2013 Aspen Trail tire blow out damage - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 5
Arizona
2013 Aspen Trail tire blow out damage

I have a 2013 Aspen Trail 2500BH by Dutchmen. On a recent vacation we had a catastrophic blow-out that sent the tire steel belt through the sheet metal wheel well into the compartment below the stove and next to the furnace. It shattered the gray water pipe from the kitchen sink, chewed up the wires to the furnace and dented the housing for the furnace fan. I removed the stove, furnace, wood panels on the interior and the sheet metal wheel well. I repaired the hole in the OSB, repaired the gray water pipe, repaired the furnace fan housing, repaired the wires, and am in the process of reassembly. I have a couple of issues that are giving me fits.

1. When I removed the stove and furnace, there were two "paired/fused" loose wires that were not connected to anything. One was white and one was purple/white. According to the fuse panel, the purple/white is for the "kitchen". I have no idea where this was connected before the blow-out, they were just hanging loose when I got into the compartment. We had no issues during the rest of our vacation so I didn't even notice an issue from these wires being loose. It's apparent they were connected to something by the twist in the exposed ends, but what did/do they connect to? Anyone have a good wiring diagram?

2. Anyone know a good source for a replacement wheel well? Mine is too mangled to repair to my satisfaction. I'm afraid I'd be dealing w/ water infiltration from here on out. If I'm forced to use it, I will but would prefer a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
__________________

DHC4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 5
Arizona
Found a fender well!

Found this! Now awaiting them to come back to me with a shipping cost...

Trekwood RV Parts - Aspen Trail / 2013 / Metal / Wheel Well / Wheel Well - 5 7/8" x 11 1/4" x 58 3/4"

Still hoping someone has something on this loose wire before I just tape it off and see what happens...
__________________

DHC4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,880
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC4570 View Post
I have a 2013 Aspen Trail 2500BH by Dutchmen. On a recent vacation we had a catastrophic blow-out that sent the tire steel belt through the sheet metal wheel well into the compartment below the stove and next to the furnace. It shattered the gray water pipe from the kitchen sink, chewed up the wires to the furnace and dented the housing for the furnace fan. I removed the stove, furnace, wood panels on the interior and the sheet metal wheel well. I repaired the hole in the OSB, repaired the gray water pipe, repaired the furnace fan housing, repaired the wires, and am in the process of reassembly. I have a couple of issues that are giving me fits.

1. When I removed the stove and furnace, there were two "paired/fused" loose wires that were not connected to anything. One was white and one was purple/white. According to the fuse panel, the purple/white is for the "kitchen". I have no idea where this was connected before the blow-out, they were just hanging loose when I got into the compartment. We had no issues during the rest of our vacation so I didn't even notice an issue from these wires being loose. It's apparent they were connected to something by the twist in the exposed ends, but what did/do they connect to? Anyone have a good wiring diagram?

2. Anyone know a good source for a replacement wheel well? Mine is too mangled to repair to my satisfaction. I'm afraid I'd be dealing w/ water infiltration from here on out. If I'm forced to use it, I will but would prefer a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Hello Dave. I too had a blowout last week on the road (2016 Denali < 1000 travel miles). Are you going to replace the tires? I found out most of the RV tires are made in CHINA! I also reported it to the U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The website address is www.nhtsa.gov. Sorry for your material loss and hope everything is ok.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 5
Arizona
New tires

Thank you, and yes, I ended up heading to a tire store for 4 new tires. Better safe than sorry, especially on day 2 of a week long vacation.
DHC4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 521
if you took pictures and call whoever makes the tire with an estimate of the damage it caused from a dealership or repair shop they will usually reimburse you for the damage and a new tire. I filed twice on mine. Once for a China bomb and once for Maxxis. I now run J rated continental and have no tire issues.. Good luck and worst case let your insurance company repair it.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,880
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
if you took pictures and call whoever makes the tire with an estimate of the damage it caused from a dealership or repair shop they will usually reimburse you for the damage and a new tire. I filed twice on mine. Once for a China bomb and once for Maxxis. I now run J rated continental and have no tire issues.. Good luck and worst case let your insurance company repair it.
I called the MFR of the china bomb on my RV for a warranty replacement... here is what they said:

Good morning Frank,
The LionsHead warranty period on your tires is one year from the retail date of purchase, if you are within the warranty period, please fill out the attached warranty claim form completely and return with required photos so that we may review your request for warranty coverage.
Sincerely,
Brenda Speicher
LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel
PH:574-533-6169 x129
Fax: 574-533-6761
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 5
Arizona
Tanman,
Thanks for the advice. I will have to do that next time. We bought the RV used in March from a private seller. I probably should have replaced the tires but they looked good and were only 2-3 years old (seller couldn't recall exactly). As it is, I have completed the interior portion of repairs for about $5 in PVC and several hours of work. Still no idea about those loose wires though... I still need a fender well to finish the wheel well repair. I am thinking $50-75 shipped (worst case) for that.

