Cleaning Roof... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Texas
Cleaning Roof...

Good afternoon to all! Currently in a Coleman light lx 1705rb and we are looking to move up to either the Coleman 2019 2515rl or 2605rl. First question is does anyone have any feedback on these two models? Secondly, am I being overly concerned or skeptical about the roof if they have told me I can't walk on top of it while I am cleaning? I've got it in my mind that it means the roof is not that strong. Should that be a deal-breaker?

Sandraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandraze View Post
Good afternoon to all! Currently in a Coleman light lx 1705rb and we are looking to move up to either the Coleman 2019 2515rl or 2605rl. First question is does anyone have any feedback on these two models? Secondly, am I being overly concerned or skeptical about the roof if they have told me I can't walk on top of it while I am cleaning? I've got it in my mind that it means the roof is not that strong. Should that be a deal-breaker?

Our Kodiak Ultralight 243 BHSL is also not designed for roof walking. The framework is made from aluminum. The entire framework. Roof, walls and floor. Probably most "lite" designs are that way. Does that mean the roof is not as strong as one that is built to walk on. Well, yes. What was our alternative? Buy a bigger truck. We have an 8000 lb towing capacity. And i wanted some leeway, so the trailer weights 5000 lbs.

Roof is still intact after almost 2 years. Your mileage may vary,

Good luck!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks ArmyVeteran for a quick reply and good insight. Did get the bigger truck to pull a bigger RV, but was trying to stick within a smaller price range for now while still getting an upgrade. Either of these two (or a few others) will work fine for us with the roof the way it is. We do keep it in a completely enclosed storage when not in use (10 long weekends a year?) and will be keeping up with the maintenance.

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks ArmyVeteran for a quick reply and good insight. Did get the bigger truck to pull a bigger RV, but was trying to stick within a smaller price range for now while still getting an upgrade. Either of these two (or a few others) will work fine for us with the roof the way it is. We do keep it in a completely enclosed storage when not in use (10 long weekends a year?) and will be keeping up with the maintenance.

Thanks again!
Your quite welcome. I'm sure you will get some more replies here.

Enclosed storage is a big plus! I'm jealous. - constant cleaning especially of that roof is a big pain. We unfortunately park at home under trees. Ughhhh.

Good luck and have fun.
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #5

Illinois
That just means you will need a tall sturdy ladder and a nice long scrub brush. Sacrifices need to be made in areas to keep weight down, so not surprised the roof is thinner.

Have you looked at the 264RL? Same GVWR as what you listed, similar floorplan as the 2605 and you can walk on the roof. It also costs less and no risk of delamination or paint fade. I have a 274BH and even though it is 5 years old, still looks like new. Even has a ladder to get up on the roof.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Texas
Hey acdii, thanks again! You know, we never really checked out the 264RL since we thought we wanted to stay with a fiberglass exterior. We store our current RV in a completely enclosed storage unit so exterior issues should not be too bad. I like the idea of that roof being walkable, so I am going to go check out the 264RL now. If I like it, I'll add it to our considered list! Thanks again for the feedback! Much appreciated!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Illinois
Don't be afraid of the metal sides, a good coat of wax and they look like new for a long time. Mine is still bright white and shiny even though it sits out all summer, and gets stored in a barn Nov to April. I know the fiberglass exterior is more aesthetically pleasing, but it also costs more, and can be heavier on some trailers, which is why you can't walk on the roof of the lites.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
i got my 2605RL last summer, so this year I decided to do the roof wash, check for any crappy caulk jobs. I too worried it was going to be "cracky" walking on the roof. It seemed ok, I would say I could feel the roof not being firm, but nothing noted inside or outside being different. I weigh 260, I should or hired a kid to scrub and brush it down. But I needed to walk, crawl all over it to seal some screws needing a better caulk job. and seals around "things" on the roof also needed some owner touch-ups. Hard to do from the ladder, heck impossible.
Now I had black mold stripes on the roof, called the rubber roof manufacture and talked to a tech person, the mold is on the surface of the rubber roof, and is due to the blue painted ends of the plywood sheeting used under it for the roof. Got to be some out gassing from the blue paint. that took some clorox and brushing to take care off.
WyoCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy View Post
i got my 2605RL last summer, so this year I decided to do the roof wash, check for any crappy caulk jobs. I too worried it was going to be "cracky" walking on the roof. It seemed ok, I would say I could feel the roof not being firm, but nothing noted inside or outside being different. I weigh 260, I should or hired a kid to scrub and brush it down. But I needed to walk, crawl all over it to seal some screws needing a better caulk job. and seals around "things" on the roof also needed some owner touch-ups. Hard to do from the ladder, heck impossible.
Now I had black mold stripes on the roof, called the rubber roof manufacture and talked to a tech person, the mold is on the surface of the rubber roof, and is due to the blue painted ends of the plywood sheeting used under it for the roof. Got to be some out gassing from the blue paint. that took some clorox and brushing to take care off.
I have those "lines" also and no idea why they are there but decided to leave them alone since hardly anyone sees the roof but ... maybe one day. Thanks for passing on that info.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote