What is this Tool? - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Sumter
Posts: 29
South Carolina
What is this Tool?

Can someone tell me what this tool that came in my Dutchmen Bag?


My salesman couldn't tell me much. He told me the tool that manually lowers the stabilizers was a generic tool not meant for this trailer. He just didn't know the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3646  
__________________

All American 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6 View Post
Can someone tell me what this tool that came in my Dutchmen Bag?


My salesman couldn't tell me much. He told me the tool that manually lowers the stabilizers was a generic tool not meant for this trailer. He just didn't know the product.
I would hazard a guess; think it might be an extension to use with a drill or ratchet wrench to manually retract a slide if it got stuck out for some reason.

Instead of asking the salesman I would find a tech and ask them.

Aaron
__________________

__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hewitt
Posts: 270
New Jersey
It might help if you gave us the model of you trailer. Do you have a spare tire mounted underneath the trailer? It may be an extension to crank the spare up/down. There's typically a shaft that comes out under the steps if you have a pare mounted underneath.
__________________
2013 V 3105
2016 F350 King Ranch CC 6.7 diesel dually
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Sumter
Posts: 29
South Carolina
I have a 2016 Aerolite 298RESL. Spare tire is mounted on the bumper.

thanks.
All American 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
snakebitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alvin
Posts: 728
Texas
Mine came with the same tool. It does indeed manually turn the gearbox and chain-sprocket for the slide mechanism.

However, on mine you still need to remove the fascia\wood trim above the slide, to even use that tool. (connected to a drill or cordless driver)

Hope I never need it.

There are some really good you-tube videos that show how these slides actually work. At first glance, I thought the "track-type" slides were preferable. But after researching at length, it seems the industry doesn't deploy them properly. And often they are needlessly complicated.

The cable-slide system is a bit less sophisticated, but I'm now convinced I'd rather have a problem with them. Lol

Of course, it makes no difference to me which I have if it is functioning properly.
__________________
2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL-ND
2018 Wolf Pup 17RP Limited (Tiny THauler)
2018 F150 King Ranch 3.5 Beast
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
It's for the slide gear box...

However, if the gear box is bad... This might not save you.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Mine came with the same tool. It does indeed manually turn the gearbox and chain-sprocket for the slide mechanism.

However, on mine you still need to remove the fascia\wood trim above the slide, to even use that tool. (connected to a drill or cordless driver)

Hope I never need it.

There are some really good you-tube videos that show how these slides actually work. At first glance, I thought the "track-type" slides were preferable. But after researching at length, it seems the industry doesn't deploy them properly. And often they are needlessly complicated.

The cable-slide system is a bit less sophisticated, but I'm now convinced I'd rather have a problem with them. Lol

Of course, it makes no difference to me which I have if it is functioning properly.
Snake,

I like my antique "track" slides. they go out, they go in. I don't have any of that crazy electronic stuff, count to ten backs, as you hold the button in.

The drive for the livingroom is under the rear stair and the bedslide under the bed. I've only had to use it once, that was in Alaska last year. It worked flawlessly, but 1 caution, If anyone goes near the swide switch, shoot them in the leg. Don't ask me how I know, as I put my shoulder joint back in place.

It was all my own fault, I wasn't paying attention how much juice the solar was producing.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Roselle
Posts: 1,138
Illinois
Just kills me that they can sell an RV and not even have the rudimentary knowledge of the product. People sometimes sink their whole retirement savings into a "second home" and an ignorant salesperson doesn't know the first thing about his product other than knowing how to check your credit score. I know it's "buyer's beware", but this salesman should be fired. Thank goodness for this forum.
Rusty
__________________
2015 Black F-350 Platinum Diesel Dually Crew Cab
2019 Riverstone Legacy 38MB (Full Paint/All Options)
2015 Voltage 3990 (Full Paint, All Options) Sold 6/18
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just kills me that they can sell an RV and not even have the rudimentary knowledge of the product. People sometimes sink their whole retirement savings into a "second home" and an ignorant salesperson doesn't know the first thing about his product other than knowing how to check your credit score. I know it's "buyer's beware", but this salesman should be fired. Thank goodness for this forum.
Rusty
Rusty,

Our RV dealers are regulated, much like our auto dealers, here in BC. The consumer has some protection under the watchdog organization that is supposed to mediate disputes between the consumer and the dealer. But just like about everything it is still "buyer beware,"
and the deck is still stacked in favor of the dealer. It's still "It ain't in writing, so I never said it."

You get the odd dealer that goes above and beyond for the customer, but unfortunately they are very few and far between.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
snakebitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alvin
Posts: 728
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Snake,

I like my antique "track" slides. they go out, they go in. I don't have any of that crazy electronic stuff, count to ten backs, as you hold the button in.
You are describing exactly what I found appealing about track vs cable.
At first glance, I was immediately a track guy.
It was AFTER I began my RV education on forums like this that I discovered these new fancy track systems were more sophisticated than the Space Shuttle.

Heck, I wouldn't mind having a manual crank slide that exposed the over-built gears and tracks underneath the TT\slide so that I could clearly see and get to them.
Imagine "the tool" looking similar to the manually crank tool on a Model T Ford.

Might not be nearly as convenient or sexy. But would be almost indestructible.

However, I'm sure that any RV designed with my over-simplifying vision would need an F550 bumper to pull it.
__________________

__________________
2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL-ND
2018 Wolf Pup 17RP Limited (Tiny THauler)
2018 F150 King Ranch 3.5 Beast
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.