burnt cookies - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #1

Utah
burnt cookies

We own a new 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Light 255BHSL. It has a propane oven, which I suspect is similar to the ovens in many other travel trailers.

My question is this: It appears that cooking in these propane ovens is quite a bit different than cooking in a larger electric oven at home.

The only thing I've tried is baking cookies, which has caused the cookies to burn long before they are cooked, setting off the fire alarm. Somehow the bottom of the cookie sheet/pan is just too hot.

I have made sure the pan is not larger than the oven manufacturer recommends.

Are there any tips or helpful suggestions on how to modify cooking in these RV ovens so I don't burn the forest down? Perhaps some things don't work so well and no more cookies. What about other things like pies, casseroles, etc.?

THANKS!

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
We own a new 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Light 255BHSL. It has a propane oven, which I suspect is similar to the ovens in many other travel trailers.

My question is this: It appears that cooking in these propane ovens is quite a bit different than cooking in a larger electric oven at home.

The only thing I've tried is baking cookies, which has caused the cookies to burn long before they are cooked, setting off the fire alarm. Somehow the bottom of the cookie sheet/pan is just too hot.

I have made sure the pan is not larger than the oven manufacturer recommends.

Are there any tips or helpful suggestions on how to modify cooking in these RV ovens so I don't burn the forest down? Perhaps some things don't work so well and no more cookies. What about other things like pies, casseroles, etc.?

THANKS!

We have yet to use our oven. Except for storage.
I would try more rum in the cookies.

Have fun!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #3

Indiana
I have used my oven on a number of occasions, but not for any baked goods. I have read where others have recommended putting some floor tiles on the metal plate above the oven burner to even out the heat. I believe they said to use uncoated porcelain ones, but I could be mistaken on the type.

A quick search of the forum or on Google should clear it up.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #4

Wyoming
I use my oven all the time (made by Atwood). For cookies, invest in an AirBake cookie sheet. The double-wall design with air in between will keep the burner from directly heating & burning the bottom of your cookies. Also, the rear of the oven is usually hotter than the front... so rotate the pan about ⅔ way thru. If you find items are still cooking the outside too quick, play with the temp and adjust down as necessary. It’ll take a few trial & error experiments to figure out how your oven behaves.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 AM   #5

Utah
Thank you, ATCguy. AirBake does not seem to make a cookie sheet that would fit our oven (made by Suburban). Our oven only allows a cookie sheet up to 10"x14" maximum, to allow for proper heated air flow around the sheet.

Your other suggestions were good. I will try them. I also noticed that I can raise the cookie sheet by one level, so I should try that next time.
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Get a large non glazed ceramic tile to help even out the heat. A baking stone or pizza stone would work too. There are small insulated cookie pans out there, just not under the AirBake brand name.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

Texas
Definitely a pizza stone for ours. Wifey makes muffins, cookies and spaghetti squash no problems burning. It is a trial and error adventure though.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

Florida
I use mine for baking cornbread and it turns out fine. I don't set it directly on top of the location above the burner. I have a wire rack in mine that allows me to not use direct contact above the burner. Do you have a top rack?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #9

South Carolina
I went cheap, and bought one $1 ceramic floor tile, 12x12, from Lowes. First use, BANG! Must have been some moisture inside, it split into 5 pieces like a pizza! But it still works, we just push the pieces together before use. Speaking of pizza, that burn on the bottom is what we try to avoid. Go a few degrees lower, and a few minutes shorter.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:54 AM   #10

Michigan
We use ours for cookies and other stuff all the time. It does take a little time to get up to temp. Instead of using a tile we just put a sheet of aluminum foil over the burner. Not the whole size of the oven though. Works perfect and is virtually free. Doesn’t weigh much either.
Camper144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #11

North Carolina
Bought a tile at Lowes. Knew it would break under heat so we wrapped it several times in heavy duty aluminum foil. All is good and we use the oven all the time. Ya it broke but doesn't matter. Helps to keep adjustable rack as high as food you're cooking permits.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #12

Colorado
You might try stone bakeware... they are thick and hold a nice even temperature. Cookies turn out awesome using stone. There are several different companies that carry a variety of stone baking pans. Here is a link to the Pampered Chef line. This link should open up to a smallish cookie sheet suitable for the typical small size RV ovens. I would stick to baking the cookies on the center rack. Good Luck!!!

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/St...m+Bar+Pan/1449
JJOAKLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #13

Texas
I went to HD big box store and asked about a non glazed ceramic tile. The employee said they were all glazed.
I picked out a pretty one.
Used it to cook can biscuits.
They turn out just fine.
The tile is still in one piece.
Haven't used the tile since.
It is in the rv in case I want to use it again.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #14

Oklahoma
The thermostats are sometimes not accurate. We bought a small thermometer to hang in the oven and adjusted the handle to correct the temp inside.
Technoguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #15

Michigan
I never put the rack on the lowest level (close to the burner). That seems to help but it limits how tall the food you're baking (e.g., you can't do a whole chicken. Since we're in our RV 6 months at a time, we bought a NuWave oven and it's worth it.

jschaus is offline   Reply With Quote