Another Akuret tire question.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Arizona
Another Akuret tire question....

I have seen the other threads on these tires and being an engineer I probably think too much... I'm looking for logical opinions....

I have a 2013 Denali 246RK dry weight 6300# loaded maybe 7000# total.
I have these Akuret tires 225/75-15 load range D 2540# per tire. If I take off maybe 800# of tongue weight I would be at 6300# on the tires or about 1575# ea. or 62% of max load.

All you guys that have had issues have you been close to max and had failures or were you in a safe zone? I would hate to just junk these tires because of reading the threads then find I wasted $$ only to get some other China manufactured tires and now I'm back to where I started..
On a previous TT I have had Marathons fail but they were C rated and very close to max.

Thank you... Pete

pbergmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #2

Utah
Pete
I can only give you my experience with any china or us made ST tire. I have a 2012 Denali 289RK with Akuret load range D tires. I have had no problems and the tires probably have 4000 miles on them. Every tire failure I have had in 50 years of RVing has been my fault. both US made tires and china made tires. Most people who have had tire problems, if they will tell the truth. Were doing one of the following.
1. Driving to fast (over 65 MPH ) on ST tires which are rated for a max speed of 65 MPH.

2. Driving on tires that were underinflated 10 PSI lower than recommended will ruin or weaken a tire in a few miles.

3. Driving with the tires overloaded for the tire rating.

4. Age of tires. Unless protected from the elements when trailer is not in use they should be changed every 4 or 5 years.

any one of the above or combination will cause tire failure and problems. A TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) can be good insurance against problems. Most people that I know never check the weight of their trailer or the tire pressure. The dealers don't either. I drove a brand new trailer off of a dealers lot after they were supposed to inspected and checked it. I got it home a few miles from the dealers and when I checked the tire pressure I found 1 tire 15 lbs low and the other 3 20 lbs low. lucky I was lightly loaded and did not drive very far or The tires would have been ruined or badly weakened.
Mel

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 AM   #3

Texas
I have had 5 blowouts, while it would be easy to blame them on the Chinese tires, I can attribute each to items on mhbell's list...

two from item #1 Driving the 75 MPH speed limit

one from item #2 Under inflation (screw in the tread)

except you need to add...

two from #5. Mis aliened axel, which was diagnosed when I found the replacement tire worn to the belts on the inside edge.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergmann View Post
I have seen the other threads on these tires and being an engineer I probably think too much... I'm looking for logical opinions....

I have a 2013 Denali 246RK dry weight 6300# loaded maybe 7000# total.
I have these Akuret tires 225/75-15 load range D 2540# per tire. If I take off maybe 800# of tongue weight I would be at 6300# on the tires or about 1575# ea. or 62% of max load.

All you guys that have had issues have you been close to max and had failures or were you in a safe zone? I would hate to just junk these tires because of reading the threads then find I wasted $$ only to get some other China manufactured tires and now I'm back to where I started..
On a previous TT I have had Marathons fail but they were C rated and very close to max.

Thank you... Pete
Where your Marathons US or Chinese made?

I had a tire guy at a Costco in MT demonstrate a simple test to me. Pick a tire, any tire, that you are thinking of putting on your rig. Now put your fingers over the bead and your thumbs on the sidewalls and push.

Being as your an engineer, what sort of sidewall defection would you say would provide the best service.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Arizona
Thank you all for your reply's.
One question was on the source of the Marathons... They were China origin but this was 8 years ago. Goodyear is not stupid, and they may have had problems initially from a foreign source, but would not continue to risk liability going forward.

I think I will run them another season. Keep pressure up and speed below 65.
Going forward, I think I'll go with Goodyear just because they have warantee locations throughout the US.

I would just hate to jump from the pan into the fire...

Pete
pbergmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

California
My 2003 Teton came with Goodyear G614 load range G ,110 psi, & 3750 lbs rated. Living in California we have a 55mph speed limit for towing. I tow around 60-62 mph. I have a compressor & checked my air pressure before every trip. GVWR of Teton is 14,995. Has 7,000 lbs axles (2) weight on those 12,000 so not over weight. Lost the first one in 04 just spit the tread off. Goodyear warrantied no problem. In 05 lost two more these blew with nothing left of the tire to take to Goodyear to warranty. In 06 lost 2 more with in 10 miles of each other on a 117 degree day 90 miles out of Las Vegas. Over the following years I lost 4 or 5 more (lost track). American tires, LT tires, China tires none were ST. Last one that happened in South Dakota in 2010 did $5,000 + damage to the trailer. Insurance covered & I figured I needed to try something else. I bit the bullet & ordered 17.5" new rims & tires. Have (2) new Hankooks & (2) used Michelins. Problem solved.
Last weekend I moved those to my V3605 & the 16" to the Teton. Teton will be sold or daughter might move to Phoenix & live it. So isn't being used like in the past.
Yes the Hankooks are Made in China but we have been using them here at work on all our vehicles & trailer with NO problems. 16" 17" & 22.5"
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Pete
I can only give you my experience with any china or us made ST tire. I have a 2012 Denali 289RK with Akuret load range D tires. I have had no problems and the tires probably have 4000 miles on them. Every tire failure I have had in 50 years of RVing has been my fault. both US made tires and china made tires. Most people who have had tire problems, if they will tell the truth. Were doing one of the following.
1. Driving to fast (over 65 MPH ) on ST tires which are rated for a max speed of 65 MPH.

2. Driving on tires that were underinflated 10 PSI lower than recommended will ruin or weaken a tire in a few miles.

4. Age of tires. Unless protected from the elements when trailer is not in use they should be changed every 4 or 5 years.

any one of the above or combination will cause tire failure and problems. A TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) can be good insurance against problems. Most people that I know never check the weight of their trailer or the tire pressure. The dealers don't either. I drove a brand new trailer off of a dealers lot after they were supposed to inspected and checked it. I got it home a few miles from the dealers and when I checked the tire pressure I found 1 tire 15 lbs low and the other 3 20 lbs low. lucky I was lightly loaded and did not drive very far or The tires would have been ruined or badly weakened.
Mel
Another consideration is how long you drive between stops. In younger years extened fuel capacity would allow me to run anywhere from 8 to 10 hours at a time pulling flatbeds and horse trailers at high speeds and all temps with varying brands of LT tires and never had any problem. Spoke with several hotshotters and RV transporters and decided to mitigate my
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Pete

Mel
Another consideration is how long you drive between stops. In younger years extened fuel capacity would allow me to run anywhere from 8 to 10 hours at a time pulling flatbeds and horse trailers with varying brands of LT tires and never have any problem. Spoke with several hotshotters and RV transporters and decided to mitigate my ST tire issues with more frequent stops, reduced speeds and good tire maintenance.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #8

I as a previous Akuret tire owner had in the neighborhood of 5k on my tires. New from the factory installed from the factory. I thought the same until I was headed home from Virginia to Florida in a light rain. I had just stopped and I check all my tires at each stop. All were good. I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw one of my tires shredding all over the highway then it blew taking out part of the fender. I later discovered when I removed the tires I had another tire with a large bubble on the inside indicating another potential imminent blowout.

At no time was I speeding, I was traveling at my usual 60mph. My tires were never low on air. My camper was not overloaded and in the range of 15 hundred pounds from max. Since it was raining heat was not a factor.

Akuret are typical junk Chinese tires that I would not recommend to anyone and unless you want damage to your camper get rid of them as soon as possible. This forum and other forums are covered with stories of faulty Chinese tires and related blowouts.

Its your camper and unfortunately all the manufacturers use Chinese tires. Maxxis are not Chinese and seem to have a good track record. Even Goodyear are now Chinese made.. We have not much to choose from but as mentioned the G rated Goodyear puts your tires in a much safer class if you can afford them.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Arizona
My 6 Michelin Ribs LT's don't care how fast or slow I drive. They don't care if they are under-inflated. There's no way they're ever going to be overloaded. I've never had a Michelin LT tire issue with either of my trailers.

My boat trailer, running Marathons, has suffered two separate blow-outs causing damage to the trailer. Those tires never went over 65 mph, never had less than the recommended 50 psi and the boat is always stored in a garage. They just blew.

Why bother with temperamental Chinese tires that need constant pampering to keep from blowing up? I've seen trailers show up at the dealer with blown tires and damage just coming to AZ from the factory. No one could ever sell me on a Chinese made tire.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote