2013 Denali 311BH Tow vehicle - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

New Brunswick
2013 Denali 311BH Tow vehicle

We are seriously considering a 2013 Denali 311BH. We currently have a 2012 Ram Sport, Hemi, with airbags. If we use sway bars, should we be good to haul. We have not hauled with this truck yet, but I am assuming we will be OK. Looking for some input regarding the truck and the Denali as well. Seems like a well built trailer. Thanks

Rwaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

British Columbia
Have you got the power back on yet?

You are going to need some numbers before you can even begin the conversation.

What is the weight of the trailer, what is the load and towing capacities of your Ram. You will find the numbers for your truck on the door data plate and if you go to the Dutchmen web site and find the weight of the trailer and it's maximum weight rating.

Once you have those numbers you can begin the calculations.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #3

New Brunswick
I realized I didn't give much info. The truck has a max trailer weight of 9850 and the trailer is 7995. After adding all our junk (but no fresh water needed) and 2 adults and 2 kids would we be ok? We just got the truck in September so I am not trading, and we love the trailer.
Rwaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

Ohio
It all depends. You need to look at:
-your tow weight, which looks like 9850
-The trailer weight, 7995, then add about 1,000 lbs of supplies and junk.
-Hitch weight. Normally this is about 10-15% of trailer weight, so about 800-1200 lbs.
-Truck load weight. This includes everything in it, such as gas, gear, people. You add the trailer hitch weight to this.

You don't want to clobber your truck by being at it's max in any category. However, a good weight distributing hitch can help a lot with tongue weight.

Crunch your numbers, see what you get. I just bought my trailer and did all the numbers like 20 times before buying. My Tundra pulls 10.6k and I got a trailer that is about 8000k. So that one may be a lot for your truck. Also depends on how long you plan to keep your truck.
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Indiana
We have a 311bhs... the book says it weighs 7995 the sitcker by the door said well over 8500# and thats before you add water, lp gas, food, and stuff. They ARE tongue heavy at 990 # before batteries and LPgas so be sure you have the right weight distribution hitch set up. The andersen one did not work for us so we went with the 1100# Equalizer 4 pt system and like it.

Once you get it rolling the trailer tows very nice.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #6

Tennessee
I'd bet money you're over on your payload rating, but you still haven't given enough info on the truck, crew cab, quad cab? 2wd-4wd, 1/2 ton or 3/4, what rear end. Engine power isn't really a determining factor when towing, any newer truck will tow over what's it's safely rated for fairly easily.

If it's a 3/4 ton you're probably good to go.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #7

Missouri
My trailer is 7350 empty. I fully equipped my trailer and went to the scales on the first trip. With a full tank of gas and my wife, dogs and I, we had only a 150 LBS to spare without being over on the truck Max gross vehicle weight. Somewhere I posted all this, and I don't remember what the exact weights were, but I know I was pushing the limits. The problem to be legal is the max weight of the truck with the tongue weight. Not the actual trailer weight.
Will your truck pull it... Yes... are you over weight... most likely...

As for input on your Denali, I can't speak for your specific model, but I am more than happy with mine with two years of camping with it under my belt. I would have no problem buying another one.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote