broken slide trim - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Crossville
Posts: 3
Tennessee
broken slide trim

The trim that goes on the bottom of my slide broke off when retracting the slide back in. I have a Coleman 194QB and I havent been able to find the replacement trim. I have tried going through 2 dealers and searching the internet. Has anyone else had this happen? If you did and found the part please let me know. The rain is now causing water damage to the wood underneath the slide.
__________________

highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,861
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post
The trim that goes on the bottom of my slide broke off when retracting the slide back in. I have a Coleman 194QB and I havent been able to find the replacement trim. I have tried going through 2 dealers and searching the internet. Has anyone else had this happen? If you did and found the part please let me know. The rain is now causing water damage to the wood underneath the slide.
We need a photo please.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Crossville
Posts: 3
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
We need a photo please.



highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,861
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post



We can work with that but in the mean while see if you can't get the edges sealed. Tape them off if you have to to keep the water out before you have big problems.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Crossville
Posts: 3
Tennessee
Thank you for your help Sundancer
highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,861
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post
Thank you for your help Sundancer
I've been thinking about the availability of the trim. If it can't be sourced I think I would use some thin Aluminum angle to cap those edges.
I'd remove the metal above it and place the angle under it, caulk it in all around and put the metal back on. On the underside a little caulk maybe and just tape it off with some of the tape used on the underbelly.

That would be better than the plastic for sure. I don't have that slide but almost anything would be better than brittle plastic that you had.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I've been thinking about the availability of the trim. If it can't be sourced I think I would use some thin Aluminum angle to cap those edges.
I second that, any siding or gutter guy could make you a nice aluminum piece for that in 5 minutes. You might even find something like that at the local Lowes or Home Depot. Until then cover it however you can asap, that wood can't take a lot of water.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,861
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I second that, any siding or gutter guy could make you a nice aluminum piece for that in 5 minutes. You might even find something like that at the local Lowes or Home Depot. Until then cover it however you can asap, that wood can't take a lot of water.
That would work but siding parts are mostly preformed to make installation easier and seamless gutters are extruded from coil stock. However, a tin bender could make the angle perfectly.
I had to replace a quarter panel on my 3800 and the sheet metal shop did the bending for me for free but I did buy the material from him.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
That would work but siding parts are mostly preformed to make installation easier and seamless gutters are extruded from coil stock. However, a tin bender could make the angle perfectly.
I had to replace a quarter panel on my 3800 and the sheet metal shop did the bending for me for free but I did buy the material from him.
That's what I meant, my gutter guy carries a brake on his truck.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,861
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
That's what I meant, my gutter guy carries a brake on his truck.
Being from the desert where it only rains once a year I didn't have much experience with extruded gutters. Once I came to OK where it rains all the time I was forced to have gutters on my house. My guy just had the nifty machine, no brake.

But, I worked a job hanging steel siding and we did have a 12 foot brake for doing trim around openings. I tried to forget about that experience.

So, you are correct in your comment, Highland just has to find a working job site to get his trim piece.

He could even get some drip edge from the home improvement stores to get those edges sealed.

Never worked with siding until I left the desert either.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FLA. largo
Posts: 62
Florida
Looks like pinch welting. Comes in a lot of sizes and colors google it then go to images or try an a/c or aluminum fab shop. All our best FLA
__________________

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×