Time to say goodbye - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Georgia
Time to say goodbye

Well the wife and I have been looking at fifth wheels and researching them pretty hard. We narrowed it down to 2 that were the best for us so we took off this past weekend to look at them in person. So long story short we bought a 2015 Sprinter 304RKS. We hope to take delivery this coming weekend. I hope I don't shoot myself for doing this, we have only had 2 little issues with our Kodiak. This is a great site and I will still keep and eye on it.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:35 AM   #2

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak krusin View Post
Well the wife and I have been looking at fifth wheels and researching them pretty hard. We narrowed it down to 2 that were the best for us so we took off this past weekend to look at them in person. So long story short we bought a 2015 Sprinter 304RKS. We hope to take delivery this coming weekend. I hope I don't shoot myself for doing this, we have only had 2 little issues with our Kodiak. This is a great site and I will still keep and eye on it.
We just completed our first year with our 2014 300BHSL. All in all after overcoming a few problems, we have been very happy. We too have been thinking about going to a 5th wheel when we grow up and the grandkids get tired of traveling with us. How did you decide to go with the Sprinter? Also, what kind of problems did you have with the Kodiak?

RJKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #3

Georgia
Me and the wife saw a sprinter at the Atlanta RV show so I started looking into them and found that they are very reasonable in price. We looked into a lot of different brands and ended up back at the sprinter. Our problems have been very minor. The switch for the water heater went out on our first trip and the cap for the water pump was broke. Didn't know that till I was winterizing it. We had one self inflicted issue, one of the doors on the pantry came open in transit and got caught on the kitchen slide. Home depot has exact match hinges if your wondering. We like the unit but don't need the bunk house so it was easy when we got offered a really good trade and they had a pretty good price on the 5th we wanted.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Maryland
would like to speak with other 300BHSL owners

Greetings, We recently purchased a new 2015 300BHSL and are getting ready to take it out on it's first trip. If you are available for some questions can you please reply here..

Thanks!

Matt

2011 Suburban 2500
2015 Kodiak 300BHSL
Attached Images

mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #5

Georgia
mjcarte, ask away.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Maryland
1. Where are the slide controllers located for each of the slideouts?
2. Have you noticed the rear bedroom being warmer than the others?
3. Did you have any problem with the Living room slideout?
Thanks!

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #7

Maryland
4. Where is the water pump located?

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 AM   #8

Georgia
1. The slide controls are on a panel on the right when you come in the door. It has switches for everything slides, water heater, water pump, ect.
2. The back room is always hotter with the heat on. The heater is next to the bunks on the kitchen side so it makes it hot in there.
3. I didn't have any issues with any of my slides.
4. My water pump was under the bottom bunk next to the water heater. I can see that your bunk room is different than my was so Im not totally sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Maryland
In regards to the slide controller, I wasn't asking about the toggle buttons, but the actual computer controllers.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

Maryland
I read on another post from someone that they installed a dampener/diverter on the rear bedroom vent.

As for the slides, I have to inspect the rails on the living room slide as per the video from the manufacturer. something tells me that the rails are not aligned correctly. After I fully extend the slide, I have to assist it when retracting the slide by pushing from the outside till it gets about 1/3 the way in, then it is fine.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #11

Maryland
Went out this past weekend.

The water pump is located in the rear of the trailer under the cabinets between the water heater and the outside kitchen. It is accessible from the bottom drawer and by removing the panel in the cabinet under the one bed that is over the outside kitchen.

I still haven't located the the slide-out computer controllers. I'm thinking they are located under the belly of the trailer but am still looking.

Discovered several problem that were easily fixed:

1. The shower hose connector between the Hot/Cold faucets was cracked and leaking; presumably due to water in the line during the winter (the dealer performed the winterization). I replaced it myself.

2. Leak in roof above master bedroom. I discovered during rain storm water running down the wall from the ceiling to the floor. Looked at roof in that corner and discovered that there was a small hole where the metal portion of the front of the trailer meets the rubber roof. The caulking they applied over the brace apparently didn't ooze enough. Since I applied caulking into that hole, I haven't seen any more rain water inside the trailer.

3. My 125 lbs son sleeps on the convertible table in the rear of the trailer. When he sat down hard on the table-top when it was in the down position, the brace supporting the table-top came loose from the seat support. I discovered it was connected to the seat with 3 wood screws and only a few dabs of cheap glue (I was able to rub the glue off with just my thumb). I used Gorilla Glue and 6 wood screws to secure the brace in place. Also went to all the other braces in the trailer and did the same.

Overall we are still getting used to new trailer. This is our second trailer as our first, a 2002 Layton Scout 310 was getting small for our growing family.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #12

Maryland
I forgot to mention, I measured the rails based on the manufacturers recommendation (Lippert) and they were within the 1/8" recommendation as posted.

When we went to retract the slide this past weekend, I barely had to push from the outside. I'm beginning to think that it has "fixed" itself with the use.

We shall see.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

Maryland
After inspecting the rails alignment per manufacturer, we are still experiencing problems retracting the living-room slide. Maybe it is just snug and needs to be used, but I am not going to wait too long. We are using it every weekend for the next month so if it is still a problem, then we are going to take it in for repair.

I am still trying to find the computer controller box for the slideouts. Am beginning to think they are tucked away under the chassis somewhere. And since the belly is enclosed, I'm not sure I want to venture into that.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #14

Maryland
Update: After lubricating the slide-outs and ensuring that the trailer is level, we have not had any other problem with them.

I did have to re-caulk the shower panels as it was leaking in several places. I figure with the towing and movement of the trailer, the original caulking (if there was any to begin with) came loose. Either way, after re-caulking the panels, all is well again.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 AM   #15

Ontario
Matt,

If you take the cover/vent off below the pantry (4 screws) you will find all three controllers for the slides along with the controls/relays for the remote for the slides as well. There is also a fuse (2 or 3 amp I believe) for the LED awning lights... I had to do quite a bit of searching when my lights quit due to a pinched wire under the awning hardware. We have had our 2014 300BHSL and love it. We have had very little issues with it. We do find the rear bunk warmer as well. I will be looking for the diverter modification soon Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask!

Matthew

2009 F150 4X4 5.4L
2014 Kodiak 300BHSL
MatthewJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #16

Maryland
Mr. Matthew,
Thanks. I will have to look there when I go on our next trip. I take it from your post that you have a remote for your slides; I didn't get that "option" with mine and am now wondering how hard it would be and what additional hardware I would need to put that in?
While you are installing the diverter in the rear, you may also want to check your heater ducting to make sure that it is not the cheap stuff; I've heard others say that they replaced them with insulated ducting. Also have some aluminum tape when you do it to help seal the connections...

Thanks!

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS