2012 287RE Denali with Mountain Package or 2013 287RE Denali - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

2012 287RE Denali with Mountain Package or 2013 287RE Denali

As you can see I just joined your forum. I am in the market for a new Travel Trailer and have decided on the Dutchmen Denali 287RE. I have found a 2012 with the Mountain Package and a 2013 without the Mountain Package for the same price. I have no idea what the Mountain Package is or what the differences are between 2012 and 2013. Does anyone have any advice, info, etc? What would you do?

Thank You,
Wayne

DamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

Re: 2012 287RE Denali with Mountain Package or 2013 287RE De

Hi Wayne.
The "Mountain Package" is certainly the way to go if you are paying the same money.
larger fridge, larger hot water, better interior finish and thermal windows. Some extra goodies as well that you can live without but why not have just because.
We have a 2012 261BH, with the "all weather" "mountain" and "Luxury" packages, and the layout of the trailer is perfect for our needs. As with any TT, there are issues that will come up that you should have no troubles getting resolved between your dealer and the manufacturer.
We are happy with ours overall.

TheWeltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #3

Texas

We purchased a 2013 Denali 287re. When we first saw the model on the lot, it was a 2012 287re with all the packages including the Mountain package. Now, mind you, we received our Dutchmen from Camping World as a replacement for what they did to our 2012 Keystone Outback 298re (Long story...), anyways, the Dutchmen we toured was a 2012, we ordered and received a 2013 and the 2013's don't have the mountain package. The difference I noticed was no keyless entry (factory said they had too many that didn't work, in fact the model we toured didn't work) and no outside audio control. Other than that, everything else was the same, larger h2o heater/fridge, remote slide/stabilizer jacks, awning. We got it fully loaded and are very happy with it so far. Let me know if you have any questions about it. We really like ours. Lots of room inside. It's so comfortable. We even had it built with 50amp service and 2 AC's. If you live in a hot climate, i would HIGHLY recommend it since it's such a big rig. They are very well insulated but you really need 2 AC's to cool that much floorspace down.
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeltons
Hi Wayne.
The "Mountain Package" is certainly the way to go if you are paying the same money.
larger fridge, larger hot water, better interior finish and thermal windows. Some extra goodies as well that you can live without but why not have just because.
We have a 2012 261BH, with the "all weather" "mountain" and "Luxury" packages, and the layout of the trailer is perfect for our needs. As with any TT, there are issues that will come up that you should have no troubles getting resolved between your dealer and the manufacturer.
We are happy with ours overall.
Thank you for the information. It so happens that the 2013 without the Mountain Package has the larger frig, larger hot water heater and thermal windows, but the reply following yours does shed some light on the other Mountain Package extras. In the end it will probably come down to which dealer goes a little lower on price.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear25314
We purchased a 2013 Denali 287re. When we first saw the model on the lot, it was a 2012 287re with all the packages including the Mountain package. Now, mind you, we received our Dutchmen from Camping World as a replacement for what they did to our 2012 Keystone Outback 298re (Long story...), anyways, the Dutchmen we toured was a 2012, we ordered and received a 2013 and the 2013's don't have the mountain package. The difference I noticed was no keyless entry (factory said they had too many that didn't work, in fact the model we toured didn't work) and no outside audio control. Other than that, everything else was the same, larger h2o heater/fridge, remote slide/stabilizer jacks, awning. We got it fully loaded and are very happy with it so far. Let me know if you have any questions about it. We really like ours. Lots of room inside. It's so comfortable. We even had it built with 50amp service and 2 AC's. If you live in a hot climate, i would HIGHLY recommend it since it's such a big rig. They are very well insulated but you really need 2 AC's to cool that much floorspace down.
Thank you for the reply. I am not worried about keyless entry or outside audio control. I will be picking a trailer that is in stock and lowest price is my number one option so while I really wish I could get the 2nd AC, I will hope for the best with one AC. I don't envy your trouble with the Outback but do envy your seond Air Conditioner. We currently have and are selling our 2005 Outback and it has been an awesome trailer.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

Welcome Wayne. It sounds like a good choice you have made. Hope the deal goes well. Keep us posted...

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamMan
Thank you for the reply. I am not worried about keyless entry or outside audio control.
For what it'a worth, the keyless entry and outdoor stereo are probably the two extra features we use most and are really glad we have them.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Bear25314,
We are going with the 2013 because it is closer to us and we like the salesman. However it is still a distance away from home. Do you know what the tongue frame height and hitch height is so we can pre purchase a weight distribution hitch? By frame height I'm referring to whether I need the 4", 6" or other size bracket to attach the bar ends? Also the counter has notches where the stove is like a Corian cover should be over the stove when not in use. Is there such a stove cover?
Thank you, Wayne
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #9

Texas

hmm. I don't know off hand the hight of the hitch. I keep my rig stored away from the house about 20 miles away. I however can suggest the Reese Dual Cam hitch system. I pull my 2013 287re with a 2011 F250 and it pulls real nice with that hitch system. Concerning the counter top over the stove. There is a cover that goes over the stove. It is actually a piece the same material the counter top is made of. Its really a nice way of covering up the stove. Better than your run of the mill black metal cover that most RV's have.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
hmm. I don't know off hand the hight of the hitch. I keep my rig stored away from the house about 20 miles away. I however can suggest the Reese Dual Cam hitch system. I pull my 2013 287re with a 2011 F250 and it pulls real nice with that hitch system. Concerning the counter top over the stove. There is a cover that goes over the stove. It is actually a piece the same material the counter top is made of. Its really a nice way of covering up the stove. Better than your run of the mill black metal cover that most RV's have.
Bear25314,
Thank you again. The salesman sent me the measurements and I sent him the info on the stove cover and asked him to find it.
Just curios about the 25314 in your username. Reminds me of my Maternal Grandparents zip code, although they have been gone 35+ years the number brings back memories.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #11

Texas

The cover for the stove should come with your trailer. It was not an add on or additional expense for me when I ordered my trailer from the factory. In fact, I didn't even realize that it came with that until I first walked thru the unit when it was finally delivered. I also had mine built with the fireplace. Cant wait to try that out this winter. It should help take the chill off on those cold mornings... All in all its a nice unit. Make sure you check EVERYTHING out on your walk thru. Get up on the roof and check everything out up there too. I would love to see some pictures of her when you get it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #12

Just an update to let anyone interested in a 287RE what to expect on the stove cover. Dutchmen determined that the stove cover cost was above the price point of the Denali line. The stove cover was therefore deleted but the counter was not initially redesigned so that is why the opening in the counter for the stove looks unfinished without the cover. A few 287RE's "slipped" through with the cover. More were built without the cover but with the counter cut-out for the cover. The newest 287RE's will have the stove opening in the counter finished properly to compensate for the discontinued cover, but those trailers have not reached final production.
So the factory has ordered a stove cover for the trailer I am hoping to purchase. The representative I am talking to doesn't have a firm timeline on the cover and no idea on price at this point. I was planning on finalizing the purchase of the 2013 Denali on August 25th but if the price point of the cover is too high or the cover doesn't arrive by then, I will have to decide whether I want to wait or look at another brand of trailer. I am a little concerned about the quality of the Denali when they allowed multiple trailers to leave the factory without a properly finished counter top.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #13

Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamMan
Just an update to let anyone interested in a 287RE what to expect on the stove cover. Dutchmen determined that the stove cover cost was above the price point of the Denali line. The stove cover was therefore deleted but the counter was not initially redesigned so that is why the opening in the counter for the stove looks unfinished without the cover. A few 287RE's "slipped" through with the cover. More were built without the cover but with the counter cut-out for the cover. The newest 287RE's will have the stove opening in the counter finished properly to compensate for the discontinued cover, but those trailers have not reached final production.
So the factory has ordered a stove cover for the trailer I am hoping to purchase. The representative I am talking to doesn't have a firm timeline on the cover and no idea on price at this point. I was planning on finalizing the purchase of the 2013 Denali on August 25th but if the price point of the cover is too high or the cover doesn't arrive by then, I will have to decide whether I want to wait or look at another brand of trailer. I am a little concerned about the quality of the Denali when they allowed multiple trailers to leave the factory without a properly finished counter top.

This sounds a bit strange to me. If you look at the "solid surfice" counter top in the TT over the stove, the actually cut out the space where the range is. So basically, they are just giving you the piece that was cut out to place on the top of the range. That piece just fills in where it was originally cut out. I find it hard to believe that there is much "cost" to that. I would ask that if your order the unit from the factory would it come with the solid surface cover over the range. I have found that when talking to the manufactures one of the first questions they ask you is what dealership you are talking to. They may have talked to that dealership already and are aware that you want to purchase that particular unit but that unit doesn't have that cover. The manufactures and the dealerships work very hand in hand. I bet if you call the manufacturer and tell them you don't have a dealership in mind, you are just looking at their units on the net and ask about if there is a cover over the range they would tell you that there was.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #14

Quote:
This sounds a bit strange to me. If you look at the "solid surfice" counter top in the TT over the stove, the actually cut out the space where the range is. So basically, they are just giving you the piece that was cut out to place on the top of the range. That piece just fills in where it was originally cut out. I find it hard to believe that there is much "cost" to that. I would ask that if your order the unit from the factory would it come with the solid surface cover over the range. I have found that when talking to the manufactures one of the first questions they ask you is what dealership you are talking to. They may have talked to that dealership already and are aware that you want to purchase that particular unit but that unit doesn't have that cover. The manufactures and the dealerships work very hand in hand. I bet if you call the manufacturer and tell them you don't have a dealership in mind, you are just looking at their units on the net and ask about if there is a cover over the range they would tell you that there was.
While the manufacturer and dealer are sticking to their story, the cover is being provided at no charge to me. If all goes well, I will be picking up the trailer September 4th. Finally!!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #15

Texas

Glad to hear your getting the cover with the deal. Good for you. I just got back from our trip today (Sept 4th) with our 287re. All has gone well with our 2 trips we have taken it out on. Just make sure you do a good "look over" when you pick it up if you didn't already today. Let us know how it goes for ya and good luck! Congradulations!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #16

We have the trailer! We did find a damaged slide out seal, chipped window, window that wouldn't fully close and water leak in the bathroom sink trap. Before we picked up the trailer, the dealer fixed the seal, the window that wouldn't close and the water leak. The chipped window will need to be replaced and the new window is on order. Hopefully we will get to make our first trip soon and find out if we have any other warranty issues before going back to get the window replaced. We are very excited.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #17

Texas

Well congradulations on the new TT. We had a great weekend in ours just last week. I know you will find the layout very comfortable. I love how big the bedroom is in it and the mattress is so comfortable. Plenty of room to actually move around in the bedroom was a huge selling point in mine. The kitchen and living area is perfect for us as well. The recliners are very comfortable, plenty of space for storing food and other items you might bring along too. Setting up the unit with the power young jack and levelers is great too. Good luck with her and enjoy it. Post some pictures too!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #18

After several trips under our belt, but not as many as we would like, we love the 287re floor plan but I sure wish Denali quality control was better. So far the control panel just inside the door has came off the wall, one of the trailer brakes shorted out, the kitchen faucet broke and now the shower drain is leaking. I haven't checked the shower drain yet as I just noticed the leak under the trailer.

The trailer brake was fixed under warranty but before I felt comfortable towing the trailer to the dealer, I had to find and isolate the short so that the other three brakes would work.

The shower leak does concern me as I don't know how long it has leaked and if structural damage has occurred.

My only modifications so far are upgraded bed struts so that the bed stays up when lifted, a new shower head and center stabilizer jacks just in front of the axles. My next planned additions are slideout awnings.

DamMan
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #19

California
I have one of those in between models with the cutout for the stove cover, but my trailer didn't come with one. I always thought it look strange but didn't really give it much more thought. Now it will probably bug me now that I know it should have had a cover.

I have a question that is a little off topic. My control panel has a level sensor for "gray 1" and "gray 2" tanks. The gray 1 tank is the only one that fills up. I'm pretty sure there is only one tank but just want to make sure. It seems wierd that the control panel has 2 gray tanks showing, but maybe they are generic for multiple types of trailers. Does anyone else have this same thing?

BTW, we love this trailer. Best floorplan ever in my opinion.
neil11975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil11975 View Post
I have one of those in between models with the cutout for the stove cover, but my trailer didn't come with one. I always thought it look strange but didn't really give it much more thought. Now it will probably bug me now that I know it should have had a cover.

I have a question that is a little off topic. My control panel has a level sensor for "gray 1" and "gray 2" tanks. The gray 1 tank is the only one that fills up. I'm pretty sure there is only one tank but just want to make sure. It seems wierd that the control panel has 2 gray tanks showing, but maybe they are generic for multiple types of trailers. Does anyone else have this same thing?

BTW, we love this trailer. Best floorplan ever in my opinion.

Might help if we knew what trailer you have!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote