Aspen trail 3010bhds - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
Aspen trail 3010bhds

Hi everyone I am new to this site but not new to camping. We recently bought a new 2015 Aspen Trail 3010 bhds. So far we have had good luck with the new unit, but we decided to extend our weekend trip to a whole week. This is our third trip this year and finally getting to use our a/c. I was wandering if anyone has had any issues with their a/c in these campers? A/C seems to not be cooling camper to our liking. Last couple days its been in the low 80's and a little humid A/C runs all the time and struggles to keep inside temp at 73. Sometimes it cycles on and off, on and off. I have talked to a few people here at campground they say nothing wrong with it, but or 2013 Gulf stream never acted this way and would keep camper at 65 during a 95 degree day. Just looking for any thoughts before we take this thing back to dealer

trevor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Montana
Cycling on and off sounds normal if the unit is keeping the interior at the thermostat setpoint temperature. Check to see if one of your ducted vents is pointed directly at the thermostat. That would bias the thermostat to the cool side and it would think it's doing a better job at cooling the interior than it really is.

Is there good flow coming out of the ducted vents? I've read many stories about poor ventilation due to obstructions in the duct work. Maybe your cool air isn't being efficiently moved throughout the interior space.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
I checked no vents close to thermostat or blowing towards it. I did notice it does not seem to be much air coming from vents, the air that is coming out is cold but just not very powerful. Seems to work better with direct vent under unit open but when that is open front and rear rooms are not cool. I never really thought of ducts being clog or something. like i say camper is only 2 months old. I'll have to check ducts. Thanks for the reply
Old 06-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #4

Montana
The threads I've read are about shoddy construction and installation resulting in obstructed or poorly sealed duct work. I think owners choose to redo it themselves with satisfactory results. It isn't something I've ever tackled, though.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:57 AM   #5

Nevada
Here is the thread that is about reworking duct work for A/C units
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ng-704-17.html

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #6

North Carolina
Wonder if your filter is dirty? Let us know if you had to rework ducts, etc.
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Filter is clean. I did find that the aluminum tape that is supposed to seal ceiling vent holes to the duct work was sticking up into the duct kind of blocking the air flow. I fix the tape, took off the deflectors in front bedroom and both in kitchen area, closed deflector in bathroom and left deflector in bunk room open all the way. This seems to have made a big difference. I have since also found out our old 27ft with no slides used same size a/c as this 33ft with 2 large slides so this camper will never stay as cool as our old one. They should have installed 2 a/c units on this size camper
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #8

Texas
I have a 2014 2810bhds and my neighbor at camp has a 2013 2810bhds. In my AC unit I have water and ice coming out of the unit and dropping on the floor. My neighbors did not cool enough. He hired an AC guy to check his and found that their was not enough freon in his unit. They are very specific in the amount needed and of course closed systems. They had to drill out the copper tubing, drain the freon, recharge it and close the hole they made. This is in my todo list.
aqua vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua vita View Post
I have a 2014 2810bhds and my neighbor at camp has a 2013 2810bhds. In my AC unit I have water and ice coming out of the unit and dropping on the floor. My neighbors did not cool enough. He hired an AC guy to check his and found that their was not enough freon in his unit. They are very specific in the amount needed and of course closed systems. They had to drill out the copper tubing, drain the freon, recharge it and close the hole they made. This is in my todo list.
How much humidity is in the air?

If it's humid you will get condensation. The only way that I know of to stop the condensation is to evacuate the humid air.

I have a humdistat beside the t-stat, as the humidity rises I turn up the speed on the bathroom fan and the condensation stops.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #10

Texas
Lots of humidity. Both units in south Texas.
aqua vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua vita View Post
Lots of humidity. Both units in south Texas.
Try leaving your bathroom door open some and run the fan on high.

I should have said "I have a Hygrometer by the T-stat". I have the humidistats in my house.

I set the Humidistat based on the outside temps. 21F and over it's set to 40%, as the temperature goes down the humidistat is adjusted down until until you get to -21 at 15%.

By controllong the humidity you are better able to keep temperatures a comfortable level. You A/C while cool better and your furnace will heat better. You won't have to worry about mold and mildew and you won't be continually mopping up the condensation. Especially true in the cooler temps.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

Idaho
Sometimes in hotel window units there is cautions to not set too low of a temp. Lower temps cause the units to freeze up and quit working. Until they are shut off and it warms up and thaws the ice they wont work. I'm not sure what temp you would be setting yours on, but this is a possibility of why it would ice up.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #13

Florida
Our 30 foot Denali in 90 degree weather would cool down in maybe 15 minutes so something is not right.

Make sure the vents on the main units are closed to force the air out of the other vents. I have found the trailer will cool much quicker this way.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

Florida
We have had ours since July 2015, and used it in the middle of a Florida summer. We purchased ours with an additional unit in the back. Even with the two units it takes some time to cool down. If you keep blinds closed during the day it will keep it cool enough to be comfortable with both running.

fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote