Warranty Issues, Customer No-Service - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Washington
Warranty Issues, Customer No-Service

We purchased a brand new 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS this past July.

At the PDI, the unit was not cleaned with the exception of sweeping it out. The exterior was filthy. This obviously falls on the location where I purchased it. I will get back on that later. This was our first purchase of a new RV and didnt know what to expect. During the inspection my son burned his hand with their water dispenser which also didn't help my attention. They did very little to help with that.

After I had the unit home, before using it at all, I noticed some delamination on the back panel near the clearance lights. Reported to my service center.

After further inspection I also noticed a bubble near the back door and a defect where the awning meets the side panel. The LED lighting is falling off under the awning. The front LED lighting peeled back while washing. The surround in the bathtub was buckling. The window treatments were poorly installed and falling off. There was an area of roofing that was not properly sealed with caulking. Lastly the front of the unit was damaged by road debris (this was not picked up on because the unit was filthy)

All of these items were disclosed to the repair center in my area when I took the unit there for the warranty work.

I delivered the unit to the the first part of September. On the 26th of September I contacted the service center and they stated they were waiting for approval from Dutchmen, so I called Dutchmen. After being hung up on by one of the service reps I talked to another and he stated ALL items were approved.

Yesterday I contacted the repair center again and they were still waiting for approval. I blew my top. I contacted Dutchmen AGAIN and was told that the front cap was denied (approved on the 26th of Sept) and they approved an hour to remove the awning to investigate the roof leak (screw improperly installed in roof deck causing damage to awning and side panel).

NOTHING except the window treatments have been done and they have had my unit for over 6 weeks now.

My issue has supposedly been forwarded to Mgt at Dutchmen but I really don't know where that will get me.

What good is a warranty when they are going to do absolutely nothing about it? How many times must I contact them in order to get something done? I plan on calling them (Dutchmen) daily until I am satisfied.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. If Mgt doesn't respond by the end of the week, I will begin posting information on Social Media, talking to our local TV station, and reporting to the BBB.

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

South Carolina
It's too bad none of us (at least I didn't) search out and find these owner's boards PRIOR to the purchase of a vehicle or RV. Had I known then what I know now, I would have been more particular, especially during the whiz-bang PDI. (Summarized by "You know about RVs?" Me - Yep. "OK, well, look it over, come and find me if you have any questions." Me - OK. Me to wife - "I'll give it a long look when I get home; it's getting dark." End of PDI)

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Colorado
You might get some help from the BBB. Although Dutchmen is not a BBB member it seems they do respond to complaints filed through the BBB (and in fact have an A- rating with the BBB).

I don't know how well Dutchmen might respond to a Washington news outlet considering they are in Indiana, but who knows, if they have one of those "call for action" type shows it might be worth it.

Good luck with your efforts at resolution.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Washington
Daily Report

Received an e-mail from Dutchmen. Their service department is working with my service department to come up with a resolution. I told them earlier to send me a new unit.

I also sent my salesman a text message stating the issues and later sent another one. The last one I sent basically said I understand the he doesn't care because he already got paid for the sale. 1 minute later he called (that was my goal) and now has reps involved as well as his local service department. We drove a couple hours away to pick up this unit.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess. Whatever it takes
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Washington
Had I seen any of the damage, I would have NEVER accepted it. Lesson learned for next time I guess.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Missouri
To me it sounds like the real problem is with you dealer. One they delivered a dirty unit, with a lot of problems, two they are not helping rectifying your problems. I would communicate with the dealer daily and report them to the BBB if you cant get satisfaction.

This should be another lessoned learned to the importance of the PDI. I would bet you paid "dealer prep" on your invoice, but you received a filthy inside and out. Maybe the exterior wasn't washed to hide some of the delamination. Stick with it, and I bet you will get you trailer fixed to your satisfaction. I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Just remember to be firm but respectful.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Texas
Interesting statistic, The BBB list the number of complaints in the last 3 years...
21 Jayco
22 Heartland
23 Dutchman

I've owned all three of these brands. Since 2008 on 4 different trailers (including my Voltage) I've only had to filed one warranty claim. I couldn't find a drip on my Torque TH that turned out to be a $2 water heater bypass valve.

If you read any of these brands owners forums you'll find many post listing problems and think there all junk??? Those owners with problems perception is their reality, in other words they're right!!!

My experience has been they all make a good trailer.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Washington
Today was a good day

Well today has been good. Yes I agree that the dealer should claim responsibility as well as Dutchmen. After contacting our salesman, who was very concerned and helpful, I had forwarded him ALL of my documentation. He directly contacted the Service Manager at my local service center. A few hours later I was contacted by the Service Manager and he stated that they are taking care of all the issues as soon as they finish another RV that is in the Paint shop. Basically the squeaky wheel got the grease. My unit will be going in to have the Front Cap redone, Rear Panel Delam corrected, Side panel delam and misguided screw corrected, and LED lighting reattached. They will be doing all of this without authorization from Dutchmen and they will fight that battle with them on their own. He apologized for how was treated and wanted to make this right. I will post an update about the repair as soon as I hear more.

The Service Center where I had my PDI has gone through new management recently and unfortunately when I picked up my unit there was nobody in charge.

Once I see the repaired unit and am happy with the work, I will gladly give them a shout out for improving their customer service.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
To me it sounds like the real problem is with you dealer. One they delivered a dirty unit, with a lot of problems, two they are not helping rectifying your problems. I would communicate with the dealer daily and report them to the BBB if you cant get satisfaction.

This should be another lessoned learned to the importance of the PDI. I would bet you paid "dealer prep" on your invoice, but you received a filthy inside and out. Maybe the exterior wasn't washed to hide some of the delamination. Stick with it, and I bet you will get you trailer fixed to your satisfaction. I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Just remember to be firm but respectful.
Agree 100%. They knew I was upset but I did maintain my composure. I would much rather go at it with the nice guy approach but you gotta flex muscles every now and then. My conversation with the Service Manager went very well and I thanked him for his quick attention to the matter.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #10

Washington
I should note that overall we love the unit. It is a huge step up from out 26' Springdale with no slide outs. It saddens me that certain steps need to be taken in order for people to do what i s right and correct the problem(s). I am looking forward to next years camping season. Although it would have been nice to have with the wonderful fall we have had so far.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #11

Missouri
PackerFan, glad to hear you outcome!! Hopefully it all goes well and your out in it enjoying it SOON like your supposed too!!

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

Colorado
Sounds much like my experience with my dealer.

Make an appointment...and expect like a car or a doctor or a dentist or whatever...and you expect that the day of the appointment I going to be the day things get fixed.

Nope the day of the appointment is the "drop off date". And then Service works it into all the other RVs in for service, warranty, etc.

So like you, I dropped mine off on Sept 6th. Appointment date was Sept 10th. So four days early. On Sept 27th I went up to get it, as we were leaving for a trip in three days.

Of all the work items I had written up and included pics, and hand delivered to the Service Manager. One, yup ONE item had been addressed and several items were disassembled and left disassembled when I picked it up.

Since then, haven't heard what parts have come in or anything else. So I will be in Denver on Thursday and Friday and plan to go by and pick-up anything that has come in.

So we've had this unit since May 7, 2014, bought the extended warranty.

But I'm abandoning the warranty except for appliances or roof leaks (none yet). I'm retired three years now, so I have the time and a whole lot more diagnostic and repair experience and I'll do it myself just so it gets fixed now, I know what the fix was, and I learn more about my unit.

I'm not leaving my unit at the dealer for months waiting for them to finally get around to looking at it, getting approval, ordering parts, waiting for the parts to come in...and then work it into their schedule. Just bull****!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #13

South Carolina
This thread just reiterates my earlier position that the vehicles are designed just fine, and use quality parts, but are put together by $8/hr brainless yahoos. I remember several years ago (80's?) when small campers, such as Scamp, were available as kits. Pieces measured and cut, but put together, wired, and torqued by the owner. Seems to me there might be a market for that today. But then again, Heathkit shut down too. Reminds me of the old adage that of the three things, you can only get two out of three. Those being Fast, Cheap, and Good.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Sounds much like my experience with my dealer.

