Coleman 192rds - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Georgia
Coleman 192rds

New member here and looking to learn all I can from you guys. Let me start by saying I have never owned a camper. We have some friends who have toy haulers but other then that don't know much about them. I have been researching and going to look at Rv dealers to learn as much as I can. Me and the wife went looking this weekend and stumbled across a Coleman 192 rds lantern. We really like the camper and the layout. It looks like it would be easy to maintain and be a good first travel trailer. My questions are how do they hold up and is this a good reliable camper. From what I have read less is more sometimes when buying a camper and this seems to fit the bill. Just looking to learn the good and the bad from people who actually own them. The second issue I have is the only people who sell them anywhere close to me is camping world which I don't hear a lot of good things about. The one I would be dealing with is in Jacksonville fl. So like I said just trying to hear from the people who actually own colemans your thoughts on if this would be a good camper for me and the wife without leaving a bad taste in our mouth with a list of problems. I have searched online but not much comes up. Thanks in advance for your time

ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

The Coleman Lantern series is a base level unit. However they are built using proven technology aka wood framing, which is old school but when assembled and maintained properly is just fine.

Make sure to do a thorough PDI before signing on the dotted line, don't be afraid to walk away if there are any major issues.

Camping World... unfortunately they are the primary seller of the Coleman units. Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing, watch for hidden charges and pressure sales tactics. Know what the price is supposed to be and what the necessities like the WDH hitch and brake controller cost before they add them on.

I liked our little Coleman, I considered the assembly on it about average for the current state of the RV industry, however I am familiar with the construction and can fix/repair just about any thing.

Good Luck with your purchase and let us know how you make out.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

Missouri
We love our Coleman 192RD!

Glad to hear that you have taken the RV plunge! I will give you my quick opinion of our Coleman 192RD. In short, we love it! It may be considered a base model, but it is the nicest of the four campers that we have owned. We really like the living space in the back and the bed in the front. That means that if we have visitors that they don't have to sit on the bed to watch TV. It also means that I can sleep late while my wife reads in the back of the trailer.

I am 6' 6" tall and the bed, shower, couch, and dinette all work fine for me. I figure they should work for regular sized people too.

We bought the trailer in December of 2014 (it is a 2015 model) and have put about 7000 miles on it since then. It is great for weekend runs to the lake or our long trips to Utah and back to Missouri. Of course there have been small things (loose screws, etc.) that have needed to be fixed, but the overall quality is fine to me. I would love to have a huge, fancy trailer, but the Coleman is affordable for a retired public school teacher and counselor and has everything we need.

I found our experience at Camping World in Columbia, Missouri to be great. The salesman was very good to us even though I continued to ask questions through e-mail for the weeks leading up to us picking it up. The only hard sell part was the guy who insisted we finance even though we were wanting to pay cash. All it takes is a little backbone (and the word NO), and he took our check. I even negotiated a WD hitch, spare tire and rack, and several other small things that the dealer did not charge for. I know others have had bad experiences with Camping World, but ours was excellent.

Sorry for the long post, but I really like to tell anyone who will listen to me that we love our Coleman (best floorplan out there we think!). No camper or dealer is perfect, but we have found something that may last us as long as the tent camper we had for 15 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3233.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	3793  

2015 Coleman CTS192RD
2018 Ford F150 XLT 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
jbacke20119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Georgia
Thanks fellas for the info and feedback. The more I know and learn the better. I really like the Coleman camper and being 6'2 I thought it had better head room then some I have been in. I know this might sound funny but I kinda like the basic of it. I my mind less stuff to break and maintain. I don't want to spend a pile of money at first and want to make sure it's something I'm actually going to enjoy. I also didn't want something to big for my truck. I own a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi quad cab 4x4 with 3.92 gears and didn't want to over load it or make it struggle. Please keep all the info coming. The more the better. Also what up keep do you guys recommend? I want it to last as long as possible and I don't mind doing my part to help with that maintenance wise. I know nothing about campers or up keep so any and all info is great
Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Arkansas
congrats
we bought our 192RD in 2012/2013. Its still doing well no major issues.
My best advice would be to get a RV cover to protect it from the sun.
d_eggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

Texas
Hey Ruger!

First of all, go for it! You worked hard all your life and now you are retired, soooooooo you've earned it!

And second, one of the best things about that Coleman is this site. You won't have to worry about being on your own when\if some issue does pop up. There is SURE to be some helpful fella around here that can assist you when the time comes. And I think that specific unit has a pretty good following around here. But even that doesn't matter since all these little tinyhouses use the same methods and products.

Cheers
Looking forward to some pics.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hey Ruger!

First of all, go for it! You worked hard all your life and now you are retired, soooooooo you've earned it!

And second, one of the best things about that Coleman is this site. You won't have to worry about being on your own when\if some issue does pop up. There is SURE to be some helpful fella around here that can assist you when the time comes. And I think that specific unit has a pretty good following around here. But even that doesn't matter since all these little tinyhouses use the same methods and products.

Cheers
Looking forward to some pics.
I wish I was retired lol. I got a while before that. I am glad I found this site. You guys are already being a help to me
Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #8

Texas
ooops. Thought you were the retired teacher. My bad! lol

ok then............how about:

You work hard all week Ruger and you deserver to chase sunsets and sunrises on the weekend. So go for it!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

Missouri
As far as maintenance goes, I would agree with the comment about the cover. I washed and waxed the trailer this fall and put my cover on. The cover is now two years old and showing very little wear. In the spring I take it off and have a clean trailer ready to hit the road.

I did have the wheel bearings repacked, but I hear different sides to that issue. I also have a 1/2 ton truck that I pull it with and have had few problems. Monarch Pass in Colorado was a chore, but we made it. Since I drive my truck every day, I can't see getting a big one, so the trailer's size and weight is great.

I count on this forum for all kinds of great information too. I check it just about every day to see what others are doing. There is a ton of great information and wisdom here.

2015 Coleman CTS192RD
2018 Ford F150 XLT 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
jbacke20119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #10

Georgia
Glad I found this site. At least I know if my dealer is terrible I know you guys could probably walk me though any repairs. I look forward to learning all I can from you guys
Old 12-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #11

Florida
Ruger,
About the most important upkeep item you need to do is the roof and exterior wall sealant. You need to inspect all of the sealant seams very often and reseal even the tiniest crack in the sealant you find. Water will find a way to into your camper and that is when the fun starts. Even the slightest amount of water inside will start things like wood paneling delamination, unsightly water spots, wood rot and unhealthy mold growth inside your walls. Make it a habit to inspect them regularly (at least monthly!).

Enjoy it!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #12

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Ruger,
About the most important upkeep item you need to do is the roof and exterior wall sealant. You need to inspect all of the sealant seams very often and reseal even the tiniest crack in the sealant you find. Water will find a way to into your camper and that is when the fun starts. Even the slightest amount of water inside will start things like wood paneling delamination, unsightly water spots, wood rot and unhealthy mold growth inside your walls. Make it a habit to inspect them regularly (at least monthly!).

Enjoy it!
What kind of roofs come on these. I haven't been able to climb up on one yet. Thanks for the tips by the way. What kinda sealant do I need to keep on hand?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Florida
Roof and sealent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
What kind of roofs come on these. I haven't been able to climb up on one yet. Thanks for the tips by the way. What kinda sealant do I need to keep on hand?
Roof is rubber, get some rubber RV roof cleaner and sealer on the amaz. store on line clean 2x a year. and carry some clear sealeant for rv do not use silicon for the windows and such Dicor self leaving lap sealent dor the roof. This is what I do and it still leaks when the slide is out in a heavy rain!! I have to buy and install a slide topper. Need a new awning too! The sun beats the crap out of RV's!!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Florida
More info

I see you have a nice truck to pull it with, Dodge 1/2 ton. I pull mine with a 2016 Chevy 1500 rated to haul over 9,000 pounds. I do not use a weight distribution hitch. I think they are a waste of money when hauling a small trailer. Just do not overload the truck payload and trailer. My trailer weighs around 6,500 lbs it says fully loaded. I get a little sway in high winds but then I just slow down to around 57 MPH from 63 MPH and it stops any sway. Do not travel over 65 MPH the tires are not designed for anything over 65, they will heat up and blow out if you do. I have seen many blowouts on the road on travel trailers and 5th wheels passing me at 75+ MPH! a few miles down the road they have blow outs. That is a nice trailer you are looking at perfect for 2 people. Look for a used one and save some money. We love to camp, used to tent camp to old for that now!! RV camping is great for us. Hope you get your RV see ya on the road!!

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote