the rooftop air conditioner, which works very well. I can run it off of the regular house outdoor outlet.

I keep my stuff in the cabinets over the sofa, and DH get the cabinets over the dinette/bed.

We travel with a 4 person Coleman Insta-tent for any overflow - mostly for outdoor chairs and fishing equipment - but we get better every time at minimalist camping.

We pull it with a 1/2 ton Hemi engine Dodge Ram. It can make it around our West Virginia hills just fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 AM   #12

South Carolina
There is now a 2013 Coleman CTS14FD at the Columbia SC Camping World. We made sure it was in great shape, they said retail should be around $9K. They did well by us. Adios, little guy!