Thinking about a 2017 Kodak Ultimate 290rlsl... - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #21

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWags View Post
Ive only had 2 problems with my aerolite. First, the dvd player was hooked up wrong. Only found that out because it was raining to hard to sit out side. Second, the shower door is wrong. Should be a slider, but is a swing open. I fixed the radio, doucheman won't fix the shower door.
Right now we are trying to decide between a coachmen 279 liberty edition and the Kodiak ultra. Do you have any thoughts or comparisons?

Bjarrett7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #22

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarrett7 View Post
Right now we are trying to decide between a coachmen 279 liberty edition and the Kodiak ultra. Do you have any thoughts or comparisons?
If you have it narrowed down to two, I would just go with the layout you like better.
We sacrificed clothing storage because we wanted an outdoor kitchen, we only camp for 3-5 day stretches, so storage isn't a big issue. I would't think there's a noticeable difference between quality of build between the two.

I would expect minor problems with each and base it on price and what better fits your needs, not manufacturer. If you have a good dealer a few small problems won't be an issue.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #23

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarrett7 View Post
Hello,
We are newbies to the Dutchmen line. We currently own a Jayco and have been very pleased but need a little more space. We don't like the new Jayco's and really like the Kodak ultimate 290 rlsl floor plan. I have read some of the threads here that make me a little nervous about changing brands. Any advice?? We would appreciate any helpful insight you might offer. Thanks!

I too am considering a Kodiak or Aerolite over a Jayco. What about these threads makes you nervous about these brands?
bobcloughjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcloughjr View Post
I too am considering a Kodiak or Aerolite over a Jayco. What about these threads makes you nervous about these brands?
Outside of a few niche manufacturers everybody's stuff is a crap shoot. You HAVE to do a thorough walk through BEFORE you put money down or sign on the dotted line. When I bought my unit I spent about 2 hours going through and trying everything. I generated a fairly small punch list and gave it to the service manager. It was all completed before we signed the contract. I looked at similar unit that was on the lot and would not have purchased it even at a deep discount, there were just too many obvious fit and finish issues with it.

My basic advice is find a floor plan you like, find a dealer that has it that you can work with, then worry about the manufacturer. They all buy the same basic components. How well they put them together is what counts. Also be forewarned that if you buy from a dealer far away from home the local dealer may refuse to do warranty work on it, or put you at the end of the line. The RV Industry is, unfortunately, not like the automotive industry.

I also recommend knowing how to fix the small stuff yourself, save the warranty for the big stuff.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #25

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Outside of a few niche manufacturers everybody's stuff is a crap shoot. You HAVE to do a thorough walk through BEFORE you put money down or sign on the dotted line. When I bought my unit I spent about 2 hours going through and trying everything. I generated a fairly small punch list and gave it to the service manager. It was all completed before we signed the contract. I looked at similar unit that was on the lot and would not have purchased it even at a deep discount, there were just too many obvious fit and finish issues with it.

My basic advice is find a floor plan you like, find a dealer that has it that you can work with, then worry about the manufacturer. They all buy the same basic components. How well they put them together is what counts. Also be forewarned that if you buy from a dealer far away from home the local dealer may refuse to do warranty work on it, or put you at the end of the line. The RV Industry is, unfortunately, not like the automotive industry.

I also recommend knowing how to fix the small stuff yourself, save the warranty for the big stuff.

Aaron

Yup on all accounts.

vincent.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote