Weighed my camper today... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Tennessee
Weighed my camper today...

Holy crap, do I have a lot of "stuff" in there. 500lbs worth without 2 bicycles, clothes or food in the fridge. And that's just for 2 people.

I also got to see a super old mechanical scale in action at the CO-OP, the guy weighing me wasn't as impressed with it as I was.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I DON'T want to weigh mine. Several years ago a buddy of mine weighed his Airstream, he was right at gross weight with the tanks empty So we started emptying cabinets. His wife had full china place settings for 12, cast iron cookware, etc. He was doing some wiring and plumbing so EVERYTHING came out. After he was done with the repairs he weighed the trailer again. He was right on the unloaded numbers. He told his wife that everything that went back in had to go on the scales first.

I only have about 700# of cargo capacity, and if I max that out I am going to over my tire ratings. If I had to guess I would say we run around 500# of cargo, we put A LOT in the bed of the truck for that reason. Next trailer will have a bit more carrying capacity.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I DON'T want to weigh mine.
I hear that. I didn't really want know, but i'm seriously considering getting a GMC Canyon and wanted to know how close I was cutting it for towing.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I hear that. I didn't really want know, but i'm seriously considering getting a GMC Canyon and wanted to know how close I was cutting it for towing.
I made a couple of strategic decisions a while back. I am ONLY going to tow with a 1/2t Ford and it has to have a tow package rated around 7500# or better. My trailers ARE NOT going to exceed 6500# GVW. Other than my bride getting the wrong engine back in 2003 we have done pretty well. She bought a 2003 F150 Lariat with the 4.6 instead of the 5.4, it works but we are pushing it. The truck has 240,000 miles on it right now. We will get a replacement in the next couple of years along with the upgrade on the trailer. Lance has the lead position at the moment.

Back when we had our monster Coleman popup I made the mistake of weighing it with race car scales and found out just why it was eating left side tires. It was offsided by almost 400# left to right bias. talk about crap engineering!

Aaron
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #5

Missouri
So help me out here... Is the weights with the truck also. what the empty weight of the trailer and how much does the truck weigh?

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:25 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
So help me out here... Is the weights with the truck also. what the empty weight of the trailer and how much does the truck weigh?
Yeah, the first is the truck and trailer, which I didn't really need but the scale guy offered it. The second is the trailer weight with all my stuff in it. The trailer is supposed to weigh 4890 empty.

If you subtract the two the truck is 5070, that's with me (170) a quarter tank of gas and a tool box that weighs about 40lbs.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #7

South Carolina
Dawnie, was the trailer unhitched from the truck? Otherwise, some of the tongue weight is on the truck. Otherwise, 5430-4890=530 lbs which seems like a very small amount, given tanks, propane, battery, hoses, jacks, extension cords, blocks/chock, etc, not even to mention what you have in the interior cabinets.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Dawnie, was the trailer unhitched from the truck? Otherwise, some of the tongue weight is on the truck. Otherwise, 5430-4890=530 lbs which seems like a very small amount, given tanks, propane, battery, hoses, jacks, extension cords, blocks/chock, etc, not even to mention what you have in the interior cabinets.
Yes, it was unhitched. I really should have explained myself better.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
I made a couple of strategic decisions a while back. I am ONLY going to tow with a 1/2t Ford and it has to have a tow package rated around 7500# or better. My trailers ARE NOT going to exceed 6500# GVW.
Don't forget that all American truck makers have adopted the new SAE J2807 towing ratings, which is a tougher test then they were previously using.
So you should be able to get closer to your actual max without killing the truck.

I never bought into the old numbers and would never get within 1000lbs of any trucks max.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #10

Indiana
I have never met a farmer or construction worker who paid much attention to weight limits. It seems that half and three quarter ton are just suggestions.

I doubt most folks will ever notice the increased wear and tear the TT takes on their TV.

They will however quickly notice a lack of sufficient horse power or gearing.
rbpru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpru View Post
I have never met a farmer or construction worker who paid much attention to weight limits. It seems that half and three quarter ton are just suggestions.

I doubt most folks will ever notice the increased wear and tear the TT takes on their TV.

Guilty on both counts or should that be... I resemble that remark?

We have a 1.5 ton truck on the farm, it is routinely loaded well past it's legal limits. Then there was the time I had to retrieve my FIL's Case backhoe. I had it on the gooseneck behind my F350 dually PSD. Bet I was rolling close to 30k all in. I was watching for DMV enforcement too.

Aaron
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
Guilty on both counts or should that be... I resemble that remark?

We have a 1.5 ton truck on the farm, it is routinely loaded well past it's legal limits. Then there was the time I had to retrieve my FIL's Case backhoe. I had it on the gooseneck behind my F350 dually PSD. Bet I was rolling close to 30k all in. I was watching for DMV enforcement too.

Aaron
Ah, depending on the year of the PSD. I am rolling down the road at 29,900 lbs combined, but the newer trucks are legitimate with that weight behind it. IIRC, my GCWR is right at 35,000 lbs, I still have room to spare, but I am tapped out on both front and rear axle weights...I just don't see how I could ever get to that max GCWR without busting another weight tolerance.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Ah, depending on the year of the PSD. I am rolling down the road at 29,900 lbs combined, but the newer trucks are legitimate with that weight behind it. IIRC, my GCWR is right at 35,000 lbs, I still have room to spare, but I am tapped out on both front and rear axle weights...I just don't see how I could ever get to that max GCWR without busting another weight tolerance.

Cale
1996 IIRC the combined on it was in the 22k-24k range I know that the goose neck had a GVW of 45k. So with a little redneck math and reasoning it was good to go!

Aaron
Old 11-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpru View Post
They will notice a lack of braking and stability before they notice a lack of HP.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
They will notice a lack of braking and stability before they notice a lack of HP.
I'll drink to that.

When I upgraded the brakes on my Ram to ceramic pads and slottes and cross drilled rotors. It helped in getting the Ram wohooed up, but when I was towing the Brick, the braking was better, but not what I had hoped for.

Next step disk brakes on the Brick and now I don't get white knuckles when some dip $h!t cuts me off and spikes the brakes. I don't have to worry about getting through the big cities before rush hour any more.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote