287re - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Nebraska
Question 287re

Couple of questions regarding gray and black water tanks. First, on our "maiden" voyage over Easter weekend our shower backed up...supposedly we have two gray water tanks..evidently there is no crossover or overflow line between the two tanks since only one showed full on the gauges??? Secondly can we not empty our gray water without emptying the black water? I am a little crippled up and cannot crawl underneath the unit. Also is there an inlet to flush the blackwater while the dump valve is open? Thanks for any help....

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

British Columbia
There is nothing stopping you from emptying the grey water when it's full and the balck isn't. You normally dump the black first when your dumping both black and grey, so any solids in the pipes are flushed with the grey. Even with our water conversation methods there are times when the grey tank has to get dumped while the black tank is less than half full.

We use much of the grey water that we produce (dishwater and bathroom sink water) as water to flush the toilet, also if the black tank is low and the grey is getting close the only grey water we don't dump down the toilet is the shower water.

If your have the black tank flush inlet it should be close to your city water connection.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Couple of questions regarding gray and black water tanks. First, on our "maiden" voyage over Easter weekend our shower backed up...supposedly we have two gray water tanks..evidently there is no crossover or overflow line between the two tanks since only one showed full on the gauges??? Secondly can we not empty our gray water without emptying the black water? I am a little crippled up and cannot crawl underneath the unit. Also is there an inlet to flush the blackwater while the dump valve is open? Thanks for any help....
You "should" be able to dump the grey water without dumping the black. They are supposed to have separate valves. Typically there is not a crossover between grey tanks. You can install one, maybe. What I do to figure out what is what is: empty all the tanks, then run water into a sink, shower or whatever until it registers on the indicator, then I know what is plumbed to which tank. This is assuming you cannot track the plumbing to the tanks. On more than one occasion I have seen where a bathroom sink was plumbed to the black tank.

You may or may not have a black tank flush. Some units have them some don't, if you do, you most definitely want to keep the black tank valve open while using it. If you have one there should be a hose hook-up labeled for it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Washington
Most people I talk with agree that the black water flush, if you have it, does little more than allow you to put fresh water into the black tank. My buddy who has been my RV guru says he gets better results flushing the black tank by dumping a large bucket of water down the toilet. He also recommends setting out on each trip after putting about 5 gallons of water into the black tank so it can slosh around and clean while heading to your destination. He also puts the deodorizing chemical in at that time. We are still new to all this but will try it out on our maiden voyage Monday!
Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Florida
Been camping in TT's for nearly 30 years and have always used the old school method.
When the black is near full, close the grey valves to fill the GWT. The next day pull the BWV and a few minutes later pull the GWV. After the GWT empties, close the BWV.

We have the BW rinse on the new camper but I'll never use it.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
I use the Geo method for keeping my tanks clean and working. Been using it for years and it works great. My general protocol is:
  • Before leaving on a trip, dump a 5 gallon bucket of hot water with softener, detergeant and bleach down the toilet.
  • Down the sink and shower every 2-3 trips
  • Wait until at least 2/3 full on the idiot panel
  • Dump black
  • Close valve and run black tank rinse with a close eye on the gauge
  • Dump, rinse and repeat until the water runs clear
  • Dump gray water tank(s) rinse if possible

By doing this I have never had a problem with smelly tanks or stuff stuck in the tanks. The black tank requires a fair bit of rinsing to get the "stuff" out of the bottom of it. The geo method helps keep the sides of the tanks slick and the sensors clean. Some people add various digesters, deodorizers an such to the tanks, I have never seen the need. These are holding tanks not septic systems.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #7

Nebraska
thanks

thanks all for your responses....be a few days before I can check it all out....

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, gray tank