Franktafl,
About what I would expect... Bought our new tires from Discount Tires with full road hazard warranty. We'll see how that works if this ever happens again.

Dave
DHC4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
chily3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 414
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC4570 View Post
Tanman,


Franktafl,
About what I would expect... Bought our new tires from Discount Tires with full road hazard warranty. We'll see how that works if this ever happens again.

Dave
Hope discount sold you the us made goodyear endurance. Not sure what your tire size is. We just changed our tires to the goodyears. Also includes a $70.00 repbate
__________________

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,880
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Hope discount sold you the us made goodyear endurance. Not sure what your tire size is. We just changed our tires to the goodyears. Also includes a $70.00 repbate
Exactly which goodyear tire did you get. When I checked TIRES RACK, all I could find for Goodyear were made in CHINA!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
chily3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 414
California
Goodyear Endurance, tire rack has them in 14's (all I checked) Also American or Discount tire has them there is another thread on here about the endurance tires.
__________________

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,880
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Goodyear Endurance, tire rack has them in 14's (all I checked) Also American or Discount tire has them there is another thread on here about the endurance tires.
My RV weighs in at almost 10K loaded. the tires I have been looking at are max load 2150! I noticed they have a 2800lb tire. What would be your recommendation?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
chily3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 414
California
Not really any kind of tire expert, there are lots of threads on this forum on tires. I got the Goodyears because the size etc works for me and they are US made. Have you weighed your trailer to make sure what your weight on the axles is. I do some have gone to light truck tires.
__________________

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 AM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 5
Arizona
Thanks for all the help and support! When the time comes, I'll upgrade to better tires.
DHC4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,880
Florida
Well, I did it, I ordered tires...

ST225/75R-15 Goodyear Endurance Trailer Use Only E (Qty:4)
08/31/2017
$485.28
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brown Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Under my desk
Posts: 194
Tennessee
Well done sir! It feels good to buy an American made ST tire again, doesn't it?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
__________________
2018 Coleman Money Pit (rebuilding it one piece at time and didn't cost Camping World a dime)
Brown Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Redmond
Posts: 26
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC4570 View Post
I have a 2013 Aspen Trail 2500BH by Dutchmen. On a recent vacation we had a catastrophic blow-out that sent the tire steel belt through the sheet metal wheel well into the compartment below the stove and next to the furnace. It shattered the gray water pipe from the kitchen sink, chewed up the wires to the furnace and dented the housing for the furnace fan. I removed the stove, furnace, wood panels on the interior and the sheet metal wheel well. I repaired the hole in the OSB, repaired the gray water pipe, repaired the furnace fan housing, repaired the wires, and am in the process of reassembly. I have a couple of issues that are giving me fits.

1. When I removed the stove and furnace, there were two "paired/fused" loose wires that were not connected to anything. One was white and one was purple/white. According to the fuse panel, the purple/white is for the "kitchen". I have no idea where this was connected before the blow-out, they were just hanging loose when I got into the compartment. We had no issues during the rest of our vacation so I didn't even notice an issue from these wires being loose. It's apparent they were connected to something by the twist in the exposed ends, but what did/do they connect to? Anyone have a good wiring diagram?

2. Anyone know a good source for a replacement wheel well? Mine is too mangled to repair to my satisfaction. I'm afraid I'd be dealing w/ water infiltration from here on out. If I'm forced to use it, I will but would prefer a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
I've heard so many stories about factory supplied tire blow outs, and had a few of my own. Best advice when you buy a NEW trailer, dump the tires and put on new truck tires.

I have 14 ply truck tires on my 3200 and they still look great after 15K miles.
__________________

__________________
Crooked River Rat
Redmond, OR
israelws is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×