Two Month Old Kodiak 291RESL Ultimate Problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Georgia
Two Month Old Kodiak 291RESL Ultimate Problems

OK, so had this trailer for two months or so now. This is list of problems found so far. It may seem like a lot...but this is not my first TT so is pretty much par the course for just about every manufacturer. A good dealer should have fixed most of these prior to delivery inspection. Some of them I caught prior to signing dotted line, others found on two shakedown cruises. I am very handy so most of these I fix myself unless it involves >$100. It would cost me that much and more in gas to take back to dealer. I have included any solutions or fixes made.

1) Something is not right with toilet drain. It constantly clogs up and have to use a plunger on it. From what I can see down the drain it makes a right turn into the tank instead of a curve or 45 degree turn. Very bad design. No fixing this. Keep plunger by toilet and minimize use of toilet paper. Plunger $7.00. Dutchman...you need to re-design this!!!

2) Shower glass will not stay in runners on top. Cheap Design. Bounces out of track while trailer is going down road. Will probably replace myself with something better. Estimated $200 to replace with something decent.

3) Lots of cabinet trim pieces were cut off and not stained leaving bare wood. Found a stain that matches pretty close and fixed nine pieces of trim myself. Cost of stain $7.00

4) Several pull down window shades had greasy finger prints on them. Found at delivery. Parts ordered.

5) One recliner had torn "leather" on the arm and side. Found at delivery. New chair ordered.

6) TV cable to bedroom wall plate does not work. No signal at all...shows open circuit on circuit tester. Without opening up walls, taking out underneath, not sure how the hell to fix this. Will probably just run a new cable.

7) Looks like a blind person did all the caulking. This is just piss poor quality assurance. I spent about $20 re-caulking every joint on trailer plus all the kitchen and bathroom stuff that was never caulked.

8) Plastic caps on bumper will not stay in. I don't keep my hose in there anyway cause it tears the plastic. I just epoxied the caps on. Epoxy $5.00

9) Bedroom door opens into and in front of Entrance door. WTF designed this. Blocks egress during an emergency. Should open into the bedroom. I took the door down. Then filled in all holes with black milliputty. Stupid to put a door up anyway...Just the DW and I. No more door. $4.00 Milliputty.

10) Steps are too high off the ground...even on flat ground. I am 6'2" and have time with that first step with my bad knees. Built a little portable step out of scrap wood and put artificial grass on it to scrap dirt off feet.

11) AC unit is very loud.... But so was the one in my last TT.

12) Hot water is dangerously hot. So was my last TT...but seriously. It is so frickin hot it could scald a little kid. Replacing the thermostat is PIA also. New Thermostat...$17. Gotta order this.

13) Hot water heater gives off high pitched whine. No idea about this. I only hear it when bending over in that corner of trailer so will not worry about it. No moving parts though...why the heck does it whine?

14) Two of three holding tank valve t-handles fell off first trip. The stupid little screws that hold them on obviously fell out and lost the T-handles. The remaining one was just about to fall out too. One single drop of Loctite fixes this. Again...where was QA? They will vibrate off without the Loctite. Still trying to find parts to replace T-handles.

15) My dogs bed is more comfortable than the stock Queen sized mattress. This was expected. We tried to sleep on it two nights. Threw it in dumpster and bought a $800 Serta Posturepedic mattress. Dang thing is more comfortable than my bed at home now....only it added more to my trailer tongue weight.

16) Half of inside lights are LED and the others incandescent??? Really??? this is really penny pinching cheapness. I replaced the other bulbs with LED's...cost me about $21

17) Two drawer runners have already broke. These were installed incorrectly and I found on initial inspection. Replacement parts ordered. I told dealer to give to me and I would install this time.

18) Breakaway switch lanyard fell off somewhere down the road. The clip is gone and wire is hanging there. The brakes did not engage....(Probably a good thing). This is a big WTF. Again no Quality assurance. IF I had lost trailer, the brakes would not have engaged. I ordered a new breakaway switch and will install myself. The wiring seems to be correct. Must have been a defective switch....I hope.

19) Whoever applied lap sealant to one corner of front vent completely missed vent. Again...WTF Quality Inspector. I found this when I was replacing my two ****ty factory vents with Fantastic Thermal/Rain sensing fans. No evidence of water leak at that location thank goodness but it was only a matter of time. Installing the fans is pretty easy btw. Hardest part is getting off all the old lap sealant...since it is new trailer was still fairly soft.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Illinois
What do you expect for the 10's of thousands of dollars we spend on these things. Frankly, I think they want us to fix this stuff by ourselves. We're probably doing ourselves a disservice by saying "screw it", and just doing it at home. Good thing is you know it's fixed right. Congratulations anyway.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Tennessee
Yikes, you could have fixed #15 for $100 with a foam topper, it was better than our home bed until out recent purple mattress purchase. Now that's comfy.

How on earth do you plunge an RV toilet? They should all drain straight down into the black tank. Disgusting
Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
#13 sounds like a head space issue.

When the water heater is cool, pull the pressure relief valve and allow excess water to drain out, that will create a air pocket at the top aka headspace. Should make the whine go away.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Yikes, you could have fixed #15 for $100 with a foam topper, it was better than our home bed until out recent purple mattress purchase. Now that's comfy.

How on earth do you plunge an RV toilet? They should all drain straight down into the black tank. Disgusting
Personally I don't like memory foam mattresses or toppers. They feel "hot" to me. After we got the mattress stopped by a bed/bath/beyond and got a couple of these "cooling pillows". Damn if I can figure out how they work...some kind of phase change gel or something but they do get very cool when you press on them and feel great.

As far as plunging...get the old toilet plunger, pour some water on top for seal, and plug away. From what I can tell the nasty stuff goes down hole and then through a 90 elbow and into the tank. Stuff seems to pile up in that elbow. Has built up as high as toilet which is not good. VERY VERY POOR design.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Strange on how that toilet is plumbed. Every RV I have owned the toilet was a straight shot into the black tank. How else you gonna know how full the tank is?! (we all know how accurate the stock tank level indicators are)

Aaron
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #7

Florida
Cheap trailers

I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you have had with your new trailer. I enjoy fixing my trailer but sounds like you have to almost rebuild yours? I will never buy a new one as it seems the used ones have "some" of the bugs worked out. From what I have seen these things might last 10 years if you maintain them? Mine is 2010 so I figure I have a few more years left before it goes to Travel Trailer Heaven!! I am always fixing something on it. You are not alone!!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

Arizona
Number 8,,,Stealer told me ( the walk through was with a mechanic) to drill holes in top and sit a long though the plastic cap on the rearbumper, to keep them from falling out, I dont use it either as I heard the weld can rust and poke holes through your P tube..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Texas
I hate to here this, I just picked up the same trailer 2 days ago.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

Texas
Kodiak Ultimate 291RESL

1 week old, leveling system is gone out , right jack is out, ( 2 )control panels out, heat and ac run at the same time. Swing out door handle will not lock in place. The dealers do not have parts to fix any of this. They tell me it will be a week if i'am for the parts.
The way I think, I got money I will not have my New Trailer ( one week old)for a couple weeks.

I would not buy one of these for a few months (6) to make sure the Co. that makes these get all the bugs out
Old 11-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

North Carolina
That is one reason why when I bought my Travel Trailer this year I opted for the 6 year bumper to bumper warranty they offered. I'm sure something will happen within that time. Quality is piss poor on these things. Not only the cheaper ones but I have seen the same quality on the high dollar ones too.
bbmfkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #12

Colorado
Ford1, what ended up happening witht he leveling system and the other problems you listed?
onedoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #13

Texas
The Dealer had it for 3 weeks, before they find the problems , You could say i was pissed at the dealer. They called me 3 times and said it was fixed, But it was not.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #14

Colorado
how do you like the leveling system?
onedoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

Tennessee
What stain did you use, same concern on my 2 month old 291RESL
Also noise from hot water heater could be adjustment of the opening where air and propane mix. Can't think of the proper name but had same noise from barbecue before adjusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedoubles View Post
Ford1, what ended up happening witht he leveling system and the other problems you listed?

I missed having leveling system in my 2017 Kodiak by 2 months, am I better off without it. I am a little pissed off. Also missed out on touch screen instead of switches

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
I missed having leveling system in my 2017 Kodiak by 2 months, am I better off without it. I am a little pissed off. Also missed out on touch screen instead of switches

Dunno about the leveling system. They aren't too hard to install. Check out BigFoot Leveling. I have heard plenty of horror stories about the touch screen systems. Basically if the remote or screen craps out you are screwed because there isn't a manual backup. I don't have a problem with technology, but quite often it is used inappropriately with no thought as to the issues it may cause.

Aaron
Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #18

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Dunno about the leveling system. They aren't too hard to install. Check out BigFoot Leveling. I have heard plenty of horror stories about the touch screen systems. Basically if the remote or screen craps out you are screwed because there isn't a manual backup. I don't have a problem with technology, but quite often it is used inappropriately with no thought as to the issues it may cause.

Aaron
For iN-Command there is an override knob and switch located on the BCM (Body Control Module). You remove the thumb screw and cover to access them. You can actuate all motor functions from here.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
For iN-Command there is an override knob and switch located on the BCM (Body Control Module). You remove the thumb screw and cover to access them. You can actuate all motor functions from here.
Where is the BCM located? The one thread I was reading was for a motorhome where EVERYTHING was controlled from a touch screen remote. The remote went bad and they could not even turn on the bedroom lights!

Aaron
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #20

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Where is the BCM located? The one thread I was reading was for a motorhome where EVERYTHING was controlled from a touch screen remote. The remote went bad and they could not even turn on the bedroom lights!

Aaron
Mine is located in the front storage area. Black box on the right side of the picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	iN-Command.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	3834

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote