At first she thought I was crazy! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Indiana
At first she thought I was crazy!

On Friday at 5:00 we brought home our 2013 Denali 311Bh and by 7:00 I had already ripped out the under vanity close out plug for more storage under the bathroom sink.

This morning I was trying to figure out where to place the trash can in the kitchen and noticed the cabinet under the sink was TINY! I figured the water pump may be behind the backing board in the cabinet but it should not need that much room so again out comes the screw gun! BAM! The cabinet was about 9 inches deep from the factory and is NOW about 24 inches deep (with a minor obstruction by the pea trap for the sink) that the trash can AND the box of trash bags AND the folding electric griddle all fit inside!

Now on the the under dinette drawers. Trying to find some room to store the central vacuum accessories I went looking at the drawers under the dinette to find they only went about 2/3 the way to the back wall and knowing the rear seat section lifts out to get to that outdoor storage space that is only as wide as the rear seat cushion something was fishy here. So Ipulled off all the cushions and I noticed the OSB seat bottoms were screwed down in smaller sections. Small sections over the drawers and then the rear corners had no screws. So I pulled one corner out to look and "HOT DOG LOOK AT THAT!" Just as I figured both rear corners of the dinette seats are vacant. I pulled out the two OSB corner pieces and drilled a 1 inch finger whole (like the center rear section) in them and now we have two new storage spots under the dinette that the factory was hiding from us.

Now that we have all of the stuff we had in our other trailer put away she thinks I am a genius!

Mike

memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

New York
It is always nice to find "extra" storage.....we purchased our TH the end of September and only used it once for a week before we put it in winter storage.....can't wait to get it home again and start looking!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #3

British Columbia
Ok Mike your a genius.... settled down...your making the rest us guys on this forum look bad ...grab your favorite beverage.....find your TV remote and watch the Super Bowl or in my case I'll watch the Canucks whip the pants off the Calgary Flames and or the Edmonton Oilers DID YOU HEAR THAT COLIN aka Flydutchmen

Mike. By the way your last name is not Holmes as in Mike Holmes of "Holmes on homes" "Doing it Right" HGTV see photo. A contractor that fixes other contractors crappy work...I think it' s only shown in Canada. Enjoy the Super Bowl.i

Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	255  
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #4

New York
Hey Coops.....Holmes on Homes is in USA also, one of my favorites - don't let DH know but he can hang his tool belt in my house anytime he wants!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thumbs up

Makin Right

Coops
Canada
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #6

Florida
LOL! We picked our Denali 286RLX on Friday also. Yesterday my dear husband started poking around as I was complaining of lack of storage. His first stop was the bathroom vanity. In seconds my super hero gave me enough space to put everything that was in our old bathroom into the new. Next he too headed to the kitchen. There is a ton of wasted space under the cabinet that houses the water heater. But because we were spending the weekend away for home he wasn't able to give me access to it but it's coming. We opted for the free standing table to so no extra space there. Gotta love husbands that take care of us girls looking for storage.
2015 Dodge 3500 DW Mega Cab
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #7

Look under your pull-out couch (sofa, divan, whatever you call it in your part of the world). Our Kodiak has LOTS of space that is available when the couch is folded or unfolded. That is where our stick vac goes along with lots of extra supplies and is easily accessible.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #8

Florida
Great idea about the sofa storage. I knew it was there but hadn't thought of using it for the vacuum hoses.
2015 Dodge 3500 DW Mega Cab
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #9

Saskatchewan
Holmes On Homes is one of my favorite shows! That and Red Green!
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #10

Alabama
After getting my Komfort home, I started my modifications. The first was to make a bracket and extend the low level water line drains out to the side of the rig. No more crawling underneath for that chore.

Then on to the wardrobe slide where the dual wardrobes were. We rarely have enough hanging clothes to utilize both wardrobes. I removed the hanging rod and installed adjustable shelving tracks in all 4 corners. I made shelving from 1 by 12 boards a router to tongue and groove the edges. Three shelves 18 by 30 and now I have a huge linen closet.

The next step was to shorten all the blinds in the living dining area. All the blinds were obviously bought for width and length didn't matter. Once done, I shortened all the pull cords. I ended up with a stack of blind slats 18 inches high of various widths.

The rig came with dual AC units, but the bedroom didn't really cool down like the rest of rig. The air was ducted into the bedroom through slits in the trim near the roof line. Investigating I found that only one set of slits had air coming through. I went into the bathroom and found the AC duct ended against the back of the trimwork in the bedroom. I took a drill and drilled through backing board. I now have adequate air coming through both sets of trim slits.

I also installed a Fantastic fan vent with remote in the bedroom skylight to use on milder days when AC is not called for.

The next project is to redo the cable and antenna system to make it more versitile.

Whew---
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #11

British Columbia
Whew is right...I think my next project is reading your project of redoing of the cable and antenna system......good for you for having all that energy and or good weather and or a shop that you can work inside
I have never heard of the town of Elberta Alabama....where are U located to the nearest large city...I have no idea what the closest large city your close to.

In Canada we have a Province called Alberta.....but I don't think they have a town called Elberta Alberta....FlyingDutchmen in your travels any towns in Alberta names Elberta Alberta? You guys are famous for towns and cities in Alberta with uniques names like Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Banff,Jasper,Rocky Mt. House, Spruce Grove,one of my all time favorites Rainbow Lake....or Fort McMurray....or Wetaskawin sp.....i

Coops
Canada
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #12

Alabama
Elberta, AL is Southeast of Mobile by 40 miles. West of Pensacola, FL by 20 miles. North of Gulf Shores AL by 12 miles.

Never heard of Elberta Alberta, but have had people think I said Alberta when asked where I live.

We often get a lot of visitors from Canada down here for the winter. Some RV'rs
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

British Columbia
Oldonetwo....thanks for reply...I wish we had your weather.....you were hit by any storms this season were you??
Canada
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #14

Alabama
It's 66 and overcast right now, had a gentle rain last night. Going to the low 70's the rest of the week. We haven't had a any "Tropical Occurances" (tourist bureau name for hurricanes) in a number of years. Mobile did have a tornado Christmas eve. The weather patterns here are kinda forgiving in as much as if the low comes in from the west, the storms go Northwest of us. When they come in from the Gulf we an get some heavy stuff. All in all a great place to live. I moved here 8 years ago from Nashville TN where I lived for 37 years.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

British Columbia
"Tropical Occurances" is to tornado as is "Natural Occurance" is to act of god...and I said Natural Occurance quite a bit in a previous life.

Slushy,sunny plus 4c( snowed this AM but melted)...hurry up spring.
Canada
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #16

Alabama
Spring is on it's way. we have starter plants growing ready to plant the end of the month.
Livin the Life
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
Spring is on it's way. we have starter plants growing ready to plant the end of the month.
I wanna cry....we have lake effect snows today....dropped another 4 "s, weather man was calling for about 1".....

just want spring to come so we can get the TH out of storage!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #18

British Columbia
Nana...since your getting more snow than us..( hard to believe ) here is the recipe i think it is called sweet cream??Volvosweetie aka Pam uses fresh snow....( try it you'll like like) never tried it as all I have is yellow snow.............we have a dog

It is when you go out side after the snow has fallen. Find a clean spot where nothing has been fill a huge bowl with the snow. Then you add 1 can of sweetened condense milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring. Then you mix it togther till you get it looking like vanilla ice cream then eat YUM

Coops
Canada
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #19

New York
Coops - sounds interesting......may have to give it a try.
Leo was going hard water fishing this weekend with some of the guys from the fire department but they just changed the forcast - we are looking at 18+ inches from Friday thru Saturday morning.....I don't think they will be able to fish in that kind of weather!!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #20

British Columbia
Guys will go fishing in any type of weather with or without fishing rods......just ask me.

Take care

Canada