274BH Bunk ladder? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Illinois
274BH Bunk ladder?

We had our first excursion this weekend in our new to us Coleman. My 11 YO daughter sleeps in the top bunk, and she can't pull herself up into it without struggle, and she might step on my mom in the lower bunk getting out. Those who know this trailer will know that anything by the bunks will block the bathroom door, so I am trying to find something that can be out of the way, yet functional. I saw another thread that steps were attached to the side of the bunk, but I don't know if that will work for mine since its the edge of the bathroom wall, and no idea what is behind it.

I would like to have a folding ladder, one where the side rail rises up and out of the way, but haven't found one like that.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

British Columbia
How about one of those telescoping ladders. They are light and collapse down to a nice compact size for storage.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
How about one of those telescoping ladders. They are light and collapse down to a nice compact size for storage.

That might work, if I knew what to look for. Sometimes Google is the worst for searching things, everything EXCEPT what you are looking for!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #4

Illinois
Wow, I need a 56" ladder, and all I see are 60" and taller. Even 56 puts it out quite a bit towards the refer. Still looking.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
Try here, there are many different sizes and versions. https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...oping%20ladder

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Montana
We have the same floorplan in our Aspen Trail 2710BH and the kids cannot yet haul themselves into the top bunk unaided. Any type of latter would interfere with the bathroom door. After brainstorming for a long time about a ladder solution, I went with something much simpler and installed a single indoor rock climbing handhold on the edge of the wall between the bunks and the dinette. It is at a height about halfway between the bottom and top bunks. I don't have a photo, but see where the red circle is on the attached picture. This single handhold is used as a foothold, the boys grab the edge of the top bunk with both hands for a hand hold while standing on the edge of the lower bunk, then they put their left foot on top of the rock climbing foothold to use as a step, then they can use their left leg and arms to easily pull themselves up into the top bunk. Getting down is the same process in reverse. The small rock climbing handhold doesn't get in the way of anything.

Here is a link to the rock climbing hand/foot hold I purchased. I just needed one so I picked the one with the largest surface for use as a step.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CamperFloorPlan.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	3397  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #7

Texas
Brilliant!

RV'ers are an unlimited source of can-do. So cool.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Illinois
Thanks all, I did find something that will work. 2 1/3 Oak boards and a length of 1 1/4" hardwood dowel. Just going to make one that fits and is light enough that she can pull it up next to her at night. If I make it narrow enough to not interfere with the lower bunk I can add a second set of hooks to have it flat against the bunk so the door can be opened.