What is this Tool? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

South Carolina
What is this Tool?

Can someone tell me what this tool that came in my Dutchmen Bag?

My salesman couldn't tell me much. He told me the tool that manually lowers the stabilizers was a generic tool not meant for this trailer. He just didn't know the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3646  

All American 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6 View Post
Can someone tell me what this tool that came in my Dutchmen Bag?

My salesman couldn't tell me much. He told me the tool that manually lowers the stabilizers was a generic tool not meant for this trailer. He just didn't know the product.
I would hazard a guess; think it might be an extension to use with a drill or ratchet wrench to manually retract a slide if it got stuck out for some reason.

Instead of asking the salesman I would find a tech and ask them.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

New Jersey
It might help if you gave us the model of you trailer. Do you have a spare tire mounted underneath the trailer? It may be an extension to crank the spare up/down. There's typically a shaft that comes out under the steps if you have a pare mounted underneath.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

South Carolina
I have a 2016 Aerolite 298RESL. Spare tire is mounted on the bumper.

thanks.
All American 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #5

Texas
Mine came with the same tool. It does indeed manually turn the gearbox and chain-sprocket for the slide mechanism.

However, on mine you still need to remove the fascia\wood trim above the slide, to even use that tool. (connected to a drill or cordless driver)

Hope I never need it.

There are some really good you-tube videos that show how these slides actually work. At first glance, I thought the "track-type" slides were preferable. But after researching at length, it seems the industry doesn't deploy them properly. And often they are needlessly complicated.

The cable-slide system is a bit less sophisticated, but I'm now convinced I'd rather have a problem with them. Lol

Of course, it makes no difference to me which I have if it is functioning properly.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #6

North Carolina
It's for the slide gear box...

However, if the gear box is bad... This might not save you.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Mine came with the same tool. It does indeed manually turn the gearbox and chain-sprocket for the slide mechanism.

However, on mine you still need to remove the fascia\wood trim above the slide, to even use that tool. (connected to a drill or cordless driver)

Hope I never need it.

There are some really good you-tube videos that show how these slides actually work. At first glance, I thought the "track-type" slides were preferable. But after researching at length, it seems the industry doesn't deploy them properly. And often they are needlessly complicated.

The cable-slide system is a bit less sophisticated, but I'm now convinced I'd rather have a problem with them. Lol

Of course, it makes no difference to me which I have if it is functioning properly.
Snake,

I like my antique "track" slides. they go out, they go in. I don't have any of that crazy electronic stuff, count to ten backs, as you hold the button in.

The drive for the livingroom is under the rear stair and the bedslide under the bed. I've only had to use it once, that was in Alaska last year. It worked flawlessly, but 1 caution, If anyone goes near the swide switch, shoot them in the leg. Don't ask me how I know, as I put my shoulder joint back in place.

It was all my own fault, I wasn't paying attention how much juice the solar was producing.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Illinois
Just kills me that they can sell an RV and not even have the rudimentary knowledge of the product. People sometimes sink their whole retirement savings into a "second home" and an ignorant salesperson doesn't know the first thing about his product other than knowing how to check your credit score. I know it's "buyer's beware", but this salesman should be fired. Thank goodness for this forum.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just kills me that they can sell an RV and not even have the rudimentary knowledge of the product. People sometimes sink their whole retirement savings into a "second home" and an ignorant salesperson doesn't know the first thing about his product other than knowing how to check your credit score. I know it's "buyer's beware", but this salesman should be fired. Thank goodness for this forum.
Rusty
Rusty,

Our RV dealers are regulated, much like our auto dealers, here in BC. The consumer has some protection under the watchdog organization that is supposed to mediate disputes between the consumer and the dealer. But just like about everything it is still "buyer beware,"
and the deck is still stacked in favor of the dealer. It's still "It ain't in writing, so I never said it."

You get the odd dealer that goes above and beyond for the customer, but unfortunately they are very few and far between.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Snake,

I like my antique "track" slides. they go out, they go in. I don't have any of that crazy electronic stuff, count to ten backs, as you hold the button in.
You are describing exactly what I found appealing about track vs cable.
At first glance, I was immediately a track guy.
It was AFTER I began my RV education on forums like this that I discovered these new fancy track systems were more sophisticated than the Space Shuttle.

Heck, I wouldn't mind having a manual crank slide that exposed the over-built gears and tracks underneath the TT\slide so that I could clearly see and get to them.
Imagine "the tool" looking similar to the manually crank tool on a Model T Ford.

Might not be nearly as convenient or sexy. But would be almost indestructible.

However, I'm sure that any RV designed with my over-simplifying vision would need an F550 bumper to pull it.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
You are describing exactly what I found appealing about track vs cable.
Simple and it works, when you don't kill you batteries.

Heck, I wouldn't mind having a manual crank slide that exposed the over-built gears and tracks underneath the TT\slide so that I could clearly see and get to them.
Imagine "the tool" looking similar to the manually crank tool on a Model T Ford.

Makes it much easier to inspect and service. The Model T crank now looks like a super long drill bit, plug that into the drill and let the forces of touque take over.

However, I'm sure that any RV designed with my over-simplifying vision would need an F550 bumper to pull it. Not really, I could get away quite nicely with an F250 to tow my 11K brick, but I got the 3500 for the same price the 2500 would have cost me. Right place, right time.
Jim

Old 10-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Georgia
I had two of those in my bag. The salesman did not have a clue but the tech who did the PDI was very helpful. He even showed me how to get to the gearbox without taking down the fascia.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

North Carolina
think its to run the hydraulic pump manually ... should the eletric side of the pump not work correctly ... you can use that tool to run the pump so you can use slide out or landing gear

hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote