Thinking about a 2017 Kodak Ultimate 290rlsl... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Virginia
Thinking about a 2017 Kodak Ultimate 290rlsl...

Hello,
We are newbies to the Dutchmen line. We currently own a Jayco and have been very pleased but need a little more space. We don't like the new Jayco's and really like the Kodak ultimate 290 rlsl floor plan. I have read some of the threads here that make me a little nervous about changing brands. Any advice?? We would appreciate any helpful insight you might offer. Thanks!

Bjarrett7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Alberta
We too wanted more room and we as well owned a Jayco trailer. We had the opinion that Jayco fit and finish was very good for the money you pay. We don't feel that way anymore. What I mean is that the price of trailers went up where we live but the quality stayed the same. The higher price inspired us to look at other brands such as Dutchmen, specifically Kodak (which we felt when comparing apples to apples) was a step up in fit and finish than Jayco. Last year we decided on a 2016 Kodiak Ultimate 320 BHSL and have been very happy with the decision. Just like any other brand out there though, you'll always have and find those little things where you think to yourself, why would they do that? And it is no different on our Kodiak.

vincent.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.boyd View Post
We too wanted more room and we as well owned a Jayco trailer. We had the opinion that Jayco fit and finish was very good for the money you pay. We don't feel that way anymore. What I mean is that the price of trailers went up where we live but the quality stayed the same. The higher price inspired us to look at other brands such as Dutchmen, specifically Kodak (which we felt when comparing apples to apples) was a step up in fit and finish than Jayco. Last year we decided on a 2016 Kodiak Ultimate 320 BHSL and have been very happy with the decision. Just like any other brand out there though, you'll always have and find those little things where you think to yourself, why would they do that? And it is no different on our Kodiak.
Thanks for sharing that! We looked at Jayco Jayflights and Whitehawks but felt like they were not very youthful looking... heavy feeling decor and flimsy. We could see wallpaper peeling off the walls, weird doors and other stuff. We have a few things on our wishlist and this Kodiak's floor plan fills them all. We really like the decor too, we haven't seen one yet because we will need to drive 2 hours to a dealer. Just trying to find out as much as I can before we make the trip.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

Virginia
By the way... I haven't been able to see what kind of mattress comes with this s camper. Is t comfortable? I know that's a matter of opinion but I am curious to know what type of mattress comes with the camper. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Alberta
Thinking about a 2017 Kodak Ultimate 290rlsl...

I find it a little soft. We had a hybrid trailer before, which that bed is basically a thin yoga pad on a flat board. But I like a hard mattress. Our only one real complaint is that the bed/mattress is a little short, ours is not a full 60x80 queen mattress (I don't believe).
Old 03-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

Virginia
What are the differences between the aerolite and Kodiak?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

Alberta
Aerolite and Coleman seem to be the entry budget level of Dutchmen's line. Kodiak is more to the higher end I believe. I'm sure if I'm incorrect I'll hear it on here from other members.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarrett7 View Post
What are the differences between the aerolite and Kodiak?
Sticker color and price. I have a friend with the similar Kodiak version of my Aerolite, and they're basically identical inside. My Aerolite diamond package came with a full fiberglass nose, solid surface kitchen counter tops, 15k air conditioner. His had a standard nose, but had solid surface in the kitchen and the bathroom(my bathroom, formica)and a 13k air conditioner. I believe they market Kodiak to be a step up, but depending on the package, not so much.

I would be more concerned with the features you want as opposed to one over the other.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Sticker color and price. I have a friend with the similar Kodiak version of my Aerolite, and they're basically identical inside. My Aerolite diamond package came with a full fiberglass nose, solid surface kitchen counter tops, 15k air conditioner. His had a standard nose, but had solid surface in the kitchen and the bathroom(my bathroom, formica)and a 13k air conditioner. I believe they market Kodiak to be a step up, but depending on the package, not so much.

I would be more concerned with the features you want as opposed to one over the other.
Thanks for responding. I am curious to know about your experience with your aerolite? I have read so many negative posts that is has almost scared me away! Maybe thats a good thing? But I really love the layout, finish and amenities that Aerolite and Kodiak offer. Advice?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for responding. I am curious to know about your experience with your aerolite? I have read so many negative posts that is has almost scared me away! Maybe thats a good thing? But I really love the layout, finish and amenities that Aerolite and Kodiak offer. Advice?
It's been mostly positive, the few problems I have had are from the air conditioner and the fridge, both replaced under warranty. Can't really blame Dutchman for that. The actual camper has been mostly trouble free, just a few tweaks here and there on some shoddy craftsmanship. We are to the point of just using it as much as possible and enjoying it.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #11

Kentucky
My wife and I have a 2017 Dutchmen Aerolite 284BHSL and are very happy with it.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Hello,

We are newbies to the Dutchmen line. We currently own a Jayco and have been very pleased but need a little more space. We don't like the new Jayco's and really like the Kodak ultimate 290 rlsl floor plan. I have read some of the threads here that make me a little nervous about changing brands. Any advice?? We would appreciate any helpful insight you might offer. Thanks!

My new rig. 2017 Kodiak 291RESL, truly love it [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.boyd View Post

Agree, I sometimes find myself saying wtf why would they design it like that. All in all still love my Kodiak

Old 04-01-2017, 05:29 AM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that! We looked at Jayco Jayflights and Whitehawks but felt like they were not very youthful looking... heavy feeling decor and flimsy. We could see wallpaper peeling off the walls, weird doors and other stuff. We have a few things on our wishlist and this Kodiak's floor plan fills them all. We really like the decor too, we haven't seen one yet because we will need to drive 2 hours to a dealer. Just trying to find out as much as I can before we make the trip.

Where do you live, I've got a great Kodiak dealer for you

Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:

I own a Kodiak and absolutely love it
Keep in mind you can't please everybody
All campers have their concerns no matter what brand or price
Need to fine a good dealer, that's MOST important. I was lucky to fine the best dealer

Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
Where do you live, I've got a great Kodiak dealer for you

We live in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. The closest dealer us about 2 hours away.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #17

Virginia
Quote:
I own a Kodiak and absolutely love it
Keep in mind you can't please everybody
All campers have their concerns no matter what brand or price
Need to fine a good dealer, that's MOST important. I was lucky to fine the best dealer

ok... I am VERY curious to know who you used?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #18

Virginia
Quote:
My new rig. 2017 Kodiak 291RESL, truly love it [emoji7]

Is this your first Kodiak or Dutchmen product? Have you taken it on its maiden voyage yet? How did it handle?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
ok... I am VERY curious to know who you used?

Bankston Motorhomes
4 locations 2 in Alabama, 2 in Tennessee
Main location is in Huntsville Alabama
Let me know if you plan on going there, I'm in pretty good with them.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Ive only had 2 problems with my aerolite. First, the dvd player was hooked up wrong. Only found that out because it was raining to hard to sit out side. Second, the shower door is wrong. Should be a slider, but is a swing open. I fixed the radio, doucheman won't fix the shower door.