AC duct work Not working well - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #1

Texas
AC duct work Not working well

We have a Aspen Trail Camper 2890 BHS. The AC unit is located in the living area of the camper. Duct work runs to the bathroom, bunkhouse, two in the living area and 1 in the front bedroom. We mainly let the AC unit vent into the mail living area, but we do have the option to close the main flow vent and force air through the duct work. I find that little air is passed and eventual the AC unit gets too cold and shuts down.

Any suggestion for making sure the ducts are clear and getting the best flow they can? Could small 12v fans be placed in the vents to help force a better air flow?? You can feel cool air coming out but the volume is pretty low.

As always Thanks All...

Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Texas
Best thing to do is take off all the vent covers and clean them out, vaccum and seal up with aluminum foil duct tape. Then remove the AC unit panel or lift top unit and clean up the wiring, bag in Ziploc to get better flow. Search forum for a ton of suggestions for cleaning and sealing duct work.

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

Texas
Camper is only a year old so I doubt that dusty or "clogged" but I was wonder if the duct work could have gotten crushed or squashed while putting the top on? Not really sure how the top is built. Guessing the wiring, duct work, foam/insulation then the top is the last to go on.

Guess I was looking for something that could increase the air flow, but since its not really a "central" system the adhoc method is as best its going to get.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Texas
Still, all the above. They FAIL during the cuts to roof and ceiling and leave all the sawdust and debris and then it ends up in the ducts. Trust me, ask me how I know? I spent several days cleaning all of mine out including parts of roof and ceiling. Major improvement in air flow throughout.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

Illinois
CSCLARK is spot on. Most of us have done it. Duct work separated, wood chunks, debris etc. up there.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
RDJ

Washington
Question, do you ever get any reasonable amount of air through the duct work at start up, the above suggestions are good could be another issue as well like the condenser is freezing up and blocking air flow
Old 08-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
RDJ

Washington
Question, do you ever get any reasonable amount of air through the duct work at start up, the above suggestions are good could be another issue as well like the condenser is freezing up and blocking air flow through the a/c unit
Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Arizona
our bedroom vent had the AC wiring running through and a big part of the duct missing and my wall was cold behind TV to the fuse panel.. Every light fixture was cold and the removing the vent plastic inside, you could feel air, there was a big post about this a couple years ago. can spend hours putting foam in places or spraying expanding foam in,,, I bought a 10 dollar 8mm camera from amazon looked around with my laptop in the vents. the Manufacture didnt really care too much looking through there, how they did it, really poor work.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
We have a Aspen Trail Camper 2890 BHS. The AC unit is located in the living area of the camper. Duct work runs to the bathroom, bunkhouse, two in the living area and 1 in the front bedroom. We mainly let the AC unit vent into the mail living area, but we do have the option to close the main flow vent and force air through the duct work. I find that little air is passed and eventual the AC unit gets too cold and shuts down.

Any suggestion for making sure the ducts are clear and getting the best flow they can? Could small 12v fans be placed in the vents to help force a better air flow?? You can feel cool air coming out but the volume is pretty low.

As always Thanks All...

Not knowing how RVs are constructed does hinder a proper plan.
Our 2018 243 BHSL acts exactly the same.
So my question is how much space is there in the "attic". Are the ducts a flat piece to be able to fit?

I dont mind ripping into anything, but need a bit of knowledge. I am assuming maybe Texan is in same boat.

This Forum is amazing! Tons of info! The problem is:
Do a search for "duct" or AC and its like GOOGLE haha

Here is my understanding after reading tons of posts.

The fine artisans at Dutchman are too busy to complete the duct work properly at the VENT END and the AC unit end. So what we end up with is loose connections or no connections and we are losing air. Probably lots of air.

At the vent end I have a round disc. No screws or method fastening visible. Do you just yank and VOILA it becomes apparent??

On the AC end are the ducts visible and available to fix from underneath the unit? No reason to get on top.

I can DUCTTAPE the heck out of something if I can get to it.

Thanks
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:04 AM   #10

Texas
Yep ArmyVet we are on the same page. I just got a $12 endoscope from amazon so I can see if there are any obstructions. I do get air flow it just not very strong. The from bedroom is about 12' away from the main unit.
Will check for blockages but my gut tells me its a poor design.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #11

Arizona
I was surprised the rubber tape in the main unit failed to separate the in from the out. Also was surprised to see the frame work into the duct being so small, but those little camera's are great, son found a safe in his 1950's house and we drilled into it not wanting to spend money and put his 6mm camera down inside, to find a business card.. Good luck..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
Yep ArmyVet we are on the same page. I just got a $12 endoscope from amazon so I can see if there are any obstructions. I do get air flow it just not very strong. The from bedroom is about 12' away from the main unit.
Will check for blockages but my gut tells me its a poor design.

I forgot I have one of those laying around here somewhere. Great idea!

Thanks, good luck. Will advise.

Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote