Adding a hitch receiver to a Coleman Light TL rear bumper - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Florida
Adding a hitch receiver to a Coleman Light TL rear bumper

Would it be possible to safely add a hitch mounted storage carrier (like in the link) to the rear bumper of a Coleman Light Lx 1705RB?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQZ0GSO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bD.CCb08C7EPQ

Jimmygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmygator View Post
Would it be possible to safely add a hitch mounted storage carrier (like in the link) to the rear bumper of a Coleman Light Lx 1705RB?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQZ0GSO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bD.CCb08C7EPQ
the rear bumpers are not attached the best in the world. your link doesn't work but I would look at something made by mount-n-lock and get the safety struts in order to keep the bumper attached and reinforced. You can even change the rear bumper to something more robust. I have the Mount-N-Lock rear bumper storage unit (aluminum) and I mounted a locking storage box for storage of hoses and the like.

https://mount-n-lock.com/

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks, I've seen these on other TTs. I suspect I'd stay under 200# of weight on the bumper. These kits look very substantial.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmygator View Post
Thanks, I've seen these on other TTs. I suspect I'd stay under 200# of weight on the bumper. These kits look very substantial.
as long as your bumper doesn't fall off. In reality they are substantial enough to give me peace of mind that the stuff will still be there when I get to my destination (unlike the cover over my spare tire).
Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #5

Florida
Below is how its built. There is a 4" x 2" tube welded to the I-Beam and the tube is welded to the 4"x4" bumper.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #6

Illinois
Well, honestly, those welds are not strong enough to hold up to the torsional effects the storage unit will place on the bumper. To make it so requires at least a 1" angle welded to the bumper and tubes and horizontal welds where the tube is attached to the frame. If you noticed, you can see the backside of the weld in the I beam. They are not very thick and those vertical welds can shear if enough torque is applied.

At least the bumper is done better on yours than on the 274BH I have. It is welded directly to the I beam and not very well either. Spare tire is all I would ever put on it.

If it were mine, I would weld the 1" angle iron to the inside corners 1" from the top and bottom and weld all edges, this would increase the strength of the junction, and then I would at the very least run a weld along the bottom of the frame to tube part. Then I would have no concerns about what is in the bumper.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Well, honestly, those welds are not strong enough to hold up to the torsional effects the storage unit will place on the bumper. To make it so requires at least a 1" angle welded to the bumper and tubes and horizontal welds where the tube is attached to the frame. If you noticed, you can see the backside of the weld in the I beam. They are not very thick and those vertical welds can shear if enough torque is applied.

At least the bumper is done better on yours than on the 274BH I have. It is welded directly to the I beam and not very well either. Spare tire is all I would ever put on it.

If it were mine, I would weld the 1" angle iron to the inside corners 1" from the top and bottom and weld all edges, this would increase the strength of the junction, and then I would at the very least run a weld along the bottom of the frame to tube part. Then I would have no concerns about what is in the bumper.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Tennessee
It's too cold to go outside right now but I think that's how mine is attached. I had the spare tire and a bike rack(2 bikes) on it with no problems yet, I removed the spare just to be safe and the welds are checked before every trip. Your link to the carrier doesn't work, but I would recommend reinforcing it. They sell a kit on Amazon if you can't get to a welding shop.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-.../dp/B071WK9CD3
Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #9

Illinois
Those work well to secure the bumper to frame, but doesn't address the weak welds on the frame. Alternately, if going the route with these, instead of welding, a few holes drilled through the frame and box with some 1/2" grade 8 bolts will also secure it well.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Those work well to secure the bumper to frame, but doesn't address the weak welds on the frame. Alternately, if going the route with these, instead of welding, a few holes drilled through the frame and box with some 1/2" grade 8 bolts will also secure it well.
This was my initial thought, reinforce the channel tube with grade 8 bolts, two per I-Beam in addition to the added Mount-n-Lock Safety Struts.