Make an appointment...and expect like a car or a doctor or a dentist or whatever...and you expect that the day of the appointment I going to be the day things get fixed.

Nope the day of the appointment is the "drop off date". And then Service works it into all the other RVs in for service, warranty, etc.
Which is precisely why I have never taken our coach back to CW where we bought it. When I have needed work (adding an additional a/c and a couple of minor things) I have taken it to a local family owned and operated RV dealer. The day of the appointment is the day the work is done, and so far, all work has been completed on that day, even the a/c install. CW told me they would have to have it for 1 week to install the a/c, and given that attitude the smaller minor things were just not worth the time and effort over fighting with them on the warranty. For me is was easier to pay a little knowing that the work would be done quickly and correctly and that if there was any problem afterwards it would be corrected immediately.

When we buy a new coach in a few years, guess who will have my business for that!

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I have had several 5th wheels over 20 years without any major problems. All but one had problems and the only Manufacturer that I never had an issue with was Heartland. I could even order parts directly. Again, maybe I was lucky. Well a couple of months ago my wife and I decided to join the ranks of Motor Home ownership. I purchased a Winnebago Vista and I must say I have been impressed with a much better quality the the 5er's ever had. Many of the options on our 5er's all came standard on MH. The interesting thing is I paid little more than I did for our Voltage. It has a high roof and slides are large, so you really don't feel cramped at all. I have towed the motorcycle and car and don't even know they are there. The big advantage is the wife can setup everything without any issues. I know there are pros and cons of both and I always said I didn't want a MH. Now that I have one I am convinced I made the correct choice. I even have a specific owners manual to to teh make and model. What a novel idea. I can order parts from the manufacter if I want to do my own work again this is a nice advantage. As for owner activities it is unbeleivable how many groups there are and the opportunities they offer for traveling, events, etc. I'm sure others have had issues with MH's but I've been very impressed with the Winnebago. Unlike Dutchmen they understand the value of Owners groups and what they can bring to the brand. We all feel sorry from what your going through and wish you the best. It is obvious good dealerships are a huge help and hopefully yours is straightened out and you will be able to enjoy your RV for many years to come.

I do need to change my signature since I'm not a Voltage Owner anymore.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post

I agree, your dealship looks they have dropped the ball from the beginning. I have the same unit as you and I've had nothing but a great experience. BUT my dealership is beyond amazing. Owner is "hands on" and his head mechanic works on my trailer. He will bash Keystone himself lol He said he regularly calls them up and says "what the f*ck were you thinking" lol

Manufacturers slap these things together because they know the dealerships will catch the rest. Not in your case unfortunately.

I just had my fresh water tank replaced, zero issues.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #17

Tennessee
As much as I complain about the numerous problems with my new camper, at least I have a good dealer. After a 6 week visit, all problems are fixed (kinda), and they even washed it and armor alled the tires.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #18

New York
good to hear that!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #19

Colorado
Sigh...well my turn for another grief story!! Stopped by Windish RV to pick up the warranty parts and parts I had ordered.

Asked them to order me two Valterra electric valves, one for the front black tank and one for the front grey tank. Get home...box has two of exactly the same valves as now...the ones with cable that won't work. Worthless to me.

Warranty...the "plug" for the Garage bathroom sink was about half the diameter needed. Opened that box, there is a new "tail piece" for a sink...it has a plug...too bad its about half the diameter of the opening in the bottom of the sink. Worthless to me.

Warranty...a replacement controller and string of LED lights for under the awning. Well, looks like the right pieces are here. So a winner!!

Geez!!!

So I've ordered valves from Valterra, I'm not sure what to do about the sink in the Garage bathroom. Have a rubber plug, but its almost too small too.

Gonna be busy in a week or so!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #20

South Carolina
Pirate, sorry to hear about all of this! We broke a drain plug, and could find no exact replacement. Finally settled on an old-fashioned rubber one from Lowes. Be advised, though, that they come in several sizes, and because of the plastic packaging, it's hard to make sure you've got the right one. I bought three; one fit the sink, the other I used in the house, and the useless one ended up in a junk drawer.