2013 287re Added some new lighting to her... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Texas
2013 287re Added some new lighting to her...

Just thought I'd share a mod I did with our 287RE TT. It's not the best picture but gives you a good idea. I first installed some really nice LED lights just under the rollout canopy. They work with a wireless remote control so you can pick any color you want or make them "morf" through different colors. Under the TT I installed white rope lighting all the way around the unit. The TT now has a nice warm "glow" from underneath making it easy to find things under there at night. (I place plastic bins and camping gear under there during our outings. I have had her out a couple of times and have had many other campers stop by and ask me where I had the lights installed. It's really a pretty easy do it yourself job and actually pretty cheap. Just thought I'd share......

Leds = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used white rope lights that can be purchased anywhere. I attached them with rope light "tracks" I found at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...ight+trackThey are in the lighting section of the store and come in 6ft tracks. The tracks have double sided sticky tape on the back and I added some super glue about every foot and attached them to the steel beams under the TT (Of course I washed the beams first to make the tracks attach better). The tracks were $4 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	570  

Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #2

New York
I like the lights under the trailer - have to put that on my "honey do list"!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Oklahoma
It must just be me but I don't see the need to pimp my rig when it's sitting for the night.

Same as my bike riding aquaintenances, they pimp their scooters so they can dazzle themselves while the bike is on the stand.

eBay has lots of rope LEDs and almost all motorcycle parts stores have all kinds of multi-function LEDs designed for exterior use on things that have wheels.

Maybe I'll see the function of it as I get older.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Washington
I like the lights under the trailer. Do you keep them on when traveling? Can you connect several lengths together?
I'm already older........and "pimping" out our trailer looks cool to me!
2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
FatFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Texas
I plug them in when we get to the campsite and unplug them when we leave. I don't use them on the road. I don't think that would be legal anyway. We enjoy them while at the campsite. We also get a lot of positive comments from others while walking by the site. They put off a nice warm glow all around the trailer. Nothing too bright. It also makes it much easier to see under the trailer if you keeps things here while camping.
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
I also have the rope lights under the trailer. I have dark purple and it works well for lighting up the steps. The rope lights are attached to the I-beam frame using plastic 1/2" Kwik Clips. The clips have an adhesive back and stick really well to the I-beam. Clean the beam surface with rubbing alcohol before attaching the clips.

I put them on in the Spring of 2012 and leave them attached when traveling. I have only had one clip come off, and it separated from the adhesive back which was still attached to the I-beam. I just applied some super glue and all is well. There is a 1" hole in the I-beam right between the tires and that's where I tuck the plug and excess cord of the rope lights into when traveling.

Here's a link to the Kwik Clips that I used: Kwik Clip, Plastic, 1/2" diameter at Menards

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

Indiana
The lights are cool and making the trailer your own is cool too. Please remember to turn them off when you go to bed because some of us go camping for the darkness that cant be seen even with the "warm glow". Thanks

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote