Where to store weight distribution bars - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #21

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toes in the water View Post
Thank you chily3
I ordered it this morning. Safe Travels
I had to use the 2X6 pressure treated boards as spacers. since the picture I have painted the area black to match to tongue.
Since we store our trailer inside in a secure location I am not worried about "theft". Also the locking pin I use on the truck works on this mount as well. So while camping not worried about theft either.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #22

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Alot of people are very passionate about WDH I had no idea?? That is my experience. Safe travels.
I think you're confused as to what the purpose of a WDH is.
This is a good article that may help you.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Old 05-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #23

Arizona
Quote:
Hi, I will answer your question. I have never towed a load in excess of 6000 lb. The travel trailer I have weighs 4412 lb. 1588 lb net weight cargo cap. = 6000 lb. fully loaded. I do not travel with full tanks. I doubt My wife and I would ever load 1588 lb. of cargo. I have only towed in Florida and so far the truck and trailer have never swayed when being passed at 75+ MPH by big rigs and cars. When we put the trailer on the truck I do not see any lowering of rear end of the truck. We have a 2016 Chevy 1500 with a bed slide and Leer capper, full tow package rated at 9400 lbs. Trailer is a 2010 Kodiak 24rbsl. I do "feel" a down ward air pressure push the rig when we get passed by 18 wheel rigs going 75+mph but have no sway yet. So I feel safe now. However if I think we needed the WDH I would get one. I am a make do kinda of guy and come from the old school of thought "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Alot of people are very passionate about WDH I had no idea?? That is my experience. Safe travels.
I really believe that you ought to measure that rear bumper before and after hitching up the trailer. I see no way you can put 500-600# on the hitch and the suspension doesn't respond accordingly. We have virtually identical trailers and I have the same truck as you only a 2012 and my rear end drops about 4"+ when I hook up the trailer. It's not so much passion as it is engineering when talking about WDH. It must be understood that WDH is not necessarily sway control, although some WDH integrate sway control into their units. Their primary purpose is to more evenly distribute the payload over both axles of the truck. I wish you safe travels as well.
RichH
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #24

Florida
I will measure the trailer next tine we go camping. We are going on a 6 night trip to Northern Florida on In a few days. If I see a huge drop like yours perhaps i will consider a WDH. Thanks for your input. My truck says full cargo is 1,760 lbs. The bed slide and Leer cap weigh 400 lbs. I weigh 200, wife weighs 130. That leaves around 1,000 lbs. I think this is right? So I can load 1,000 in the bed and 1,500 in the trailer and that would be full capacity? I do not think I can get 2500 lbs of camping stuff in our rig and truck if I tried. We shall see. Also be careful of this forums "senior members" they are very set in there ways. I think they mean well, they just have a hard time seeing another point of view. I find this true when dealing with the older people. Safe travels
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:
Also be careful of this forums "senior members" they are very set in there ways. I think they mean well, they just have a hard time seeing another point of view. I find this true when dealing with the older people. Safe travels
I didn't realize that senior member referred to our age, I need to contact a mod and get mine changed to middle aged member.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #26

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster
Also be careful of this forums "senior members" they are very set in there ways. I think they mean well, they just have a hard time seeing another point of view. I find this true when dealing with the older people. Safe travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I didn't realize that senior member referred to our age, I need to contact a mod and get mine changed to middle aged member.
Well I am a senior member and love to see what others have done. Have made lots of changes etc based on the these forums.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #27

Arizona
Quote:
I will measure the trailer next tine we go camping. We are going on a 6 night trip to Northern Florida on In a few days. If I see a huge drop like yours perhaps i will consider a WDH. Thanks for your input. My truck says full cargo is 1,760 lbs. The bed slide and Leer cap weigh 400 lbs. I weigh 200, wife weighs 130. That leaves around 1,000 lbs. I think this is right? So I can load 1,000 in the bed and 1,500 in the trailer and that would be full capacity? I do not think I can get 2500 lbs of camping stuff in our rig and truck if I tried. We shall see. Also be careful of this forums "senior members" they are very set in there ways. I think they mean well, they just have a hard time seeing another point of view. I find this true when dealing with the older people.Safe travels
People of all ages get set in their ways. If I remember correctly fuel is not included in the vehicle's weight and a full tank must be added to the cargo, 25 gals=150#. Don't forget tongue weight~500#. So you are loaded about 1380# out of a possible 1760#. That leaves 380# of leeway, not a lot in the big scheme of things. That's almost 80% of payload capacity and the main reason I believe you will find that the truck squats more than you think when ready for the road. I look forward to hearing the measurements when you get back from your trip. BTW make sure to keep a good eye on the PSI on all of the tires on your trip. Have a great trip!
RichH
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #28

Florida
I did forget the hitch weight. The 2010 brochure says hitch weight is 396 lb. and the fuel is 26 gal. 210 lbs of gas. After talking to you I see that i may need a WDH I will see how the ride is and look at the difference in measurements on the next trip. Thanks for the input.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Really, if I go by my son's idea of age, my foot the was on the banana peel has already joined the other one that's already in the grave. I was barely out of my twenties when he was talking to DW about middle age. DW asks him what he thought middle age was, "you know, like dad." So what am I a dead member?

Hey, I could be a Dead Head!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youthful enthusiasm!

With age comes wisdom, most of it learned by screwing up and living to tell about it.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves._Will Rogers

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves._Will Rogers

Aaron
Wise man that Will Rogers, but he didn't include the forth kind of man.

The one that reads, observes and still has to pee on the electric fence, just to make sure.

That's ME!

Nothing like experience for a teacher.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
I did forget the hitch weight. The 2010 brochure says hitch weight is 396 lb. and the fuel is 26 gal. 210 lbs of gas. After talking to you I see that i may need a WDH I will see how the ride is and look at the difference in measurements on the next trip. Thanks for the input.
One more thing...

When I bought my prior trailer in 2012, I drove to Murtle Beach from Charlotte to pick it up. Wife, daughter in truck. Trailer empty of course. NO WDH at that time though I knew I'd be needing one.

At any speed above 55 I got sway that was uncomfy. The F-150 sway control that spikes the brakes didn't really do anything. I've found that the Ford built in sway control is for very bad sway as a stop gap measure and found out the hard way one day when the wind on an overpass pushed my trailer hard sideways. Many WDH setup have sway control as a feature. Once I added the WDH to that trailer I could pull her at 70 MPH with no sway.

The other thing I noticed is that when going over railroad tracks or abrupt bumps in the road the trailer would porpoise on me without a WDH. Meaning the basic hitch/ball would act like a pivot point and that trailer would have it's way with the truck and we'd be riding a vertical wave instead of a side to side sway at that point. I've found that a WDH minimizes that porpoising.

*** I'm a young guy.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #33

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Really, if I go by my son's idea of age, my foot the was on the banana peel has already joined the other one that's already in the grave. I was barely out of my twenties when he was talking to DW about middle age. DW asks him what he thought middle age was, "you know, like dad." So what am I a dead member?

Hey, I could be a Dead Head!
The nice thing is the kids that work at places that give a senior discount think everyone over 35 is a senior.
RichH
Old 05-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #34

South Carolina
As my WD bars are clean, I store them in the pass through along with the hitch that is covered with those travel bags that they give away at the Walmart store.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #35

Michigan
Made these last night, nothing fancy, but they work and if they get greasy, they are easy to clean up, or throw away and make new ones. All it costs is a little duct tape.
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...icture799.html
Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #36

Indiana
I use the equilizer four point sway control and weight distrubition set up. I leave my bars on the hitch on the truck. I just swing them forward under the rear bumper. They also act as an extra step to climb into the back of the truck.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote