Any issues 2012 2810bhs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #1

Idaho
Any issues 2012 2810bhs

Just purchased a used aspen trail 2810bhs. Had been used 5 times and appears brand new, just wanting to know if there is any issues people have been having. It appears to be a great trailer

Donnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:09 AM   #2

Idaho
During the summer when it is hot you will notice that the vinyl floor will 'bubble' or appear to be coming up near the front door. It will be especially noticeable when the floor gets in the direct sun. When it cools it will shrink back down. I was told they all do it because of the dark color of the floor.

Also, you will notice that the shower walls will come loose from the wall behind them. Substandard adhesive is used between the 2 panels. I installed horizontal strips of UHMW plastic cut to the same width as the "tiles" on the shower walls and screwed them to the studs in the wall. Problem fixed. I used plastic because Teak wood was about three times the price...

Check the dinnete table when it is made down into a bed. The table top likes to fall through the benches and dump you on the floor when sleeping there. Re attachment of the seats to the floor and better tabletop supports will fix it.

On the top bunk, I cut the foot of the bed at a straight angle and got rid of the 'point'. It is much easier to get in and out of using the bottom bunk as a step now.

Hope this helps! You will love it!!!

BackwoodsLegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #3

Idaho
Thank you for the info! Good stuff back woods legit
Donnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #4

Idaho
There are some cheap and easy upgrades you can do yourself as well. I see you are from Ammon, so I assume you are good with tools as are most Idahoan's!

I went to Lowe's and purchased some 24" wide x 1/2 thick boards and cut them to fit over the exsisting shelves in the pantry and the master bedroom closets. The factory shelves are super weak particularly in the pantry. Ours were bowing and looking like they would fall through once we loaded the pantry with food. Grab some battery operated 'button' lights while you are there and install those on the bottom side of the shelves for light in the pantry and closets.

Also, I ordered a 16 foot roll of LED strip lights from Amazon. I cut a 13 foot section and stuck it to the top of the slide just behind the trim. I wired an additional switch in the light that is over the couch to control the LED strip. It puts off a white inderect light that we use more than the standard lights. Less draw, less heat, and less strain on your eyes when watching TV at night. I took the leftover 3 foot length and did the same thing on the top of the shelf over the master bed.

I also installed a ball valve on the fresh water tank drain. I lost the 3/4 inch hex plug one time and didn't want that to happen again! Super easy fix that cost less than $5...
Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Backwoods... which ball valve did you get? I have not one by 3 of those stupid caps on my unit. Interestingly enough my fresh water tank drain came with a valve on it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #6

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Backwoods... which ball valve did you get? I have not one by 3 of those stupid caps on my unit. Interestingly enough my fresh water tank drain came with a valve on it.

Aaron
Aaron,

The one I got is similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Homewerks-VBV-...e+pvc+threaded

You'll need a 3/4 inch by 1 inch nipple as well to thread it into your plug used to be.

Sorry, I'm not where the trailer is or I'd send a pic...
Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 AM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsLegit View Post
Aaron,

The one I got is similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Homewerks-VBV-...e+pvc+threaded

You'll need a 3/4 inch by 1 inch nipple as well to thread it into your plug used to be.

Sorry, I'm not where the trailer is or I'd send a pic...
I used the same ball valve only it is 1/2"

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #8

Idaho
Dang, you may be right! I think it is 1/2 inch! My apologies if I gave incorrect info... better check before you buy parts!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
2 of the 3 caps are probably for the hot and cold plumbing low point drains. But if your fresh water tank came with a valve and isn't the other capped drain, I have no idea what it is.

A ball valve makes sense, if I loose a cap for the tank drain I'll follow suit!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
2 of the 3 caps are probably for the hot and cold plumbing low point drains. But if your fresh water tank came with a valve and isn't the other capped drain, I have no idea what it is.

A ball valve makes sense, if I loose a cap for the tank drain I'll follow suit!
DamnifIknow... but I gots one valve (definitely for the fresh water tank) and 3 additional lines with caps. One has to be hot because it are red, the other two are white. My bathroom is in the rear and that is where the Red and one white line are, the other is up near the galley area. doesn't really matter. I am lazy and caps have a tendency to get lost.

Aaron
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #11

Idaho
I wonder if the 3rd one is a lowpoint for the pump? Kinda seems redundant, but you never know what happens when they build these things!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsLegit View Post
I wonder if the 3rd one is a lowpoint for the pump? Kinda seems redundant, but you never know what happens when they build these things!
Not the pump, it is in the front right next to the fresh water tank. One of these days when I am done fixing the other stuff I may try and do a plumping diagram. Right now I am fixing the dinette the blind carpenters built. I am also in the process of creating a wiring diagram of the 12v system. So far I have found two lights that were wired backwards.

Aaron

Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #13

Idaho
Not a bad idea to make a wiring diagram. I have only checked a couple of my lights while wiring in LED strips, but I did have the stereo out while wiring in a sound bar and noticed that the inside speakers were wired backwards. Some people just have no pride in workmanship.